•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice on Intervalometer Software for Canon T7i

DSLR Software Imaging Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BiggieMac

BiggieMac

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Jacksonville Beach, Florida, USA

Posted 27 May 2022 - 09:47 AM

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on intervalometer software for my Canon T7i.

We're heading out under darker skies to the Golf Coast of Florida this afternoon for a couple nights and I'm wondering about the best option for either adding an intervalometer directly to my camera via some software like Magic Lantern or running a program on my Windows Laptop that I can connect to my camera and that would serve the same purpose as an intervalometer.

I would like to have this to help in my attempts in taking wide angle shots of the Milky Way this weekend.

Any relevant advice is much appreciated, thanks!

Joey

Edited by BiggieMac, 27 May 2022 - 10:02 AM.

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 27 May 2022 - 09:57 AM

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B07X87PBDH/

One thing about these.  On the one I have the "interval" includes the exposure.  So, if you want to take 60X60". you set the exposure to 60" and the interval to 61".  NOT 1 second.

Check that out before first use.

• BiggieMac likes this

#3 BiggieMac

BiggieMac

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2022 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for the advice Bobzeq25!

I was hoping for more of a software solution though instead of hardware, especially since I don’t have time to ship and receive anything before we head out this afternoon for the weekend, thanks!

Joey

#4 steveward53

steveward53

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Newmarket,UK

Posted 27 May 2022 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for the advice Bobzeq25!

I was hoping for more of a software solution though instead of hardware, especially since I don’t have time to ship and receive anything before we head out this afternoon for the weekend, thanks!

Joey

https://astrophotogr...p/downloads.php

• BiggieMac likes this

#5 BPoletti

BPoletti

Ranger 4

Posted 27 May 2022 - 10:05 AM

I picked up a Photoolex T710C for my T5i at the suggestion of one of our Astronomical Society members.  I have been satisfied with the unit.  It provides the flexibility for for exposure times, the number of exposures, the interval between exposures.  It is wired, so that is a small limitation, but it also does not require any kind of wireless setup.  I have found that programming is intuitive and easy.  The display is easy to read and the layout straightforward.  I have not had to change the batteries I originally installed in the unit a year ago.  

The T5i appears to have the same kind of remote port as the T7i.    

• BiggieMac likes this

#6 davebuechler

davebuechler

Viking 1

• Loc: San Luis Valley Colorado

Posted 27 May 2022 - 10:22 AM

I use Backyard EOS (BYE) Check it out, free download.

• BiggieMac likes this

#7 BiggieMac

BiggieMac

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2022 - 11:04 AM

Preciate all the feedback! 

Undecided between APT & BYE but any thoughts on the best place to download Backyard EOS?

Thanks!

Joey

#8 Napp

Napp

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 27 May 2022 - 11:11 AM

Undecided between APT & BYE but any thoughts on the best place to download Backyard EOS?

Thanks!

Joey

https://www.otelesco.../2-backyardeos/

• BiggieMac likes this

#9 FrostByte

FrostByte

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 27 May 2022 - 11:24 AM

+1 to BYEOS. Hands down one of the easier capture programs to get working. It's great software.

• BiggieMac likes this

#10 Iamhondo

Iamhondo

Vostok 1

• Loc: Salem, MO

Posted 27 May 2022 - 01:33 PM

Are you aware that Canon has a downloadable EOS Utility for Windows? It's free. One of its many features is an integrated intervalometer. (It's part of the utility, not a separate app.)

You'd need the correct cable -- "USB-A male to USB-B mini male" -- to connect the camera to the PC. 

With the EOS Utility, you can control shutter speed, aperture, ISO and more. It has a preview mode so you can see on the screen what the camera sees. And you can do some zooming to magnify images.

You'll definitely want to practice a lot beforehand. Just about any tool controlling a modern camera demands practice and manual reading. The Canon EOS Utility has a moderately ancient (late 1990's?) user interface mojo.

If you'll be out for a long time, power for the PC and the camera (and possibly dew control) is a non-trivial concern, too.

FWIW, I use BYEOS and the EOS utility for my DSLR captures.

Joe

• BiggieMac and BPoletti like this

#11 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 27 May 2022 - 01:54 PM

Thanks!

Joey

APT runs fine with the Canon 800D/7ti and is less expensive. I use it all the time.

And it connects to my Ioptron mounts without any issue, plate solving and controlling , all works great.

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 27 May 2022 - 01:55 PM.

• BiggieMac likes this

#12 Napp

Napp

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 27 May 2022 - 01:56 PM

Are you aware that Canon has a downloadable EOS Utility for Windows? It's free. One of its many features is an integrated intervalometer. (It's part of the utility, not a separate app.)

You'd need the correct cable -- "USB-A male to USB-B mini male" -- to connect the camera to the PC. 

With the EOS Utility, you can control shutter speed, aperture, ISO and more. It has a preview mode so you can see on the screen what the camera sees. And you can do some zooming to magnify images.

You'll definitely want to practice a lot beforehand. Just about any tool controlling a modern camera demands practice and manual reading. The Canon EOS Utility has a moderately ancient (late 1990's?) user interface mojo.

If you'll be out for a long time, power for the PC and the camera (and possibly dew control) is a non-trivial concern, too.

FWIW, I use BYEOS and the EOS utility for my DSLR captures.

Joe

Dew control is is a huge issue here and will be on the Gulf Coast this weekend.  You really need a dew shield and dew heater.  You can make a simple dew shield with cardboard or better yet a flexible plastic notebook cover.  Hopefully you have the dew heater.  

• BiggieMac likes this

#13 BiggieMac

BiggieMac

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2022 - 02:41 PM

Hi,

Thank you all for the feedback and helpful info! I ended up using the Canon EOS Utility timer via my laptop and it actually worked alright!

I will still look into APT and BYE in the future though, as I'm sure they are more robust and versatile tools.

Here are some of my results! (Will post separately and as screenshots of originals, due to the limiting size of these posts)

Joey

Edited by BiggieMac, 31 May 2022 - 04:06 PM.

#14 BiggieMac

BiggieMac

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2022 - 02:44 PM

Date: 5/28/22 (early AM)
Imaging lens: Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM (Untracked - 12mn26s (13s/frame x 69frames) ISO3200) - (No Darks, Bias, or Flats with this one)
Imaging camera: Canon EOS 800D / T7i (Modified)
Software: DeepSkyStacker 4.2 · Gimp 2.10

Smaller size screenshot attached - Link to full size:

https://www.cloudyni...rames-iso32002/

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2022-05-31 153625.jpg

Edited by BiggieMac, 31 May 2022 - 03:05 PM.

• Sheridan, t-ara-fan and BPoletti like this

#15 BiggieMac

BiggieMac

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2022 - 02:45 PM

Date: 5/29/22 (early AM)
Imaging lens: Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM (Untracked - 36mn7s (5s/frame x 427frames) ISO3200)
Imaging camera: Canon EOS 800D / T7i (Modified)
Software: DeepSkyStacker 4.2 · Gimp 2.10

Smaller size screenshot attached - Link to full size:

https://www.cloudyni...rames-iso32004/

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2022-05-31 153713.jpg

Edited by BiggieMac, 31 May 2022 - 03:05 PM.

• Sheridan, davebuechler and BPoletti like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DSLR, Software, Imaging, Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics