•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Svbony FPL 51 102ED doublet versus WO FLT 91 APO Triplet

Equipment Imaging Optics Refractor Visual
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: AZ

Posted 26 May 2022 - 07:39 PM

Maks are handy for planetary tho.

I am kinda excited to see your results with the new scope Paul ! You have already done amazing work with the SV503, cant wait to see how much more you can improve it. For amateurs like me, this scope is absolutely plenty. I am even thinking of parting away with my good old mak at some point. This is how much more i like the SVBONY.

Thanks and yes Maks are great too. I use mine for Moon and planets and with the binoviewer the Moon really pops. I’ll definitely post some pics once I get the new scope. Seems like it is still stuck in CA at UPS.  Not sure why it isn’t moving being that they got it from Agena yesterday. mad.gif

Edited by Paul AZ, 26 May 2022 - 07:40 PM.

#27 Tarantular

Tarantular

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada, BC

Posted 27 May 2022 - 08:56 PM

MAKs are good but my 9 year old mak specifically, which is totally stock, i feel is not up to par with this refractor. I compared them on the moon and splitting some stars and i am getting a sharper all around image from the refractor. I feel like this might translate into sharper images for the planets too, but we shall see.

#28 vidrazor

vidrazor

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North Bergen, NJ

Posted 27 May 2022 - 10:33 PM

MAKs are good but my 9 year old mak specifically, which is totally stock, i feel is not up to par with this refractor. I compared them on the moon and splitting some stars and i am getting a sharper all around image from the refractor. I feel like this might translate into sharper images for the planets too, but we shall see.

Have you checked collimation? Although Maks hold out well, it doesn't hurt to check. It's also over twice the focal length, so it will magnify atmospheric conditions more.

#29 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 May 2022 - 11:00 AM

It has arrived. I cannot get over the build quality. The WO FLT 91 is like a work of art. bow.gif

I was able to just do some morning viewing but I can definitely see a difference between the Svbony and WO view. waytogo.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 6CEFDA18-A688-4FF5-A0CA-2FC3A81375C3.jpeg
  • F8831CC2-A591-4F20-9AD0-1A38FE1955B1.jpeg
  • 8FD4D703-453C-4C1F-A074-86F3E3397BD2.jpeg

• Jon_Doh, OldManSky, j.gardavsky and 1 other like this

#30 IronHead

IronHead

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 28 May 2022 - 12:39 PM

Very Nice!!

I cannot wait to read the comparison analysis.

Enjoy.

s

• Paul AZ likes this

#31 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2022 - 09:42 AM

So I love the WO FLT 91. My only gripe is that when I swap out the visual back and ext and add the focal reducer/flattener the scope no linger fits in the soft case. Darn!!! So if I want the scope in the case I need to remove the focal reducer and replace the visual back.

#32 JP-Astro

JP-Astro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Europe 60°N

Posted 31 May 2022 - 10:12 AM

GAS= Gear Acquisition Syndrome. 

I've been fighting it (for more than one hobby) for the best part of 30 years now.

PS: Congrats on your purchase, enjoy it.

For some reason I don't encounter this term on CN too often.

When I used to hang out on the SaxontheWeb saxophone forum 'GAS' was coming up in discussions regularly when someone was considering another new 'axe' to add to his collection. 'I'm GASing on this or that new sax' was considered more like an ill part of the hobby (and not only).

The same goes for guitar forums. Guitarists often need some serious psychiatric help to get out of GAS.

When I joined the CN forum I was surprised that 'GAS' was not considered as something evil in the context of acquiring astronomical gear. Really strange.

I believe that a mentally healthy man would hardly need more that three telescopes, possibly even two. Why it's not one - I can't say it for sure.

#33 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2022 - 05:58 PM

For some reason I don't encounter this term on CN too often.

When I used to hang out on the SaxontheWeb saxophone forum 'GAS' was coming up in discussions regularly when someone was considering another new 'axe' to add to his collection. 'I'm GASing on this or that new sax' was considered more like an ill part of the hobby (and not only).

The same goes for guitar forums. Guitarists often need some serious psychiatric help to get out of GAS.

When I joined the CN forum I was surprised that 'GAS' was not considered as something evil in the context of acquiring astronomical gear. Really strange.

I believe that a mentally healthy man would hardly need more that three telescopes, possibly even two. Why it's not one - I can't say it for sure.

Well I still have more guns than telescopes so that’s a good thing. As far as telescopes go I would think 3 is plenty. The extra ones I have were just too great of a deal to pass up and just add a bit more options for viewing.

• Zapp Brannigan and Jim in PA like this

#34 JP-Astro

JP-Astro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Europe 60°N

Posted 31 May 2022 - 08:41 PM

Well I still have more guns than telescopes so that’s a good thing. As far as telescopes go I would think 3 is plenty. The extra ones I have were just too great of a deal to pass up and just add a bit more options for viewing.

You guys in the US are badly spoiled both in terms of guns and great telescope deals that you can't pass by.

I would be happy to be right there with you for the great telescope deals coming my way evey now and then but the amount of guns showing up here and there in your part of the World persuade me to stay here where I am with no good telescope deals at all but free of guns as well :)

• vidrazor and OldManSky like this

#35 Jim in PA

Jim in PA

Messenger

• Loc: NE PA and Middle of Nowhere, AZ

Posted 31 May 2022 - 09:15 PM

Congrats on the new scope Paul!  She's a Beauty!  Make sure and post some first light pics!  CS, Jim

• Paul AZ likes this

#36 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 June 2022 - 01:38 AM

Very Nice!!

Enjoy.

s

I am kinda excited to see your results with the new scope Paul ! You have already done amazing work with the SV503, cant wait to see how much more you can improve it. For amateurs like me, this scope is absolutely plenty. I am even thinking of parting away with my good old mak at some point. This is how much more i like the SVBONY.

BodesNebula_LCG_827_5min_0C_FLT91220531224532_crop.jpg
OK so I was out last night and again tonight. I had issue last night with PHD2 and tonight it is working. Here is a single 5min sub of Bode's Nebula I took this evening. No processing other than crop and save as JPG using GIMP. So I did not do any color adj or anything else.

I used a CLS filter for this pic.BTW just noticed that in the JPG version attached the stars look like they have a halo around them when you zoom in. The original tiff file does not show that.

Edited by Paul AZ, 01 June 2022 - 04:29 AM.

• Tarantular, Jim in PA and IronHead like this

#37 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2022 - 12:55 PM

Congrats on the new scope Paul!  She's a Beauty!  Make sure and post some first light pics!  CS, Jim

Very Nice!!

Enjoy.

s

OK I finally got to process my latest NA Nebula taken June 2nd. I captured a bit wider field than with the Svbony 102 and I realize now that I probably should have changed the camera orientation to get all of the Pelican in the view. So instead I did capture extra nebulousity above and below the NA nebula which is kind of nice.

As far as comparison with the Svbony.... well from an image POV I honestly think I can only see a slight difference with some star color on the bright ones when looking at the original. I think with the Svbony I normally would see a bit of green or blue  tint to the halo whereas with the WO I don't see it. I did not realize this until comparing the two. This can be fixed though with processing I suppose and honestly it never bothered me before or didn't really think about it.

See what you think. So what did gain from this latest acquisition? A beautiful, well crafted, precise, true APO telescope and a slightly different field of view. So I have more options now. Will I keep the Svbony 102ED... absolutely and I will image with it still too along with the Svbony 70ED. Just depends on the target. grin.gif  Now if I plan on printing up anything, I think I will go with the WO FLT91 now that I took another look at that halo around the bright star of Pelican Nebula I got with the Svbony 102. Obviously, when family is over, I'll pull out the Svbony since I do have grandkids. The WO is just too nice to let anyone else touch it. lol.gif waytogo.gif

Below is the WO FLT91 version:

Here is the Svbony 102ED version:
North American Nebula 11/3/21

Edited by Paul AZ, 04 June 2022 - 02:11 PM.

#38 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2022 - 12:00 AM

OK I finally got to process my latest NA Nebula taken June 2nd. I captured a bit wider field than with the Svbony 102 and I realize now that I probably should have changed the camera orientation to get all of the Pelican in the view. So instead I did capture extra nebulousity above and below the NA nebula which is kind of nice.

As far as comparison with the Svbony.... well from an image POV I honestly think I can only see a slight difference with some star color on the bright ones when looking at the original. I think with the Svbony I normally would see a bit of green or blue  tint to the halo whereas with the WO I don't see it. I did not realize this until comparing the two. This can be fixed though with processing I suppose and honestly it never bothered me before or didn't really think about it.

See what you think. So what did gain from this latest acquisition? A beautiful, well crafted, precise, true APO telescope and a slightly different field of view. So I have more options now. Will I keep the Svbony 102ED... absolutely and I will image with it still too along with the Svbony 70ED. Just depends on the target. grin.gif  Now if I plan on printing up anything, I think I will go with the WO FLT91 now that I took another look at that halo around the bright star of Pelican Nebula I got with the Svbony 102. Obviously, when family is over, I'll pull out the Svbony since I do have grandkids. The WO is just too nice to let anyone else touch it. lol.gif waytogo.gif

Below is the WO FLT91 version reprocessed (new desktop monitor made other pic look too red):

North American Nebula

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Imaging, Optics, Refractor, Visual

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics