•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AD12 focuser height and questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chad7531

Chad7531

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Defiance, OH

Posted 22 May 2022 - 08:56 AM

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a 12” F5 dob, but just going through some details first. I’m young and fit, it seems like a good mix of aperature and portability to leave at my bortle 3 campground. It will just stay in the extra room of my camper and have to take a few hundred yard golf cart ride to setup. Then I can leave my 6” and mount at home and just worry about taking EPs back and forth.

It looks to me that I shouldn’t have any problems looking through the eyepiece at zenith without standing on a platform, I’m 5’6”. Is that right?

How sturdy and usable is the base on these? I know I would add an az setting circle, if you have a link to a good one for these scopes that’d be much appreciated.

I shouldn’t have any issues storing it in a closed up, not climate controlled camper while I’m not there right? It’s going to get very hot and humid while I’m away without the AC on. With no electronics besides the fan I assume it will be fine?

I have a budget of about $1500, is there anything else I should be looking at?

Any other input is appreciated and thank you in advance.

Edited by Chad7531, 22 May 2022 - 09:00 AM.

#2 Sam M

Sam M

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 22 May 2022 - 09:52 AM

The eyepiece is about 57" at zenith.  You'll need to be a bit higher to compensate for the eyepiece sticking out when the scope is tilted just off zenith.  Whether or not you can reach the eyepiece standing, you will benefit from an observing chair.  I don't expect the heat will be a problem, but I haven't tried it.  The base is particle board.  So, lots of humidity might cause it to soften up over time.  That said, mine has held up much better than I expected, and it's not too hard to build or buy a replacement base.  The golf cart ride may effect your collimation, so you'll probably want to tweek it with a laser, or barlowed laser, after you setup.  Bob's knobs for the secondary mirror, and stiffer springs for the primary are a good investment.  Also, a strap-a-handle makes the OTA much more manageable.  Hope you enjoy it!

• SteveG, MeridianStarGazer, Speedy1985 and 1 other like this

#3 Chad7531

Chad7531

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2022 - 10:06 AM

The eyepiece is about 57" at zenith. You'll need to be a bit higher to compensate for the eyepiece sticking out when the scope is tilted just off zenith. Whether or not you can reach the eyepiece standing, you will benefit from an observing chair. I don't expect the heat will be a problem, but I haven't tried it. The base is particle board. So, lots of humidity might cause it to soften up over time. That said, mine has held up much better than I expected, and it's not too hard to build or buy a replacement base. The golf cart ride may effect your collimation, so you'll probably want to tweek it with a laser, or barlowed laser, after you setup. Bob's knobs for the secondary mirror, and stiffer springs for the primary are a good investment. Also, a strap-a-handle makes the OTA much more manageable. Hope you enjoy it!

Awesome, thanks. I do have a chair that adjusts higher than standing so I should be okay there. I normally don’t use it and prefer to stand. I hadn’t even considered the handle since I always carry my OTA by the rail. I’ll have to get one of those, thanks!
  • Sam M likes this

#4 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central NJ

Posted 22 May 2022 - 10:42 AM

That will be a great scope in B3!

For printable setting circles, I used the 12" version of the ones in this thread. https://www.cloudyni...etting circles

Take the file to Staples and have it printed and laminated. I cut out the base on mine and installed it. I've since added the Nexus II and encoders, so I don't use it much now though. 

The stiffer springs for the primary can be bought as part of an assorted set at Home Depot. There is one size in there that is the perfect length but just slightly beefier. https://www.homedepo...13554/203133714

If you look up the Mega Mod thread for Zhumell scopes, you can get a ton of ideas for mods. 

• SteveG, Sam M and Chad7531 like this

#5 Chad7531

Chad7531

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2022 - 11:07 AM

That will be a great scope in B3!

For printable setting circles, I used the 12" version of the ones in this thread. https://www.cloudyni...etting circles
Take the file to Staples and have it printed and laminated. I cut out the base on mine and installed it. I've since added the Nexus II and encoders, so I don't use it much now though.

The stiffer springs for the primary can be bought as part of an assorted set at Home Depot. There is one size in there that is the perfect length but just slightly beefier. https://www.homedepo...13554/203133714

If you look up the Mega Mod thread for Zhumell scopes, you can get a ton of ideas for mods.

Just what I was looking for. Perfect, thanks! I’ll have to find that mod thread when I get some free time later.
  • Speedy1985 likes this

#6 MeridianStarGazer

MeridianStarGazer

Hubble

• Loc: USA

Posted 22 May 2022 - 12:21 PM

At 5'6" you'll be fine.

That 12" gobbles up lots of light. M31 will overfloweth with light. It gets you up there without breaking a sweat, where an 8" runs out of light.

Edited by MeridianStarGazer, 22 May 2022 - 01:07 PM.

• Chad7531 likes this

#7 Chad7531

Chad7531

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2022 - 12:46 PM

At 5'6" you'll be fine.

That 12" gobbles up lots of light. M31 will overfloweth with light. It gets you up there without breaking a stretch, where an 8" rubs out of light.

I’m pretty excited, it seems like a good fit for the site. I was impressed with the 6” out there just showing a little glow of a galaxy in the distance but I’m hoping for a little bit more out of a 12”.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics