•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M3 revisited

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 the Elf

the Elf

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 21 May 2022 - 12:58 PM

Dears,

this data was taken almost one month ago. Since that day I'm fighting that data to make it look halfway decent. I'd like to thank Freddy (F.Meiresonne) for processing my first stack. As the title suggests I have been there before back in 2019. At the time still using the T3i and to got out more detail the T3i mono conversion for clear L. The current image is taken with the newer 800D. In processing I used individual stacking of the three channels to get rid of the atmospheric dispersion. For noise reduction I used Jonathan Rista's method. Finally a bit of wavelet sharpening was used to give it some life. I guess this is the secret behind some unknown to me Star Tools method Freddy uses to get stunning results. So, here it is:

M3_2022_CN.jpg

As always, details and higher res on my website:

https://www.elf-of-l...bj_M3_2022.html

This is Freddy's version of my data:

FM.jpg

If anyone wants to process my stack, it is available thru my download page. Direct link:

https://www.elf-of-l..._58x3minOSC.tif

C&C welcome!

CS

the Elf

• F.Meiresonne, Magellanico, aacc66 and 9 others like this

#2 the Elf

the Elf

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2022 - 01:04 PM

PS: I did not try to resemble Freddy's version. I only tried to pick up a bit of that sparkling effect but other than that stay with my style.

#3 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 21 May 2022 - 01:16 PM

Nice image.  I like your version better, it looks more natural, and the core isn't overexposed.  

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 21 May 2022 - 02:16 PM

Quick hack job in PI.

Better version here.

https://www.astrobin.../full/7jvijm/0/

anothers M3 V2.jpg

Edited by bobzeq25, 21 May 2022 - 02:44 PM.

• AdrianoMS and EPinNC like this

#5 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 21 May 2022 - 02:25 PM

Since the stack is public here a better resolution image of the jpg in the post of The Elf

Not perfect , some artifacts and a bit of a greenish cast towards the center, anyhow better then the jpg

https://www.cloudyni...738_2793597.png

Really love this stack, it has a myriade of stars, if i did not know better i would swear this stack was made through a much bigger aperture scope.

• Mike Spooner likes this

#6 EPinNC

EPinNC

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

Posted 21 May 2022 - 07:27 PM

Beautiful image!  Fun to work with really good data.

M3_58x3minOSC-bge-pcc-asinh-histadj-RTlumnr-GIMPlumcurv-GIMPtemp-GIMPsat-GIMPblack-1600x1600-80pct.jpg

SiriL 1.0.2
* cropped to 2500x2500px, because I think it deserves a full frame
* background extraction
* photometric color calibration
* asinh transformation, stretch factor 500
* manual histogram stretch, trying not to max out the core

RawTherapee 5.8
* very slight luminance noise reduction in darker regions

GIMP 2.10.28
* luminance curve adjustment, to darken the low end, and very (very) slight reduction in the high end to keep the core (although it is still a bit hot)
* slight temperature reduction, because the PCC made it a bit yellow
* saturation increase to bring out the different star colors a bit (some might like more)
* slight black point adjustment to make it "pop"
* slight sharpening to crisp up the stars
* saved as 1600x1600px .jpg at 80%, just to get it down to fit here (the 2500x2500px is nicer, but it's 9MB)

Edited by EPinNC, 21 May 2022 - 07:27 PM.

• bobzeq25 and BPoletti like this

#7 vidrazor

vidrazor

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North Bergen, NJ

Posted 21 May 2022 - 09:20 PM

Nice shot. One day I may just shoot again, maybe a target like this. smile.gif

Did you shoot with a mirror scope? There's a odd ring on the upper left that looks like an off-axis reflection of a mirror. Your camera had some color banding going on in the shadows, I neutralized them with a hue/sat adjustment layer in Photoshop through a luminosity mask to only affect the skies, and carefully cloned out the ring.

Notice the color bands in this exaggerated expansion...

Attached Thumbnails

• color banding.jpg

#8 vidrazor

vidrazor

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North Bergen, NJ

Posted 21 May 2022 - 09:23 PM

...and here's the image with the ring removed and the skies neutralized. You have some mild ringing artifacts in your core stars, maybe try a separate render for them? Anyway, great work as usual.

Attached Thumbnails

• M3_Adjusted.jpg

• bobzeq25, BPoletti and EPinNC like this

#9 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

Posted 22 May 2022 - 01:58 AM

Did you shoot with a mirror scope? There's a odd ring on the upper left that looks like an off-axis reflection of a mirror. Your camera had some color banding going on in the shadows, I neutralized them with a hue/sat adjustment layer in Photoshop through a luminosity mask to only affect the skies, and carefully cloned out the ring.

Noticed the ring too, i thought it was a dustspot ...??

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 22 May 2022 - 02:55 AM.

#10 EPinNC

EPinNC

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

Posted 22 May 2022 - 06:33 AM

I should have included this link to my 2500x2500px edit (about 9MB):

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

I did not do any sharpening or deconvolution on this larger file.  Sometimes those techniques help, and sometimes they just seem to introduce weird artifacts.  That means that I don't really understand what I'm doing.  (Although a certain degree of deconvolution seems to work really well on the Moon.)

#11 the Elf

the Elf

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2022 - 09:24 AM

I guess some dust dropped onto the sensor when I shot the flats so that there is a compensation for something that wasn't there before. The shape is the central obstruction of the RC8. I did not attempt to correct it and was waiting for someone to see it. So you are the winner in this contest.

#12 the Elf

the Elf

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2022 - 09:32 AM

...and here's the image with the ring removed and the skies neutralized. You have some mild ringing artifacts in your core stars, maybe try a separate render for them? Anyway, great work as usual.

I'm still troubled finding the best settings in deconvolution for globs. Someone said global bright solves the problem but for me it does not. And yes, it is a Canon! There must be color bands. Thank you for putting so much work to my data.

#13 the Elf

the Elf

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2022 - 09:38 AM

Quick hack job in PI.

Better version here.

https://www.astrobin.../full/7jvijm/0/

attachicon.gifanothers M3 V2.jpg

Thank you for processing my data. Probably you want to point out that a different color balance and a stronger stretch makes up a nice image as well. Other than that your processing contains the typical arcsinh artifacts in bright stars, tons of noise and deconvolution or sharpening artefacts. So indeed, this is just a hack. I like the color, though.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#14 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

Posted 22 May 2022 - 12:04 PM

I guess some dust dropped onto the sensor when I shot the flats so that there is a compensation for something that wasn't there before. The shape is the central obstruction of the RC8. I did not attempt to correct it and was waiting for someone to see it. So you are the winner in this contest.

I did see it, but i indeed i did not mention it....a lot of 'things' sometimes show up...i cropped it out...

#15 George Simon

George Simon

Viking 1

• Loc: Chesnee, SC

Posted 22 May 2022 - 01:59 PM

Elf, thanks for sharing your high-quality data. Here is another StarTools rendition:

M3_58x3minOSC Processed.jpeg

And here is a link to better-quality version: https://www.cloudyni...rocessed/large/.

• the Elf likes this

#16 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

Posted 23 May 2022 - 07:59 AM

Another go.

Less coloring,tried to fight to color disperison but that has its negative  effect on the sparkling thing. I got less stars so it seems...

In the end i like to blue/orange approach more i guess...

Attached Thumbnails

• M3TheElfCropped.jpg

• Tropobob, the Elf and BPoletti like this

#17 the Elf

the Elf

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2022 - 02:22 PM

George,

I love your colors. That's exactly as I like it.

Freddy, not saying yours is bad. It has this popping effect that I do not have in my processing.

Quite amazing how different the result of two ST users can be! What I learn from this thread as well as from my "Nothing to do?" is that ST and PI can achieve almost identical results. Only how you get there is quite different.

#18 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 23 May 2022 - 03:12 PM

George,

I love your colors. That's exactly as I like it.

Freddy, not saying yours is bad. It has this popping effect that I do not have in my processing.

Quite amazing how different the result of two ST users can be! What I learn from this thread as well as from my "Nothing to do?" is that ST and PI can achieve almost identical results. Only how you get there is quite different.

Yep.  Given the same data, Ivo Jager can make something better in StarTools than what most people can do in PI.

But with the same data, Vicent Peris can make something better in PI that most anyone can make in most anything.

<smile>

It's not all about the software.

Edited by bobzeq25, 23 May 2022 - 03:15 PM.

• the Elf likes this

#19 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

Posted 24 May 2022 - 01:33 AM

Yep.  Given the same data, Ivo Jager can make something better in StarTools than what most people can do in PI.

But with the same data, Vicent Peris can make something better in PI that most anyone can make in most anything.

<smile>

It's not all about the software.

It is always the man . Imho the man behind the camera and screen is the most important parameter in the whole process. Off course software sure helps and makes things easier. 

It takes time.

• bobzeq25 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics