•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is this refractor?

Equipment Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 16 June 2022 - 11:06 AM

For what it's worth:

I have not idea what this scope is but it's very interesting and quite a paradox. The combination is intriguing.  The combination of obviously new parts and seemingly quite old parts is a quandary. I can almost convince myself it could be a more modern attempt at a classic look but I look at that case and the focuser and my mind says.. no way.

Whatever it is, it's a beauty.

Jon

• John O'Hara likes this

#27 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 16 June 2022 - 04:23 PM

It looks like an old ATM'er rebuilt it from a mix of original and later machined aluminum parts. 

#28 oldscope

oldscope

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: State of perpetual confusion

Posted 16 June 2022 - 09:59 PM

Your telescope is definitely a mix of original parts from a Brashear or early Fecker refractor, as well as a lot of home-brew components. Here is what I know ... the eyepiece is a Brashear or Fecker eyepiece. If Fecker, it will be stamped with his name. Brashear did not put his name on his eyepieces. But it is absolutely one or the other. The focuser assembly ... same thing. However the knobs for the focuser rack are replacements. But the nickel plated draw tube; the rack gear, the pinion housing and the eyepiece holder are original, from the late 'teens or early 1920's, but possibly as late as the early 1930's. The finder rings may be original and parts of the finder may be original too. Everything else? No clue ...

Bart F.

• Jon Isaacs, deSitter, John O'Hara and 4 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics