•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to protect my 10" mirror for travel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 14dobguy

14dobguy

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: rhode island

Posted 28 May 2022 - 03:51 PM

Hello all,been a long time since I've posted, been busy with 2 under 5s in the house. I'll be traveling from Australia to the east coast of the United states, I've taken my scope apart and already posted all the parts except the 10" mirror. What's the safest way to package it,and bring it with me? I'm thinking bring it with me on my carry on. Any thoughts?

#2 siriusandthepup

siriusandthepup

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 28 May 2022 - 04:13 PM

Will cost you a bit, but I believe the preferred method would be to use an armored case, with internal foam cut to fit your mirror.

Found this one that might work for ya.  Eylar Standard 16" Gear

• GeneT likes this

#3 14dobguy

14dobguy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 May 2022 - 04:55 PM

Ok so use foam,and I'll check out that link.

#4 PlanetMan

PlanetMan

Viking 1

• Loc: Upland, Ca.

Posted 29 May 2022 - 02:51 PM

I've sent a couple mirrors out to be refigured by well-known makers. I remember each coming back to me packed in a cardboard box, surrounded by closed-cell foam, with a layer or two of tissue paper immediately adjacent to the coated side of the mirror. There might have been an extra layer of cardboard over the top and bottom, but I don't think either were fully double-boxed. These were 8" and 12" mirrors. Carry-on sounds like a good idea to me.

Edited by PlanetMan, 29 May 2022 - 02:52 PM.

#5 14dobguy

14dobguy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2022 - 07:49 PM

Thanks planet man I'll incorporate the tissue. I hollowed out a big chunk of styrofoam, mirror fits in it pretty well,but I questioned it being directly touching the styrofoam, so thanks I'll add the tissue and make a little box for it.
  • PlanetMan likes this

#6 briansalomon1

briansalomon1

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oxnard CA

Posted 30 May 2022 - 06:27 AM

My 15" Ostahowski primary was shipped in a heavy double cardboard box. The mirror was wrapped in tissue paper (the paper was snug enough so it wouldn't rub against the mirror surface during shipment)

There was no foam with mine, it was simply many layers of cardboard tightly packed on all six sides of the mirror.

My secondary holder has a lip that goes around the outside edge of the mirror. The secondary was wrapped in a way that prevented the mirror surface from rubbing against the packing during shipment and it was shipped with extra batting behind the secondary that held it fairly tightly in the holder.

• jim kuhns likes this

#7 MellonLake

MellonLake

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 30 May 2022 - 08:42 AM

mirror 2-small.jpg

#8 14dobguy

14dobguy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2022 - 10:29 PM

Wow they did a good job packing that bad boy!!!

#9 MellonLake

MellonLake

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 31 May 2022 - 06:35 AM

It is my box to ship it for refiguring.

Rob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics