•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AR window vs UV/IR cut window?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheHarvester

TheHarvester

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 25 May 2022 - 11:06 PM

I have a ZWO ASI071MC Pro camera that came with an anti refection window over the chip. I read it's a good idea to use a UV/IR cut filter with the color cameras. I have and run a 2 inch UV/IR cut filter on front of my flattener but was wondering if there were any benefits or drawbacks to replacing the AR window in the camera with a UV/IR cut window and not using the screw on filter.

The only benefits I can see is there would be one less piece of glass for the light to go through. And I wouldn't have to stack filters if I wanted to use another filter, like my light pollution filter.

Would the UV/IR cut filter also provide some anti reflective properties or would, replacing the window possibly cause other issues?

I'll probably be replacing the desiccant tablets soon so if I do replace the window it would be at the same time so opening the camera wouldn't be an issue for me.

#2 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Vanguard

Posted 25 May 2022 - 11:33 PM

Someone asked QHY about their decisions on why some cameras have AR and others UV/IR blocking. The answer was, that some sensors just don't work well with the UV/IR glass so close to it. They recommended placing any filters, including UV/IR at least "filter wheel distance". 

Some other smaller cameras are purposely done with AR only for planetary imaging. 

I think it's the same reason why ZWO also do a mix, can't think of other reasons, beside cost savings.  

Also on aliexpress some of the RisingCam vendors lets you pick and choose if you want AR or UV/IRblocking front glass before purchasing. 

Edited by unimatrix0, 25 May 2022 - 11:34 PM.

• TheHarvester and psandelle like this

#3 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 25 May 2022 - 11:50 PM

I have a ZWO ASI071MC Pro camera that came with an anti refection window over the chip.

So do I.  I use an IDAS HEUIB-II filter  as my IR/UV cut filter.  I don't have LP so I have never felt the urge to stack filters. But I know many LP filters also cut UV and IR.  Which filter do you use for LP?

Edited by t-ara-fan, 25 May 2022 - 11:51 PM.

#4 TheHarvester

TheHarvester

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 26 May 2022 - 12:05 AM

I assumed, some sensors were more sensitive to uv and/or IR and thought that was the reason for the different filters on the different cameras. I didn't know about distance from sensor possibly making a difference. 

#5 TheHarvester

TheHarvester

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 26 May 2022 - 12:18 AM

So do I.  I use an IDAS HEUIB-II filter  as my IR/UV cut filter.  I don't have LP so I have never felt the urge to stack filters. But I know many LP filters also cut UV and IR.  Which filter do you use for LP?

Lucky you for the lack of light pollution.

I don't really do much imaging from home but do something testing and figured if I could get something from here with the use of a LP filter, why not. I have an Astromilk CLS filter. 

Another thing is, I use 3 different telescope and all 3 use different flatteners  so I need to swap the filter each time I change telescopes. No matter how careful I try to be, I get a smudge on the filter. My other option for that problem is to buy 2 more UV/IR filters.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics