•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY268M - Connecting Issues to Windows Computer

CMOS
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RodrigoQ

RodrigoQ

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2022 - 11:40 AM

Hi Everyone ! 

I'm hope find some guidance from the community about an Issue I have with my brand new QHY268M.

After installed the One Package on my computer (I already have the latest ASCOM Platform running for my other astro devices) and reboot my computer I proceed to connect the camera to the computer an nothing happened. No audio confirmation from windows (when you connect any USB device), no changes on the device manager (no new devices recognized). 

After the previous test I tried  to connect the camera with 3 different set of USB 3.0 cables all of them working because I tested them with a QHY178III I use for guiding and the computer recognize the guide camera right away. I format the computer three times thinking that probably was a problem with my Windows. After the clean installation I perform the normal procedure: Install ASCOM platform + reboot + Install QHY One Package drivers + reboot. After completed the previous procedure I don't see any activity on the device manager when I connect the QHY268M to the computer on the USB3.0 and USB2.0 free ports on my computer. No Windows audio notification for a USB device detected. After that I tried in 3 different Windows computers and after 10 hrs+ of troubleshooting nothing works. I want to mention at this point I used the power adapter provided in the box to power up the camera and every single time I powered it up I heard the fan working (at least) but nothing happen when I connect it to the computer.

I tried to look in forums with issues similar to me, but in all of them at least the camera show up on the device manager but that's not my case. 

At this point I think that is bad camera but I'm wondering if anybody have a similar issue or I just have bad luck to have a bad camera directly from the factory.

I appreciate in advance any comment of guidance from y'all.

Pdt. I already reach QHY tech support (sent a email describing my case) and I didn't get any answer (yet). I'll keep you posted with updates on my case and hopefully this post can be useful to somebody in future.

Best Regards.

Rodrigo Quiroga 

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 23 May 2022 - 12:15 PM

Maybe a bad camera.  Maybe a bad driver.  Maybe you need to connect to ASCOM using the chooser.  The fact that it doesn't show up in Device Manager is troubling.  Maybe a USB port conflict?

Why I buy ZWO.  I've bought seven of them.     They.            Just.             Work.

Edited by bobzeq25, 23 May 2022 - 12:17 PM.

• RodrigoQ likes this

#3 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Vanguard

Posted 23 May 2022 - 12:15 PM

The power adapter turning on the fan that doesn't matter. the power adapter only powers the cooling unit and the fan, the sensor is powered by the USB cable from your computer ( or USB hub if you have one). 

You said, you have  tried it on  3 computers already?  Ok, so that closes out the USB connection on the PC, left you with the USB connection on the camera itself. Wait for QHY to respond, or better, try to contact the seller you bought it from. You probably get a faster answer from the seller, but since I sent QHY cameras back in the past, I had both the seller and QHY respond to me and replaced my faulty camera within a week (My camera wasn't cooling). 

Edited by unimatrix0, 23 May 2022 - 12:16 PM.

• RodrigoQ likes this

#4 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 23 May 2022 - 01:15 PM

With the latest QHY cameras like the one that the OP owns, it's power not USB that determines connectivity. You will never see a QHY268 in device manager unless it has power. So, that's one point to ponder. 

Here's what I would do. First, boot up the PC. Now connect a USB 2 cable (short) to the camera and the PC. Now power on the camera. See if it appears in device manager. If it doesn't then the camera is defective. If it does then load up the QHY utility from their website or use your favorite imaging program to connect.

If it connects and takes a picture then the camera is OK. Turn on the cooling and take another picture. If that's OK then the camera is functioning correctly and you have to look at the USB3 settings and cable topology.

I avoid USB3 like the plague and I always ALWAYS use the ASCOM driver to test the camera. Any other driver (native/SDK) is written by some unknown 3rd party. 

Rgrds-Ross 

• bobzeq25 and RodrigoQ like this

#5 RodrigoQ

RodrigoQ

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2022 - 03:28 PM

Hi Everyone, Thank you for your responses, Below my comments:

Maybe a bad camera.  Maybe a bad driver.  Maybe you need to connect to ASCOM using the chooser.  The fact that it doesn't show up in Device Manager is troubling.  Maybe a USB port conflict?

Why I buy ZWO.  I've bought seven of them.     They.            Just.             Work.

That's something I just realized and saw multiples post about QHY and problems with drivers. I never expect to experiment it so hard. I will keep this experience in my memory for a while.

The power adapter turning on the fan that doesn't matter. the power adapter only powers the cooling unit and the fan, the sensor is powered by the USB cable from your computer ( or USB hub if you have one). 

You said, you have  tried it on  3 computers already?  Ok, so that closes out the USB connection on the PC, left you with the USB connection on the camera itself. Wait for QHY to respond, or better, try to contact the seller you bought it from. You probably get a faster answer from the seller, but since I sent QHY cameras back in the past, I had both the seller and QHY respond to me and replaced my faulty camera within a week (My camera wasn't cooling). 

I already reach the vendor and I receive a response from them and forward my case to QHY. Now , I'm waiting for QHY reply and I don't have any idea for how long it will be (I expect not much). I hope the best in my case.

With the latest QHY cameras like the one that the OP owns, it's power not USB that determines connectivity. You will never see a QHY268 in device manager unless it has power. So, that's one point to ponder. 

Here's what I would do. First, boot up the PC. Now connect a USB 2 cable (short) to the camera and the PC. Now power on the camera. See if it appears in device manager. If it doesn't then the camera is defective. If it does then load up the QHY utility from their website or use your favorite imaging program to connect.

If it connects and takes a picture then the camera is OK. Turn on the cooling and take another picture. If that's OK then the camera is functioning correctly and you have to look at the USB3 settings and cable topology.

I avoid USB3 like the plague and I always ALWAYS use the ASCOM driver to test the camera. Any other driver (native/SDK) is written by some unknown 3rd party. 

Rgrds-Ross 

I'm glad you bring this point. In all my tests I powered my camera before attempt to connect it to the computer. I already tried USB3.0 and USB 2.0 on my computer with no positive results. Thank you for you advice regarding USB3.0, I will keep it on mind, I never had an issue before with USB 3.0 but your comment will make me think it twice. I will try the first step as you suggested. Second step is far beyond my stand point right now but with your suggestion probably I can advance to second base. I'll keep you posted.

At this point I'm wondering: We are in 2022 and so Why is so tricky stablish connection between the computer and the camera? I own a ZWO ASI294MM and never get this kind of issues. The QHY268M is a magnificent camera and the specs are amazing but this definitely is a really big weak point. 

Thank you for your replies. I'll keep you posted with the updated regarding my case.

Rodrigo Q.

#6 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 23 May 2022 - 05:14 PM

I see this as an advantage of sorts. I can reboot the camera remotely (my observatory is 90 miles away) by just powering the camera on/off. I have a couple of ways to do that with my mounts. If I have to reboot the camera using USB then I need to buy some special box (Pegasus makes nice ones) that can control USB as well as power. Anyway, give it a try, no guarantee.

Rgrds-Ross

#7 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 23 May 2022 - 07:58 PM

Hi Everyone, Thank you for your responses, Below my comments:

That's something I just realized and saw multiples post about QHY and problems with drivers. I never expect to experiment it so hard. I will keep this experience in my memory for a while.

I already reach the vendor and I receive a response from them and forward my case to QHY. Now , I'm waiting for QHY reply and I don't have any idea for how long it will be (I expect not much). I hope the best in my case.

I'm glad you bring this point. In all my tests I powered my camera before attempt to connect it to the computer. I already tried USB3.0 and USB 2.0 on my computer with no positive results. Thank you for you advice regarding USB3.0, I will keep it on mind, I never had an issue before with USB 3.0 but your comment will make me think it twice. I will try the first step as you suggested. Second step is far beyond my stand point right now but with your suggestion probably I can advance to second base. I'll keep you posted.

At this point I'm wondering: We are in 2022 and so Why is so tricky stablish connection between the computer and the camera? I own a ZWO ASI294MM and never get this kind of issues. The QHY268M is a magnificent camera and the specs are amazing but this definitely is a really big weak point. 

Thank you for your replies. I'll keep you posted with the updated regarding my case.

Rodrigo Q.

I have both ZWO 2600s.  Same chip.  Amazing cameras.  Worked first time out.

• RodrigoQ likes this

#8 RodrigoQ

RodrigoQ

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2022 - 11:06 PM

UPDATE:  A few mins ago We finished a remote support session with QHY. Conclusion: Camera Hardware Problem. After the QHY Green flag I officially asked for a replacement of the camera. QHY tech support was great and They answered all my questions, It took less than a day to reach me and ask for a remote support session. At this point next step is wait for the replacement.

I'll keep you posted with the progress of this case.

Clear skies.

Rodrigo Q.

• bobzeq25, Hondo and astro_alex80 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CMOS

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics