•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 70mm and alternatives

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WIAmateur

WIAmateur

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2022 - 08:45 AM

Hello.  I am assuming I am out of luck with being able to track down a new Meade 70mm Quad (model 261000) for purchase out in the wild - I believe the series 6000 models have all been discontinued from my research, which is unfortunate.

With that said what would be a good alternative/s to this model, looking for similar specs (focal length and f ratio) and also considering portability factor.

Advice is appreciated and welcomed.

Thank you.

#2 IzztMeade

IzztMeade

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 May 2022 - 10:14 AM

So first I really love may 70mm meade,  have gotten some great shots and my only knock is dew shield seems to slip down sometimes but that might be user error.

https://www.astrobin...sers/IzztMeade/

wow lol never realized till right now my username has Meade in it <face palm>.  It was a miss spelling for 'is  mead' back in college days... must of had too much mead that day but must have been a sign... Anyway,  I am a bit in same boat as I would if loved to get the 130mm version since I love the 70mm so much but not in stock and I think folks were saying they went with differnt glass coatings in the 130mm so long story short I am also looking for a Refractor and I think I am going with an astro-tech over say WO or skywatcher but still undecided as I want the same quality but it makes it hard to determine... but at least with astrotech it is alot cheaper if u are dissatisfied...  My problem and was just about to put a post up was to get the 130mm or the 152mm lol.

#3 WIAmateur

WIAmateur

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2022 - 10:51 AM

You have some nice shots on Astrobin Izzt.  Makes me want to get out there and start shooting.

For me I want to start with a nice widefield scope so I am considering the Redcat 71 but want to use an EAF.  I do know they make kits for this scope but seems a bit of an additional pain point in the setup and management.

Thanks

#4 IzztMeade

IzztMeade

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 May 2022 - 11:25 AM

Oh yeah 100% agree start with wide field scope, a good year or so of learning :).

#5 IzztMeade

IzztMeade

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 May 2022 - 11:35 AM

I have been using the ZWO EAF with my 70mm APO and it has been great. The only lessons learned I have for that is

1) make sure to follow their example backlash procedure, mine was 230 and would not get focus without this

2) I use ASIAIR PRO so not sure on other controllers/laptops but ZWO confirmed that if you update the ASIAIR firmware the backlash value gets zeroed out so you need to keep in your records and update accordingly. They put it as 'working as intended' but is the only value that seems to get zeroed lol.

#6 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

ISS

Posted 23 May 2022 - 02:16 PM

For imaging I would suggest Skywatcher ED doublet 80mm at f/7.5 (Evostar) or alternatively the 80mm triplet at f/5 which is really the one you want due to faster exposure times.,

Greg N

#7 ris242

ris242

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 23 May 2022 - 03:07 PM

Askar 400 (72mm)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics