•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best cameras' specifications for my telescope

Accessories Astrophotography Beginner CCD CMOS DSLR Equipment Imaging Optics Eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lachimie

lachimie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2022 - 03:12 PM

Hello... I´m sorry if this is not the right topic where to do this query, I was advised to post it here...

I have a 80 mm, f/11 achromatic refractor telescope, and I want to buy a DSLR camera for photographing the Sun, Moon and the main planets (almost certainly not Uranus nor Neptune, but who knows...)

What are the max. values of the camera's specifications I should look for, in order to not buying hardware that is too much for my telescope and accesories? I'm thinking about number of pixels, pixel size, pixel/arc min, and/ or any other parameter I should look for as a maximum. I'm from Argentina, where almost everything that comes is scarce, old and very, very expensive, so I want to know exactly what to buy.

Thank you very much in advance!

Edited by lachimie, 26 May 2022 - 03:12 PM.

• ColdyNitesNC likes this

#2 jrschmidt2

jrschmidt2

Vostok 1

• Loc: Fitchburg, WI

Posted 26 May 2022 - 03:28 PM

I'm not sure you want a DSLR for planetary work.  There are great high-speed CMOS planetry camera available for much less $$ that are also likely better suited (MUCH higher frame rate, smaller pixel size).  I believe the ASI462MC is quite popular now, as is still the older ASI224MC.

• ColdyNitesNC likes this

#3 lachimie

lachimie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2022 - 03:45 PM

Thank you very much! I'll try to search these ASI models. I'm "zero" in the astrophotography world, so any info you and others can share will be gold for me.

#4 John O'Grady

John O'Grady

Viking 1

• Loc: Waterloo, ON CAN

Posted 26 May 2022 - 04:23 PM

Use a calculator that also shows image scale overlaid on selected targets is often helpful.  You may be surprised to find that targets like the sun and moon have a significantly different FOV vs planetary, if you didn't know this already.  Here is an excellent online calculator:

https://astronomy.to...calculators/ccd

You might also want to search for and download ccdcalc.

Similarly, stelarium has a nice builtin feature for shoing FOV based on camera and telescope specifications.

#5 jlinsobe

jlinsobe

Explorer 1

• Loc: South Florida

Posted 26 May 2022 - 04:57 PM

I bookmarked this one: 

https://telescopius....scope-simulator

It can provide you with a good simulation of products that you want to try

The ZWO home page has a comparison tool.  These cameras are dedicated and arent cheap but they can give you an idea of the specs and imaging Chip that you need : Planets, Deep Sky, Nebula and galaxy, sun, or nature  etc.

Sony, Panasonic chips.  They are used by many vendors.

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com

Choose “Compare ASI Cameras” in red

Cameras (DSLR) need to have the LP2 filter removed.  It’s a delicate task and its best to buy them configured or send them to a trained technician.  I almost succeeded but a stupid ribbon took away my joy at the very last minute.   
you can get pretty good deal here on this website. (T3i Canon with flip screen)

SVBONY are decent cameras, and have good prices.

AliExpress sells them. 

Edited by jlinsobe, 26 May 2022 - 05:12 PM.

#6 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 26 May 2022 - 05:57 PM

The OP states:

"want to buy a DSLR camera for photographing the Sun, Moon and the main planets"

Moving to the DSLR forum as this is most appropriate.

#7 lachimie

lachimie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2022 - 09:40 PM

Thank you very much to all of you, I'll search every link you posted.

Edited by lachimie, 26 May 2022 - 09:42 PM.

#8 the Elf

the Elf

Skylab

• Loc: Germany

Posted 28 May 2022 - 12:54 AM

Not recommending anything but some info for you: the Canon 550D (quite old!) comes with a 1:1 crop video mode. Adding the firmware Magic Lantern the video can be recorded uncompressed. Downside is the camera has a very low writing speed so the video is very very small. I used it to photograph sun spots using a f/7 refractor and the Baader sun foil:

https://www.elf-of-l...un20210524.html

The planets are low for years from my loc so I have not tried yet.

Here is a thread I started a while ago

https://www.cloudyni...gital-zoom-myth

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Astrophotography, Beginner, CCD, CMOS, DSLR, Equipment, Imaging, Optics, Eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics