•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone use a Stellarvue SVX102D for OSC imaging?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 24 May 2022 - 12:55 PM

The Stellarvue SVX102D, as well as other FCD100/FPL-53 + Lanthanum doublets strike me as a, "not saying you should image with these, but you could."  I've seen a few pictures on Astrobin using some other FCD100/FPL-53 + Lanthanum doublets...

...except for the SVX102D.  Maybe I'm not entering the right search terms, but I don't see them.

But for those that have one, do you use it for OSC imaging?  And is there any discernible "blue bloat" in the image?

This was one scope I'd seriously considered upgrading to before getting an NP101.

Also, for those that have the other FCD100/FPL-53 + Lanthanum doublets (ZS 103, Stellarvue Access 102, TS Photoline 102 f/7 doublet, AT102EDL), do you also do OSC imaging with them?  Or use them mostly/strictly for visual?

Not really a serious inquiry; just a curiosity.

Clear Skies,
Phil

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Aurora

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 24 May 2022 - 03:35 PM

I doubt you will get blue bloat in a well built ED doublet with a Lanthanum doped second element. The entire purpose of the Lanthanum is it has a slight yellow cast which filters out some of the blue light for visual use. The original scope using Lanthanum was the 2004 Stellarvue LOMO built SV102ABV, LZOS OK-4 + I think some kind of Lanthanum doped BK7 equivalent. Some recent scopes have gone the cheaper route and just added a Lanthanum coating to the mix instead of an actual Lanthanum doped glass. I can't comment on that as I don't think I have looked thru one of those. I currently have 3 Lanthanum doublets and one triplet left (TMB80SS). The triplet I just sold actually had a Lanthanum doped 3rd element (SVA130EDT). The three I have are the Astro-Tech AT80LE (FPL-53/Lanthanum), the Stellarvue SV102ABV (OK4/Lanthanum), and my new Stellarvue SVX127D (Hoya FCD100/Lanthanum). The later is my retirement visual scope and while I stopped imaging about a decade ago I still have some cameras that I could use (mostly DSLRs).Just not motivated to do it anymore.

#3 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 25 May 2022 - 12:11 PM

I'll bet that SVX127D would be an awesome visual scope.  A 5" apo doublet cools faster than a 5" triplet, so that's a plus.  I can see a lot of SVX127D's being their owners' only scope.

Clear Skies,

Phil

• ken30809 and drd715 like this

#4 ris242

ris242

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 25 May 2022 - 03:29 PM

I can see a lot of SVX127D's being their owners' only scope.

Clear Skies,

Phil

some maybe. lol

It definitely replaced my Edge but it won't replace the short F/L - grab and go.

To bring out the big guns - the sky has to cooperate with good seeing.

• ken30809 and Space_Race_T.J. like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics