•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Urgent help requested

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RoscoeD

RoscoeD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2022 - 10:32 PM

I'm outside hoping to image my first DSO, and trying to focus my scope using the Bahtinov mask (using Nina).  Took a picture and this is what I got.  Not seeing the star I was aimed at, but rather the mask is the only thing visible.  What worries me more is that it's not centered (no, I'm not zoomed in).

I'm outside right now with a clear (albeit cold), non-windy night.  And I'm stumped at the focus...

I did this before with the ASI Studio and it worked great.  I've since added a WO manual rotator so I hove to wonder if that's causing an issue.  Shouldn't be any flex...I'm pointed **** near straight up.

Looking for some quick help before I lose this magical night

Mask??

Edited by RoscoeD, 23 May 2022 - 10:33 PM.

#2 Cometeer

Cometeer

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 23 May 2022 - 10:36 PM

The bahtinov pattern is centered over the star. If your star is off center, then so will the bahtinov pattern. It’s not crucial to have the bahtinov pattern (aka the star) centered in your field of view in order to achieve focus.

Turn the focuser until the bahtinov pattern gets smaller and you see the 3 distinct spikes caused by this mask. 

Edited by Cometeer, 23 May 2022 - 10:37 PM.

• zakry3323 and Dynan like this

#3 RoscoeD

RoscoeD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2022 - 11:42 PM

Turned out I was hugely out of focus.  Never seen an image of the mask before...that threw me. Now in focus.

Next, I got it polar aligned using NINA (Cool).  I pointed it at my target of interest (Pinwheel galaxy) and it successfully platesolved and centered.  Even cooler! 

New issue...I tried to start guiding and PHD2 is reporting no stars found.  The picture in the box is pretty white so it may be oversaturated.  I cannot figure out how to adjust the guide camera settings. I'm assuming it has to see stars to calibrate, but at this point I'm lost.

Ideas?

(Thanks a million to everyone that has helped me so far...tonight is gorgeous but cold.  I'm hoping it will be worth it.  But I'm wasting imaging time with these issues...)

#4 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• Loc: Santa Fe, NM

Posted 23 May 2022 - 11:48 PM

In PHD2 --

Guide > Advanced Settings > Camera Tab - Gain

PHD2.png

Yes you are probably oversaturated -- lower the gain

Edited by santafe retiree, 23 May 2022 - 11:49 PM.

#5 RoscoeD

RoscoeD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2022 - 11:48 PM

Note that I'd like to run the start up wizard again (first time was inside and things weren't all connected...but can't find how?  

#6 RoscoeD

RoscoeD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2022 - 11:50 PM

In PHD2 --

Guide > Advanced Settings > Camera Tab - Gain

attachicon.gifPHD2.png

Yes you are probably oversaturated -- lower the gain

Wow...my screen doesn't look anything like that.  Going back outside...

#7 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• Loc: Santa Fe, NM

Posted 23 May 2022 - 11:58 PM

You may also need to adjust the screen gamma --

PHD2.png

#8 RoscoeD

RoscoeD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2022 - 01:55 AM

You may also need to adjust the screen gamma --

attachicon.gifPHD2.png

Uh...what?  How?

I'm going to post another thread as this night became very frustrating...a summary.  But, PHD2 is anything but "Push Here Dummy".  Time to roll up the sleeves and figure this out

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics