•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mounting Meade 14" SCT on CGX-L

Celestron Meade Mount SCT
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Clarkw

Clarkw

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 27 May 2022 - 07:44 PM

I have a Meade LX600 that might as well be a boat anchor. The cable management on LX600 is just a nightmare. SO...

I got a CGX-L mount. What I'm thinking of doing is to remove the OTA from the 14" LX600 mount. Mounting a dovetail bar on the OTA and then mounting it to the CGX-L. Add a StarLink with WiFi module. My question is:

1. How hard will it be to remove the LX600 OTA from the Mount arms? I'm hoping it is just unscrew both knobs and the OTA will be free.
  2. How about mounting the Dovetail bar to the OTA?
  3. The StarSense should work with the OTA after calibration right?

The point of all this is to get the 14" OTA with the Meade opticsl coating on that nice CGX-L mount. Add a spectrometer and/or ZWO ATI2600MM for astrophotography (at least until I can get a RASA).

Any assistance would be appreciated.

ClarkW

#2 Kitfox

Kitfox

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 27 May 2022 - 10:10 PM

Losmandy makes a beautiful plate specifically for the 14”. I have the 12” version on an old LX200 that I removed from the forks just as you plan, and have been using it on a G11 for over 20 years. It mounts to the front ring and the main mirror cell, and as is their norm, it is exceptionally machined and black anodized. 

I know Meade uses the Starsense on their Large German equatorial, the LX 850.  It will be interesting to see if it is compatible with the CGX L. 

Edited by Kitfox, 27 May 2022 - 10:18 PM.

#3 Clarkw

Clarkw

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2022 - 10:16 PM

First THANK YOU for your reply. I appreciate it deepy.

Is that the VUP14 dovetail? Gosh it would be great if it turns out to be that easy.

Clark

#4 Kitfox

Kitfox

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 27 May 2022 - 10:55 PM

https://store-losman...--d-series.html

Not sure if links are allowed...select the drop downs to choose your scope.  You need the pair of blocks to mount firmly to your scope.  

It is that rare kind of easy that is a pleasant surprise!

Edited by Kitfox, 27 May 2022 - 10:59 PM.

#5 EGregerson

EGregerson

Explorer 1

• Loc: Newport News, VA

Posted 27 May 2022 - 11:12 PM

I've found posts  on de-forking my LX90; step by step instructions; there may be posts for your OTA; Make sure the EQ mount will handle the ota + attachments; i understand 60% of mount capacity is recommended limit. 

#6 Clarkw

Clarkw

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2022 - 08:31 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful responses. Each one has helped me find exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you guys!

ClarkW

Edited by Clarkw, 29 May 2022 - 03:32 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Meade, Mount, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics