•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 4490/4485 The Cocoon Nebula in Canes Venatici

DSO Observing Report Sketching
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bphaneuf

bphaneuf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waxhaw NC [34° 55' 28" N / 80° 44' 36" W]

Posted 23 May 2022 - 07:44 PM

Observing: Forgive me if this grosses anyone out, but while sketching this one I wasn't seeing a cocoon so much as a bot fly larva.  I've half a mind to start calling it that.  Only not.  Those memories are not pleasant.  But I digress.  The pair of interacting galaxies was readily picked up at low magnification with the 21mm, and the shape was fairly discernible for 4490.   A long isosceles triangle points right to it - to the point of it almost at 4490 itself.   4485 was visible more like an isolated core with a small halo.  The 13mm and 8 mm brought out more detail, with the 13 providing more in the way of overall shape for both as well as extent.  High power picked up a few more details.  Those included a line across the bottom of 4490 as well as the top of the curve pointing toward 4485.  With 4485 a darker void was seen in the tapered end pointed toward 4490, almost like a miniature of the Fish's Mouth in M42.  There's a brighter spot and I think a foreground star in that darker area.  The tips of the two galaxies reached for one another but didn't quite touch.  The brighter area of 4490 extended for most of its length, but not evenly.  Spending time with both direct and AV seemed to work well for this object.  I'm learning to settle the star field first so I can re-adapt my dark vision and spend unbroken time with the target.  All joking aside, this was an intriguing observation.  On top of that, a meteor streaked right across the pair while I was viewing!

Sketching: White pastel powder on the 80lb Hamilco black card-stock again.  Small rounded brush for the main shape of the galaxies and the fine point for the brightened areas.  The blue sponge eraser created the little voided area in NGC 4485.  Pencil only for the stars as none were that bright.  I considered including the meteor streak, but decided against it.  Drawing a line across the FOV wouldn't capture it and would likely take away from the image.

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC 4490 & 4485 the Cocoon.jpg

Edited by bphaneuf, 23 May 2022 - 08:51 PM.

• Bob Campbell, frank5817, Jef De Wit and 12 others like this

#2 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 24 May 2022 - 12:07 PM

Bphaneuf,

Very nice sketch of NGC 4490 /  NGC 4485 (The Cocoon Nebula in Canes Venatici) smile.gif .

CDS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#3 Warmvet

Warmvet

Vanguard

• Loc: Hawaii

Posted 24 May 2022 - 03:14 PM

Nice sketch! Your use of the brush makes for a realistic sketch. As far as what you see triggering the brain, this object always reminds me of a flea larvae, relating to my experience as a veterinarian!

• bphaneuf likes this

#4 Nightowl99

Nightowl99

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 24 May 2022 - 11:18 PM

Great sketch Butch! I think this interacting pair may be one of my favorite observations so far, so much going on in a small space and you can really see the interaction. 

Have you looked at any good astrophotos since you made this sketch? The mini "fish's mouth" on NGC 4485 that you mention is an interesting area and you've captured it very well. I saw it as a small clump detached from 4485 but it looks in photos like it may be a spiral arm.

However Hubble's view show this is actually the stream of material 25,000 light years long stretching between the two galaxies. And the foreground star you mention is shown here to actually be a bright star forming region in NGC 4485. Very cool! 

https://en.wikipedia...ge_NGC_4485.jpg

#5 erick86

erick86

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 28 May 2022 - 12:37 PM

Awesome observation. I saw this galaxy earlier this spring from a very dark sky and it really caught me off guard, I almost fell off the ladder! 😂 What fun galaxy hunting is!

Great sketch, thanks for sharing.

Eric

#6 Herodotus

Herodotus

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fruita, CO B 3/4

Posted 01 June 2022 - 04:15 PM

Fantastic!

#7 bphaneuf

bphaneuf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waxhaw NC [34° 55' 28" N / 80° 44' 36" W]

Posted 08 June 2022 - 05:38 PM

Cindy I love your flea larva connection!   And your compliments on the brush/Mellish technique as well.  I've really been enjoying it.

-b

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DSO, Observing Report, Sketching

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics