•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need someone who knows about cables

Equipment Orion Reflector
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wavefront

wavefront

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 24 May 2022 - 09:02 PM

I've posted questions about my older 8" Orion telescope in other appropriate sections, but never found this information: What kind of cable fits in this ? It's something like an RJ45 for a modem but it's a hair smaller and has only 6 pins. Where can I get a short length of cable with the 6 pin end ? That motor is a puzzle too. Is it a brush type DC motor ? Ah come on. Somebody must know. Please ?

Attached Thumbnails

• 6 connectors.JPG

Edited by wavefront, 24 May 2022 - 09:05 PM.

#2 frank5817

frank5817

James Webb Space Telescope

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 24 May 2022 - 09:20 PM

Moving this thread from OTO to the Mounts forum for a better chance you will get your question answered. Telescope drives and mount parts are not a topic for the OTO which is non-astronomy related.

Leaving a link.

Frank

• wavefront likes this

#3 PeterAB

PeterAB

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southern Wisconsin, USA

Posted 24 May 2022 - 09:39 PM

Hi,

The socket is a RJ11 modular jack.    It helps if you google for a 6p6c RJ11 (six pin six conductor) cable to connect to it.

Most likely a stepper motor.    A servo motor will have two wires going into the motor body, and the rest connected to a speed encoder.    Steppers have all the wires going into the motor body.

Peter 

• steveincolo, OldManSky and pretyro like this

#4 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 May 2022 - 09:46 PM

RJ11  ???   Joe

#5 ColdyNitesNC

ColdyNitesNC

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada City, Ca

Posted 24 May 2022 - 10:11 PM

RJ is a holdover from the Bell System, and stands for "registered jack." RJ45, an 8 pin jack, is most commonly found these days in networking, but RJ11 is the type of jack that was used to connect landline telephones to a wall jack. RJ11 is actually usually a 4 pin, but the dimensions of the hole are the same as for a 6 pin, which used to be designated as RJ25, I believe. There is also a similar, but smaller size that used to be commonly used in landline telephones for the handset cord.  Mount manufacturers have adapted these jacks and are commonly found, as is the ST4 guide ports on cameras. 

• wavefront, steveincolo, ziggeman and 1 other like this

#6 pretyro

pretyro

Messenger

Posted 24 May 2022 - 10:54 PM

RJ is a holdover from the Bell System, and stands for "registered jack." RJ45, an 8 pin jack, is most commonly found these days in networking, but RJ11 is the type of jack that was used to connect landline telephones to a wall jack. RJ11 is actually usually a 4 pin, but the dimensions of the hole are the same as for a 6 pin, which used to be designated as RJ25, I believe. There is also a similar, but smaller size that used to be commonly used in landline telephones for the handset cord.  Mount manufacturers have adapted these jacks and are commonly found, as is the ST4 guide ports on cameras. 

If you measure it, the ethernet RJ45 jack is ~11.5 mm wide and the phone RJ11 jack (or RJ14 or RJ25) is about 9.5 mm wide.  The handset jack is about 7.6 mm wide.

• wavefront and ColdyNitesNC like this

#7 wavefront

wavefront

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2022 - 11:00 PM

Moving this thread from OTO to the Mounts forum for a better chance you will get your question answered. Telescope drives and mount parts are not a topic for the OTO which is non-astronomy related.

Leaving a link.

Frank

Thank you Frank

• frank5817 likes this

#8 PeterAB

PeterAB

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southern Wisconsin, USA

Posted 24 May 2022 - 11:01 PM

RJ11  ???   Joe

Yes,  if you google for a RJ11 6p6c cable, you get one that will connect to this jack.   I think back in the olden days you may have had to order an RJ25 from Western Electric to get 6 conductors.     Now I just look for the 6p6c RJ11 to get six conductors.

Peter

Edited by PeterAB, 24 May 2022 - 11:16 PM.

• wavefront likes this

#9 wavefront

wavefront

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2022 - 11:11 PM

Problem solved. Thank you so much :)

#10 Taosmath

Taosmath

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 May 2022 - 11:15 PM

Alan

pm sent.

Colin

• wavefront likes this

#11 frank5817

frank5817

James Webb Space Telescope

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 24 May 2022 - 11:16 PM

Glad you got your answer.

• wavefront and BFaucett like this

#12 wavefront

wavefront

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2022 - 12:12 PM

Glad you got your answer.

Thanks again Frank.  Now all I have to do is find a way to get one of the old R.A. control boxes. I'm marked as a vendor but haven't done any optical work for years. Don't know if I can put up a WTB ad for the box.

Just curious .... we had about 5 days of clouds here in Colorado (like it was stuck), but the sun is out today. Did AZ get all cloudy ?

Best2you .... Alan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Orion, Reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics