•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to find a nova or asteroid with amateur equipment?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cnchillstar

cnchillstar

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2022 - 06:39 PM

Hi, I want to read some about finding nova or asteroid. Is there any post link or website for this?

Thanks a lot.

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 24 May 2022 - 06:51 PM

One would use astrophotography (which is not discussed on this forum).

But it's how Pluto was discovered, and how professional astronomers do astronomy.

Hard, complicated, and expensive.

Go the the Beginning Deep Sky Imaging forum.  Hang out for a while, then ask questions.

• Jethro7 and WillR like this

#3 John Rogers

John Rogers

Apollo

Posted 24 May 2022 - 07:48 PM

I recommend that you pull on this thread: https://www.cloudyni...ids-with-tycho/

Follow it carefully and I believe you will conclude that it is not only possible, but it is well within the realm of dedicated observers with relatively simple equipment.  Several people here are doing just that.

• Jethro7 likes this

#4 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

ISS

Posted 24 May 2022 - 08:00 PM

Looking for supernovae with visual observing is extremely difficult because you're just looking for a tiny Dot superimposed on a faint fuzzy and it could be for all you know a foreground star. You need to have a database of previous pictures against which to compare, or at least for the computer to compare.

About 15 years ago sky and telescope had an article about a guy who was supernova hunting with the extremely fancy Paramount that followed a computerized algorithm to image a whole bunch of galaxies. And he would sift through the data. As I recall the telescope this guy was using was either a 10 or 12 in Meade Newtonian. You don't need a high class optic for this game you need really good mount and a very organized imaging system and an algorithm that makes sense. I think the guy in the article specifically targeted areas of the sky that he knew were poorly covered by the robotic survey instruments of the time.

Greg N
  • bobzeq25 likes this

#5 Tangerman

Tangerman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 24 May 2022 - 08:26 PM

Are you trying to find novae or asteroids that have already been found or discover new ones yourself? 

• BFaucett and Voyageur like this

#6 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Vanguard

Posted 25 May 2022 - 02:28 AM

Amateur Astronomy, Reverand Robert Evans from Australia was quite the prolific visual, extra-galactic supernova hunter back in the 1980's and 1990's. I believe that his number of discoveries only increased after a DS 16" Meade reflector was donated to him by some kind benefactors. *

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

* Referenced from Terrance Dickinsons "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide".

#7 spereira

spereira

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 25 May 2022 - 08:10 AM

Moving to Science, Astronomy & Space Exploration.

smp

#8 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 25 May 2022 - 09:46 AM

There is usually a monthly supernova topic posted in the Deep Sky Observing forum. Here is this month's. I would also suggest looking through the Solar System Observing forum and asking your question concerning asteroids there.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics