•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

White fuzzy glare when taking DSO pictures

Beginner Astrophotography Optics Reflector
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nicobo

Nicobo

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2022 - 06:37 AM

Hi, please correct me if I'm in the wrong forum.

I got a 4'' dob reflector some days ago and took some pictures, it works well with planetary and great with the moon, but whenever I attach my phone and take pictures of DSOs (ISO of 3200, maximum my phone allows), there is a white fuzzy patch whose position depends on how I move my phone when attached.

https://imgur.com/a/VQeGPbA

Here are some pictures of Omega Centauri/NGC 5139

And two more I took with the telescope capped and maximum exposure, maybe that white circle is the same glare I see?

I think it might be there because of the moon, of note that it was at the zenith, but not necessarily behind me -of course, no artifficial lights behind me.

Edit: My telescope, if not perfectly well collimated, is pretty decently so, idk if it has anything to do with the glare, It might be possible that this specific telescope can't be collimated

Edited by Nicobo, 20 May 2022 - 07:09 AM.

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 20 May 2022 - 07:09 AM

Afocal is one of the hardest ways to image DS, and especially with dob. Hope you had some solid attachment method.
Haven't done that much (apart from some experimental bird imaging).
There I had to use zoom in my phone to get better results.
And to get even more professional you could try taking flat frames.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Astrophotography, Optics, Reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics