•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunt 50mm on a Ioptron Skyguider Pro

Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mfratto

mfratto

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Syracuse, NY

Posted 21 May 2022 - 04:14 PM

I have a Lunt 50mm (its coming, soon) with a Feathertouch, B600 and I play to attach an ASI183 to it for imaging.

I want a portable mount that I can use with it. The Ioptron SkyguiderPro looks like a good choice but I can't find if the mount will work well with the Lunt. The Mounts capacity is 11lbs and I think the scope will be 8ish lbs. Anyone know. I want to order the mount soon.

Thanks

#2 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Voyager 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 21 May 2022 - 04:23 PM

Hi,

What's your budget for the mount?

Are you looking to do visual and imaging or just imaging?

What sort of weight are you comfortable with?

Do you want an EQ mount or prefer an Alt-Az mount?

Do you want computer control or just manual control?

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 21 May 2022 - 04:24 PM.

#3 mfratto

mfratto

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2022 - 06:12 PM

I want to spend about $600 USD. I want something light and portable with tracking to use it for both solar observing. I also want to put a DSLR or similar camera on it for wide field. 

Really my question is what is the weight of a Lunt 50mm with a B600 (I can't find it on Lunt's site and they are closed on the week-end) and an ASI 183 (or an EP) and if the mount will support it well.

#4 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Voyager 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 21 May 2022 - 06:35 PM

Hi,

The Lunt 50 & 6mm BF weighs hardly nothing, at 4lbs 8oz on its own.

Check out the SkyWatcher AZ GTi series, can't think of anything better that's still available (other than iOptron Cube Pro but its discontinued).

https://www.bhphotov...910070302008005

There's a version of it with the HelioFind system to track the sun built in for a bit more.

https://www.highpoin...BgaAuYeEALw_wcB

Very best,

• mfratto likes this

#5 mfratto

mfratto

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2022 - 08:42 AM

Hi,

The Lunt 50 & 6mm BF weighs hardly nothing, at 4lbs 8oz on its own.

Check out the SkyWatcher AZ GTi series, can't think of anything better that's still available (other than iOptron Cube Pro but its discontinued).

https://www.bhphotov...910070302008005

There's a version of it with the HelioFind system to track the sun built in for a bit more.

https://www.highpoin...BgaAuYeEALw_wcB

Very best,

Thanks. That's an interesting choice. I guess I have an irrational bias for EQ mounts. But in this case, an Alt-Az would be more than adequate. Having built-in wireless, goto, and so forth is a nice addition. One of thing ways I want to use this is to set it up on my back patio with my solar scope during the day and drive it from my office while I'm working, so remote connectivity is a must. I was trying to workout how to do it with the Skyguider Pro and I think I'd need to get the synscan and have a laptop cabled up. More stuff to set up which is not attractive.

• MalVeauX likes this

#6 Helen P

Helen P

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2022 - 09:17 AM

A thing you have to factor in here:

Tuning the Lunt will put rather a lot of (assymetrical) force on the OTA and mount....one should be able to test it wether you don't throw it of target while doing so on this mount.

As for the solarquest muont by Skywather mentioned here already: I use one with the Lunt 50 and it is a wonderful combination. very light and compact. It indeed autpoints to the sun and tracks very well without any polar aligment of the mount. It is put down and go. You also don't need a  couterweight, another weightsaver.

Disadvantages:

1. You'll have the problem with the scope going off target while tuning, but the advantages of light weight and autopointing+tracking make me happily live with that.

2. You really have to invest in a sturdier tripod than the one delivered standard with the Solarquest: The standard tripod will bend under the force of tuning the Lunt. Even without tuning it is marginal and frustrating to use. The half pillar on the other hand is a good piece of kit.

As for the Alt-Az aspect: I tested it with vids of 6000 frames (not gone further than that) @ 30FPS  and the field rotation can still be handled by AS3

As it is the Solarquest is very good and well priced for what it does, but I'd like to see an option where you can control centering the solar image in the sweet spot of your scope from an external device and not on the mount.

#7 mfratto

mfratto

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2022 - 11:56 AM

Thanks Helen, the advice on the pressure tuner is solid. Can it be mitigated by using two hands? One to steady the OTA and the other to turn?

How well is the tracking. If I can get a few hours where it stays in the FOV, that would be OK. If it drifts out more quickly, I'd rather have a remote control to bring it back into center.

For a tripod, I have s surveyors tripod that may work well (it's a 5/8 post but I have an adapter to 1/4), assuming the viewer swings clear on the bottom. I'd imagine it should.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics