•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

All Southern Caldwell Objects (C80-C109)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 26 June 2022 - 08:59 AM

Cr 249 (C100) is an open cluster with nebulosity, also called the “Running Chicken Nebula”. The cluster Collinder 249 is quite poor, with a few bright stars and it’s a bit bar-shaped. It’s easy to see the nebulosity IC 2948 curving around it in a boomerang or “Z” shape. At some parts the nebula is brighter and at other spots, darker zones appear. Clearly, this is much more a photographic object than a visual one. Just outside the sketch is the bright Lambda Centauri with the second part of nebulosity around it: IC 2944. Sketched with a 12" dobson @103x.

IC 2944.jpg

NGC 6744 (C101), the Pavo Galaxy proved to be a tough object, as is often the case with a face-on. It did not help seeing this object for the first time in my life and immediately having to draw it… This is a large galaxy and with a mottled appearance. The shape is slightly oval and the core is small, almond shaped and very bright. Five foreground stars could be seen on the face and two more near the edge. Spiral structure is seen, but it’s hard to see individual arms. I think I saw the N one (down in the sketch), but only because there is a dark zone between it and the core. On the S-side this is less obvious. This galaxy screams for larger aperture. Sketched with a 16″ Dieter Martini dobson @81x.

NGC 6744.jpg

• frank5817, Jef De Wit, mdowns and 4 others like this

#52 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid Atlantic, USA

Posted 26 June 2022 - 09:18 AM

I had forgotten altogether that the Running Chicken was a Caldwell object! I have no memory of my observation of it through the 5-in, but I had many photographic run-ins with it. It wasn't easy with an unmodded DSLR, but I gave it some dedicated treatment in an AP project I called "The Great Southern Chook":

get.jpg?insecure

As to C101 (which I also had to shoot), with the exception of Carina and Omega Centauri (and possibly the Tarantula and the Southern Beehive) I pretty much felt all the Calwell objects screamed for more aperture than 5 inches! lol.gif That's why I soon pivoted to the camera. At least with the 16-in, you got some reasonable detail at the eyepiece.

BQ

Edit: I guess 47 Tuc was pretty good at 5-in, too…

Edited by BQ Octantis, 26 June 2022 - 09:37 AM.

• cloudbuster likes this

#53 mdowns

mdowns

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 26 June 2022 - 09:32 AM

Martijn,if I could give you a hundred likes for the content and arrangement of this thread,I would.So much fun for those of us north of the equator to see and read about.

• frank5817 and bphaneuf like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics