•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AZ-GTi with Stellarmate - was working, not working after update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ronrrm

ronrrm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 22 May 2022 - 05:25 PM

I started tuning up my gear this weekend, nothing went very well...and then...of course it got worse.

I found I had a problem with power, tried to add a new powered USB hub with existing power - needed separate power and that finally worked.

Then I updated Synscan, I was having intermittent problems connecting the mount to the Stellarmate hotspot with the previous version.

After the update, the intermittent issued turned into permanent issue - Synscan in station mode no longer connects to Stellarmate.

I have a cable to hardwire (usb-RJ11) the mount to Stellarmate.  I'm going that route...done with flakey wifi connections.

Question, which Indi driver should I use to control the AZ-GTi in EQ mode (mount is on a wedge), and what settings.

I think my choices are EQMod or Skywatcher AltAz Wedge.  The follow-up question is what mode should I put the mount in, depending on the Indi driver (eq or alt-az).

The pervious driver I used was the AZ-GTi Alt-Az WIFI (along with the firmware update in the mount to allow EQ mode) does not allow for a USB hardwired connection.

Ron

#2 Hello Darkness

Hello Darkness

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: East Tenessee

Posted 23 May 2022 - 08:28 AM

I haven't used my AZ-GTI mount for a month or so but never had any issue connecting with wifi or USB. I also never tried to run it with other software, I just used SynScan Pro and this adapter https://www.bhphotov...ft=BI:514&smp=y

#3 ronrrm

ronrrm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2022 - 10:05 AM

I totally agree, I had zero issues until I updated Synscan on my phone. 

I can get it to connect to the default IP, then go into settings and switch on Station mode and point it to my Stellarmate hotspot, it applies and says its done (no indication that it connected however...at least that I can see). 

When I fire up Ekos/Indi - Indi won't connect. 

I checked my IP addresses/ports and WIFI frequency (2.4gig)…etc...all good, but no connect.

After a being frustrated trying to get Synscan to connect (many attempts), I managed to get connected with the same type of cable you mentioned (USB-RJ) using the Skywatcher Alt-Az Wedge Indi driver.  I'd rather run with a hardwire than the WIFI anyway.

My problem is now which Indi driver is the right one…and how should I set the mount software (I have the EQ update so Synscan can set to Use EQ or Use Alt-AZ), right now I have it set to Use EQ.

AZ-GTi Equatorial WIFI - this was my goto driver for wifi…it doesn’t have a USB/Serial option…not an option for the cable approach.

Skywatcher Alt-AZ Wedge - this works, moves the mount.  Haven’t fully tested it yet
Skywatcher Alt-AZ - I would imaging this one will work but doesn’t handle EQ
EQMod Mount - this one looks like it will work too, it does connect but I have no experience with it

Ron

• Hello Darkness likes this

#4 ronrrm

ronrrm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2022 - 06:48 PM

Well, Skywatcher Alt-AZ Wedge seems to be the winner.  Mount is in EQ Mode.  Still testing all the settings, but definitely moves the mount.

While not what I expected, more wires less problems.

Ron

#5 jkmonroe

jkmonroe

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 May 2022 - 08:14 PM

If youre in EQ mode then use EQMod; if youre in AZ mode then use Skywatcher AltAz.  Both work with the RJ11 cable.

The Sywatcher Alt-Az Wedge driver will not track properly.

#6 ronrrm

ronrrm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2022 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for the update @vostok.  I'll give the EQMod a shot, seems to the the preferred driver in the long run

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics