•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M13 with more integration time

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 22 May 2022 - 03:13 AM

This is my last glob for now...

Inspired by the myriad of stars in M3 "The Elf' has captured i decided to try to get more stars in my M13. So i added just over 2 hours.

Total integration time is now 4 hr and 21 min

Tried to get a bit less color towards blue, allthough i admit i like the blue 

My non glob stars are still a work in progress, i know i have artifacts, but that it is  just the way it is for now. I will not get frustrated about that, allthough i will try to get rid of those artifacts in the future..after all this is a hobby. Hobbys may not lead to frustration.

Guiding on this second night went incredible good , PHD2 log reported 0,57 RMS in the first guide log, then some clouds rolled in, i allready had closed down my computer and then realized the clouds had departed. So i booted it up again.

Scope slewed from zero pos to M13 again flawlessly, spot on...second guiding session was 0,52 RMS. Must have been a calm night, allthough there was some wind...

Canon 800D/T7i, unmodded, 130mm TS APO at F/7 with FF but  no reducer

https://www.cloudyni...796_7377137.png

Processed in Startools, tweaked some color in GIMP

Personaly i like it.

As always , comments welcome

Attached Thumbnails

• M13CroppedLessColor.jpg

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 22 May 2022 - 03:15 AM.

• Magellanico, nofxrx, lukasik and 22 others like this

#2 rob1986

rob1986

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 May 2022 - 03:25 AM

The elf does a great job.

Nice resolution.

#3 Starman47

Starman47

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bortle 5 and getting more light polluted each day

Posted 22 May 2022 - 04:12 AM

Nice

#4 EPinNC

EPinNC

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

Posted 22 May 2022 - 07:56 AM

This is my last glob for now...

Inspired by the myriad of stars in M3 "The Elf' has captured i decided to try to get more stars in my M13. So i added just over 2 hours.

Total integration time is now 4 hr and 21 min

Tried to get a bit less color towards blue, allthough i admit i like the blue 

My non glob stars are still a work in progress, i know i have artifacts, but that it is  just the way it is for now. I will not get frustrated about that, allthough i will try to get rid of those artifacts in the future..after all this is a hobby. Hobbys may not lead to frustration.

Guiding on this second night went incredible good , PHD2 log reported 0,57 RMS in the first guide log, then some clouds rolled in, i allready had closed down my computer and then realized the clouds had departed. So i booted it up again.

Scope slewed from zero pos to M13 again flawlessly, spot on...second guiding session was 0,52 RMS. Must have been a calm night, allthough there was some wind...

Canon 800D/T7i, unmodded, 130mm TS APO at F/7 with FF but  no reducer

https://www.cloudyni...796_7377137.png

Processed in Startools, tweaked some color in GIMP

Personaly i like it.

As always , comments welcome

That's a beautiful image!  The core is especially well done -- you can see right into the middle, and stars are crisp but natural-looking, with no artifacts.

My problem with globular clusters has been getting those faint peripheral stars.  All of mine seem smaller than others' images.  (Compare my best M3 with the Elf's...)  Maybe it's just integration time, maybe it's optical sharpness, maybe it's seeing conditions, maybe it's my processing, or (E) all of the above.

• F.Meiresonne likes this

#5 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2022 - 01:42 PM

That's a beautiful image!  The core is especially well done -- you can see right into the middle, and stars are crisp but natural-looking, with no artifacts.

My problem with globular clusters has been getting those faint peripheral stars.  All of mine seem smaller than others' images.  (Compare my best M3 with the Elf's...)  Maybe it's just integration time, maybe it's optical sharpness, maybe it's seeing conditions, maybe it's my processing, or (E) all of the above.

Thanks,

well we all do our best , with the knowledge we have. Still a way to go...imo. But as long as is  fun...grin.gif

• Tim J Fowler and EPinNC like this

#6 Tim J Fowler

Tim J Fowler

Viking 1

• Loc: Seneca, South Carolina

Posted 22 May 2022 - 07:34 PM

I like your image, Freddy. Frequently, when I'm unsure or struggling with color, I'll do an RGB align in Registax6, of all things, even with DSOs. Sometimes it gets me on track to where I want to be with the color, sometimes not. Anyway, that's what I've done here with the right side of your image. Your original is the left side. I can't say it's better, but the majority of stars are whiter after the alignment. My apologies if this is an unwelcome edit. It's not meant as anything other than giving you an option that you may not have considered. I hope you have been feeling better with no more heart issues. I haven't been scanning the posts as much as I normally do, so I am unaware on any updates.

Clear skies! 

Attached Thumbnails

• Freddy's M13 compare.jpg

• F.Meiresonne, Sheridan, BPoletti and 1 other like this

#7 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2022 - 02:09 AM

I see ..

Well i kinda like the blue, but especially in the jpg it sometimes looks too blue, it looks better on a png for same reason and cropped

Guess i will try out some more different coloring, the weather is not going to be good the next couple of days anyhow

thanks Tim

PS : i can't stop thinking how it really would look up there ...

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 23 May 2022 - 02:22 AM.

• Tim J Fowler likes this

#8 Tim J Fowler

Tim J Fowler

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2022 - 06:44 AM

PS : i can't stop thinking how it really would look up there ...

See, that's exactly correct. Nobody knows. That's why, at least to me, it's personal preference when it comes to color. There are plenty of folks that still prefer Black and White, and I guess that takes all of the guess work out, doesn't it? I didn't mean the edit as if to say "it should look like this". I thought maybe you thought it was too blue.

#9 rob1986

rob1986

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 May 2022 - 02:37 PM

anybody elses heads spin looking at globs?

how long would it take to die from UV exposure?

• Tim J Fowler likes this

#10 Tim J Fowler

Tim J Fowler

Viking 1

Posted 24 May 2022 - 03:45 AM

how long would it take to die from UV exposure?

From here? The usually amount. lol.gif

#11 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2022 - 06:09 AM

https://science.nasa...-magnitudes-m13

Maybe there are more blue stars then i thought ...afterall...

#12 EPinNC

EPinNC

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

Posted 24 May 2022 - 09:08 AM

This color thing is fascinating to me.  I've never found a clear explanation for the yellow/orange stars in all my glob pictures.  Some of my pictures show the blue as well, but that's largely controlled by my processing.  The yellow/orange stars are consistently that hue, regardless of my processing.  So, they must really be yellow/orange, right?

I asked a similar question somewhere here about galaxy colors.  Something like "is there some physical rationale to emphasize blue in spiral arms".  Most of the responses I got really came down to "make the colors whatever appeals to you".  But I can usually bring out blue pretty well in galaxy arms, so there must be something actually blue there, right?

#13 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2022 - 09:20 AM

Yes but globulars are old objects and so contain orange yellowish stars. But also blue stragglers exist, hotter more recent stars , a result from collisions of these old stars

AFAIK 

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 24 May 2022 - 11:39 AM.

#14 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2022 - 11:47 PM

For those interested, you can view it on astrobin also

https://www.astrobin...users/Fmeireso/

Finaly decided to put some pictures on astrobin

• the Elf and EPinNC like this

#15 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2022 - 09:33 AM

Could not help posting this.

A non blue orange approach...

Myself i like it a bit less, but perhaps a more 'common' approach, dunno

Stacked in PI WBPP 2.4.4 latest version.

The stack came out like it had vignetting, i did not understand...

Also , now in WBPP 2.4.4 there seems to be an option to debayer flats also...why?

If you do, the stacks comes out very red, color balanced

if not it comes out green ,guess for ST the best option

I had 53 bias,104 flats,175 lights, took PI 3 hr and 44 minutes to do the job....phew.

Attached Thumbnails

• M31CroppedNoBlue (Large).jpg

• Sheridan, Second Time Around, BPoletti and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics