•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Atlas of Galactic Nebulae (AGN)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 31 May 2022 - 10:13 PM

I came across mention of this work in Kent Wallace's Visual Observations of Planetary Nebulae.  It's a three volume spiral bound set by Thorsten Neckel and the astrophotographer Hans Vehrenberg.  Naturally I was interested, but I'm having a hard time finding any information about it.  I did come across this article about one that was sold, and it has a couple pictures of what the thing looks like.  I also found this review by Wolfgang Steinicke and he mentions that there was a DVD version published.  I also found an old Astromart ad where volume 1 and volume 2 were sold for $120 back in 2017.

Does anyone know anything more about these?  I'd love to be able to pick up a copy, but they seem to be extremely rare.

• Crusty99 likes this

#2 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 01 June 2022 - 02:25 AM

What do you want to know? I have both the physical 3 binder set and the digital version. They are basically images from the DSS I think with notations in Enlgish and German. Each volume comes with a booklet and index. The third volume is the southerne hemissphere. They are quite large binders. The DVD version is a good refelction of the paper version and more convinient to use.

• BrentKnight and Crusty99 like this

#3 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2022 - 09:40 AM

I'm glad to hear at least one CN member has copies of this...

I misunderstood and thought they were images captured by Vehrenberg, but it sounds like they are not.  From the review:

The authors collected 1547 objects, mainly emission and reflection nebulae, from the POSS and the ESO/SERC Southern Sky Survey. Depending on their size, the black and white reproductions vary from the original plate scale (67.3"/mm) up to 15 times magnification. In a few cases images made at the german-spanish Calar AltoObservatory or La Silla in Chile were used.

Do you feel they are still worthwhile as a reference for visual, EAA or AP amatures? How much details do the annotations have?  Do you have any idea where these might be obtained?

• Crusty99 likes this

#4 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 01 June 2022 - 12:58 PM

Not something I'd normally go looking for, but out of curiosity, I just did a quick search. Can't recall the last time that all of the sources I usually rely on came up completely empty.

• BrentKnight and Crusty99 like this

#5 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 June 2022 - 02:51 PM

The review by Wolfgang pretty well describes them. I am a visual observer so have no idea what EAA obervers do. Anyway hopefully this screenshot will give you an idea of the annotations

AGN.jpg

You might try http://www.stellarum.de/ to see if they are still available on a DVD. I will check my Webb Soc stock as I think I may still have a copy there.

• Crusty99 likes this

#6 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2022 - 03:39 PM

I will check.  Thanks much!

• Crusty99 likes this

#7 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2022 - 01:45 PM

Thanks Owen.  I've got a DVD on the way from the Webb Society.

• desertstars, Knasal and Crusty99 like this

#8 Kyphoron

Kyphoron

Viking 1

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 04 June 2022 - 09:01 AM

Brent,

Do you have a link to the site? 

• Crusty99 likes this

#9 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2022 - 02:40 PM

Brent,

Do you have a link to the site? 

I'll send you a PM.

• Crusty99 likes this

#10 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 June 2022 - 03:04 PM

I think that was our last copy of the DVD which we sent to Brent. The link I posted to the orginal makers of this DVD should tell you if they still have them or distribute them. If they are not doing that then I can talk with them and see if they would mind us redistributing it, probably on a USB stick going forward,

Owen

Webb President.

• turtle86, bbanicki, BrentKnight and 2 others like this

#11 Kyphoron

Kyphoron

Viking 1

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 04 June 2022 - 05:36 PM

Owen,

Thanks for the information, I would be interested if it is possible to get one. I am a collector of atlases and have seen the paper copy offered many times but the prices are way too much. You can private message me with any information you come up with.

• Crusty99 likes this

#12 Alvan Clark

Alvan Clark

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 June 2022 - 01:38 PM

I would think this was sold in the 80's by either Willbell or Sky publishing. Anyone with catalogs from that time period or ads in Sky and telescope would probably show this book. I'd look myself but can't narrow down the time frame enough.

• Crusty99 likes this

#13 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 June 2022 - 01:41 PM

I don't think it was. The publisher details in the books suggest not. There is no indication of joint publishing.

• Crusty99 likes this

#14 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 June 2022 - 02:44 AM

I had a conversation with the orginal supplier at Schurwaldsternwarte e.V. <schurwaldsternwarte@online.de> and they can still make  and supply the DVD's. I am not sure what they are charging for them. They did also have a number of other hsitorical atlases available in their DVD series.

• turtle86, BrentKnight, Crusty99 and 1 other like this

#15 Crusty99

Crusty99

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 June 2022 - 01:11 AM

I came across mention of this work in Kent Wallace's Visual Observations of Planetary Nebulae.  It's a three volume spiral bound set by Thorsten Neckel and the astrophotographer Hans Vehrenberg.  Naturally I was interested, but I'm having a hard time finding any information about it.  I did come across this article about one that was sold, and it has a couple pictures of what the thing looks like.  I also found this review by Wolfgang Steinicke and he mentions that there was a DVD version published.  I also found an old Astromart ad where volume 1 and volume 2 were sold for $120 back in 2017.

Does anyone know anything more about these?  I'd love to be able to pick up a copy, but they seem to be extremely rare.

Brent,

Thanks for serving as one of our important moderators. And thanks to other moderators, as well.

waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

Bob

Kentucky

• BrentKnight likes this

#16 Alvan Clark

Alvan Clark

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2022 - 10:26 AM

I don't think it was. The publisher details in the books suggest not. There is no indication of joint publishing.

Hi, I think this was in response to my post. I wasn't suggesting that it was published by Willbell or Sky Publishing.

Distributed would be a better word. Most of his work was probably published in Germany but would be sold in the USA by others. Atlas of Deep Sky Splendours may have been jointly published with Sky Pub. I believe his 6th magnitude Handbook of the Constellations was sold in the USA by one or both of those but published in Germany.

#17 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2022 - 10:45 AM

I checked the website Owen shared earlier.  It list these atlases (DVDs only) may be available through an email address provided on that site.

ATLAS STELLARUM

The Vehrenberg Atlases

ATLAS STELLARUM HISTORICAL

Historical Photographic Star Atlases

ATLAS LUNARUM

Historical Lunar Atlases

Others may also be available but would require more communication.  I don't see any evidence of USA publishers or distributors.

#18 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2022 - 03:29 PM

There aren't any. It came via the website only as far as I know. The Webb Society did resell the star atlases for a while but they were not popular and were difficult to sell. I contacted the chap at the e-mail address I quoted and he said that they would still distribute them. They are thinking about USB sticks as well from the conversations I had with him.so rather than just randomly thinking I suggest you get in touch and find out what they are willing to do.

#19 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:36 AM

Has there been any follow up to this by anyone?  I don't often use my AGN, but I find it useful nonetheless.  It's really a shame that this resource is almost impossible to access.  I would think a website similar to how Barnard's Atlas of Selected Regions of the Milky Way would be a great way to share this.

#20 Alsterling

Alsterling

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 May 2024 - 10:44 PM

I de-shelved my copy yesterday. De-cluttering triggers quite the 30+ year memory lane experience. 

Alister.

P.S.  Hi Owen!

20240505_100140sm.jpg

20240505_100407sm.jpg

• BrentKnight likes this

#21 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 May 2024 - 02:06 AM

I still have my set bound like this as well as the digital version :-)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics