•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cave Astrola Catalog in the Internet Archive

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 27 May 2022 - 09:55 AM

This may be buried somewhere in another topic but I searched and didn't find it. I was browsing through the collections on the Internet Archive and came across a scanned copy of the 1965 Cave Astrola catalogue! Newtonians, Cassegrains and refractors. How about a 24" Cave Astrola Cassegrain?

https://archive.org/.../CaveTelescopes

• tim53, Steve C. and steve t like this

#2 Frank Otsuka

Frank Otsuka

Explorer 1

Posted 27 May 2022 - 11:04 AM

Awesome. Thanks.

I have the "transportable" 12 1/2 inch Model D in my garage.  Too heavy to move around LOL.

#3 petert913

petert913

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 27 May 2022 - 11:23 AM

I used to drool over their Cass/Newts as a kid.

Here is another site full of vintage catalogs

https://wiki.telesco.../wiki/Main_Page

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

#4 tim53

tim53

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 27 May 2022 - 12:38 PM

This may be buried somewhere in another topic but I searched and didn't find it. I was browsing through the collections on the Internet Archive and came across a scanned copy of the 1965 Cave Astrola catalogue! Newtonians, Cassegrains and refractors. How about a 24" Cave Astrola Cassegrain?

As far as I know, the 18" Newt and 18 1/2" Cass were the only ones built and sold.  

• steve t likes this

#5 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Vanguard

Posted 28 May 2022 - 11:44 AM

Dear Frank Otsuka. Many things were considered "transportable". Technically, the Space Shuttle was also transportable. 

The last thing that telescope manufacturers want is to lose business by scaring off potential customers if they perceive from the ads that the telescope they want to buy is too heavy. So they fit the word transportable in their ads. Legally, they have NOT lied. That 500 lb (just slightly exagerating) telescope that dreaming of IS transportable. But you will need a crew of about 6 very strong people to help you move the darn thing.

It's all a matter of perspective. What's having for one may not be so bad for another.

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

"

#6 Frank Otsuka

Frank Otsuka

Explorer 1

Posted 28 May 2022 - 05:30 PM

Hi,

I stand by my posting. I have not one, but two 14" Starliners from the same timeframe, same design. I can move and set up the Starliners by myself, but the Cave is too bulky.

#7 L. Regira

L. Regira

Ranger 4

• Loc: Theriot, LA 29' 42"N; 90.78W

Posted 05 June 2022 - 07:55 AM

I read where Cave was worried about the trend to more compact and lighter telescopes (Celestron products) so he had to offer more compact reflectors. Here is the telescope ad of the one I bought that was pictured in the catalog. The ad emphasized it weighed only 130 pounds and could be taken down easily in two minutes.  I also heard the model in the picture was 6 feet tall! It could be broken up into three sections, the OTA, mount, and the stand with wheels but it was never easy to do and not in two minutes. It was easy to roll it out of a garage with its wheels however. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.jpg

• steve t likes this

#8 bjkaras

bjkaras

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Back and forth between Santa Clara, CA and Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 July 2022 - 01:37 AM

As far as I know, the 18" Newt and 18 1/2" Cass were the only ones built and sold.  

I saw one of those mounts for sale a few years ago. I think it was on Astromart. 

• steve t likes this

#9 bjkaras

bjkaras

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Back and forth between Santa Clara, CA and Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 July 2022 - 01:47 AM

I read where Cave was worried about the trend to more compact and lighter telescopes (Celestron products) so he had to offer more compact reflectors. Here is the telescope ad of the one I bought that was pictured in the catalog. The ad emphasized it weighed only 130 pounds and could be taken down easily in two minutes.  I also heard the model in the picture was 6 feet tall! It could be broken up into three sections, the OTA, mount, and the stand with wheels but it was never easy to do and not in two minutes. It was easy to roll it out of a garage with its wheels however. 

I have a 10” f/5 on that mount. I can break it down and set it up pretty quickly, but not two minutes. More like 10 minutes. It rolls around pretty easily, but it’s the larges thing that will fit in my car. I would have liked the 12.5”, but that would be harder for one person to handle easily. Besides, at its highest point the focuser for the 10” is at eye level for me and I’m 6’3”.

Edited by bjkaras, 13 July 2022 - 11:24 PM.

• steve t likes this

#10 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 14 July 2022 - 02:25 PM

I've never seen that Cave chick before - what year is this?

-drl

#11 L. Regira

L. Regira

Ranger 4

• Loc: Theriot, LA 29' 42"N; 90.78W

Posted 15 July 2022 - 09:42 PM

It is from the 1977 catalog I believe although I doubt the catalog was updated each year. Is that not Tom Cave's daughter? I heard they used a very tall model for the photo so the telescope would not look too large but I could be wrong on both accounts. 

• steve t likes this

#12 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 16 July 2022 - 03:30 AM

I'm real sure that page is in my '78 catalog. I think Cave's daughter was the model on the cover.

Here's the 73-74 catalog. Same cover as my '78 but the contents is slightly different.

https://wiki.telesco...974_Catalog.pdf

Edited by Kasmos, 16 July 2022 - 03:30 AM.

• steve t likes this

#13 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 16 July 2022 - 09:50 AM

And here's 1976:

https://www.summers1...s/Cave_1976.pdf

Robert

• steve t likes this

#14 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 16 July 2022 - 10:38 AM

Just way too much trouble with a 12.5" and bigger scopes. Trying to get them two ring studs lined up with the saddle holes is too much with a such big OD on them 12.5" scopes. 10" is getting hard and a 8" is easy.

• steve t likes this

#15 Dave Cook

Dave Cook

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 August 2022 - 05:15 PM

Trick for that lineup process - set the EQ mount to point to the zenith and set the OTA vertically on a suitable platform.  You may have to rotate the pier cap on the pier to get leg clearance with the larger tubes.  It's a snap once you get the height right since you can fix rotational alignment with the dec axis motion.  Variations of this tactic are used to mount 150lb+ heads on bench mills.

#16 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 02 August 2022 - 06:13 PM

Trick for that lineup process - set the EQ mount to point to the zenith and set the OTA vertically on a suitable platform.  You may have to rotate the pier cap on the pier to get leg clearance with the larger tubes.  It's a snap once you get the height right since you can fix rotational alignment with the dec axis motion.  Variations of this tactic are used to mount 150lb+ heads on bench mills.

I went thru all that mess with a 120 lb OTA . I used a dolly to take it out and stand it up and remove the weights from the mount and slide the ring studs into the saddle. It was just way too much work and i sold the scope not long after i had it made back in 1990. Plus the mount was way too small.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0171.jpg

Edited by CHASLX200, 02 August 2022 - 06:13 PM.

#17 RichA

RichA

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 03 August 2022 - 02:15 AM

All fine except people don't wear doctor's smocks in observatories.  smile.gif  Also, I KNEW Cave made refractors after having seen one a LONG time ago at a local science-centre.

Edited by RichA, 03 August 2022 - 02:16 AM.

#18 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 03 August 2022 - 02:42 AM

All fine except people don't wear doctor's smocks in observatories.  smile.gif  Also, I KNEW Cave made refractors after having seen one a LONG time ago at a local science-centre.

Cave had a 4" refractor in their showroom that was part of my inspiration to build one.

Later they let me measure the tripod when I ordered a mount for my Jaegers.

I made sketches with dimensions and have no idea why I didn't think to take photos! foreheadslap.gif

Jaegers 4 Studio c.jpg

1978 is too long ago to remember very well, IIRC, some of the employees at Cave wore smocks.

Edited by Kasmos, 03 August 2022 - 12:28 PM.

• steve t, RichA and mdowns like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics