•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looks like I might have a serious problem with my CGXL mount - RA clutch is seized.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AstroCub

AstroCub

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 May 2022 - 03:26 PM

Long story short...........

* This CGXL mount is fresh out the box

* I put my 14" Edge on it today.

* I balanced the Dec, no problem.

* I opened the RA clutch, the RA axis moved, it was west heavy. I balanced it.

* I opened the clutch, brought the RA axis up to switch position, weights down. Then closed the clutch. 

* I opened the RA clutch lever again, to double check I had the mount east side heavy, but the RA axis would not move, at all. I checked and triple checked the lever was open, but the RA axis appears to be locked solid.

* I powered up the mount and it will slew both sides of the mount in RA & DEC. 

* But if I open the RA clutch - nothing, locked solid.

Is this a known issue with these mounts?

Any suggestions? I really don't want to have to have to pack all this up for shipping for repair, it took me 2 days to get it out of the box!!!!!

Thanks - and in shock

Siouxsie 

Edited by AstroCub, 28 May 2022 - 03:32 PM.

#2 DuncanM

DuncanM

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona Sky Village (Bortle 1) or the rain forest

Posted 28 May 2022 - 03:36 PM

Long story short...........

* This CGXL mount is fresh out the box

* I put my 14" Edge on it today.

* I balanced the Dec, no problem.

* I opened the RA clutch, the RA axis moved, it was west heavy. I balanced it.

* I opened the clutch, brought the RA axis up to switch position, weights down. Then closed the clutch. 

* I opened the RA clutch lever again, to double check I had the mount east side heavy, but the RA axis would not move, at all. I checked and triple checked the lever was open, but the RA axis appears to be locked solid.

* I powered up the mount and it will slew both sides of the mount in RA & DEC. 

* But if I open the RA clutch - nothing, locked solid.

Is this a known issue with these mounts?

Any suggestions? I really don't want to have to have to pack all this up for shipping for repair, it took me 2 days to get it out of the box!!!!!

Thanks - and in shock

Siouxsie 

I'm guessing that the RA clutch lever isn't engaging the plunger properly; it's not backing it off to release the clutch and allow manual movement in RA.

Your query might get more responses if posted in the mounts subforum:

https://www.cloudyni...orum/66-mounts/

Edited by DuncanM, 28 May 2022 - 03:38 PM.

#3 rob1986

rob1986

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 May 2022 - 03:38 PM

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by west or east heavy. On an EQ mount, on the RA axis, both sides are west or east. your have scope side, or counterweight side. I'm assuming you mean counterweight side?

#4 AstroCub

AstroCub

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 May 2022 - 03:46 PM

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by west or east heavy. On an EQ mount, on the RA axis, both sides are west or east. your have scope side, or counterweight side. I'm assuming you mean counterweight side?

Seriously, does that matter? The RA axis is completely seized and will not move when the clutch lever is opened. 

Edited by AstroCub, 28 May 2022 - 03:47 PM.

#5 rob1986

rob1986

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 May 2022 - 03:56 PM

Seriously, does that matter? The RA axis is completely seized and will not move when the clutch lever is opened. 

you wrote that you made sure that the mount was "east side heavy"

If you mean that you, for some reason, overbalanced The RA axis so that the scope would stay upright, it might be pressing on something which is locking the axis.

and if the scope moves under motor power, then it is not "seized", the clutch is refusing to disengage.

Have you unscrewed the clutch to examine it?

Edited by rob1986, 28 May 2022 - 03:57 PM.

#6 speedster

speedster

Vendor - Telescope Piers

• Vendors
  • Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 28 May 2022 - 04:34 PM

It seems CGX-L mounts are really tight.  I took the screw out of the orange clutch lever and moved it a couple of cogs.  My "released" position was then more "released".   In theory, that should not have made a difference but it did.  

• DuncanM and Michael Covington like this

#7 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 28 May 2022 - 06:16 PM

I'm not familiar with the CGXL, but if it works like other Celestron mounts, it's quite possible your clutch lever simply isn't turning far enough (counterclockwise) when you turn it "off."  Can you take the knob lever off and reattach it in a slightly different position?

Edited by Michael Covington, 28 May 2022 - 08:14 PM.

• DuncanM likes this

#8 AstroCub

AstroCub

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 May 2022 - 08:34 PM

It seems CGX-L mounts are really tight.  I took the screw out of the orange clutch lever and moved it a couple of cogs.  My "released" position was then more "released".   In theory, that should not have made a difference but it did.  

As per my original post, it's seized solid. I can't move it at all.

Prior to putting the OTA on I could open the clutch just fine and move the axis around by hand. It literally just suddenly locked up when I was trying to balance it in RA. It will slew under power in RA but will not move when the clutch lever is opened. 

#9 AstroCub

AstroCub

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 May 2022 - 08:39 PM

I'm not familiar with the CGXL, but if it works like other Celestron mounts, it's quite possible your clutch lever simply isn't turning far enough (counterclockwise) when you turn it "off."  Can you take the knob lever off and reattach it in a slightly different position?

Thanks, I tried that. No difference. 

#10 AstroCub

AstroCub

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 May 2022 - 09:13 PM

I did some research and it seems other people have had this same issue over the years including this person

https://www.cloudyni...x-l-seizing-up/

I think best I can hope for is to open a ticket with Celestron and get the mount either repaired or relpaced.

#11 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 28 May 2022 - 09:28 PM

Sad news, but good research on your part.   The reply by EFT in that thread is authoritative; Ed is a real expert.

Edited by Michael Covington, 28 May 2022 - 09:29 PM.

• AstroCub likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics