•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M51-From the Roof

Astrophotography Beginner CMOS Dob DSO EAA
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kb38758

kb38758

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Winthrop, Massachusetts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 11:20 AM

06/14/2022
I decided to try something new at my location.
I’ve always had to shoot up through the neighbor’s security lights, resulting in a lot of light pollution that I’ve needed to spend time processing out of the image.
So, I decided to take my sessions to the next level.
By the next level, I mean…I decided to place my equipment on my shop’s nice, big, flat roof!
A bit of a challenge to get everything up there, (and back down again at the end of the session) but worth the effort for my test, as now I was ABOVE the neighbor’s lights.
I chose an old favorite, M51, The Whirlpool Galaxy, 23 million light years distance.
I’ve never gotten an image that I was really happy with.
Below are images of my setup, followed by my NEW image and then my best version of my old images.
Next time you’re on your roof, over this hobby, bring your equipment with you!

Orion Xtg10 goto Alt/Azimuth telescope
ZWO 178 MC camera
Baader Planetarium Neodymium Filter
ZWO EAF focuser
M51, The Whirlpool Galaxy, 23 million light years distance
882x5 second subs survived sorting
M51 Processed in Pixinsight, Photoshop, and Topaz
Bortle 7

Roof

Roof2

Z1 M51 2022 06 14 DBE PhotoCalib PS1 very compressed scale 2 00x gigapixel Blurry SharpenAI focus PS1 Startools

Z2 M51 RGB session 1 St PS

Edited by kb38758, 15 June 2022 - 11:22 AM.

• revans, Kenny V., mikewayne3 and 12 others like this

#2 Skysmacker

Skysmacker

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Bay Area CA

Posted 15 June 2022 - 11:25 AM

Good move!

I would like to have a flat roof to crawl upon and do some imaging.

Really like the improvement on the image. Much brighter and quite a bit of detail. The colors really come through!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

• kb38758 and Loopster like this

#3 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 15 June 2022 - 11:40 AM

You may find that the seeing appears worse when shooting from on top of a roof that will spend all evening radiating away the heat that it stored all day while sunlit.

Best bet is to shoot from a field of grass, which does not radiate heat once the sun goes down.
  • kb38758 likes this

#4 rblackadar

rblackadar

Messenger

• Loc: Northern California (Mt. Tam)

Posted 15 June 2022 - 12:24 PM

You may find that the seeing appears worse when shooting from on top of a roof that will spend all evening radiating away the heat that it stored all day while sunlit.

You can minimize this effect by placing the scope near the edge of the roof, in the direction it's pointing. Safety first, though!

I have a flat roof that has worked OK for me; in my case it's mainly for avoiding trees. The main issue that I have is that the roof sags a bit under my weight, so that for DSOs I can't be anywhere on it while I'm collecting data. For planetary I can stand near the scope, but I have to stand pretty still. Which gets tedious. And, there's the safety issue as well.

• Skysmacker and kb38758 like this

#5 Yerman

Yerman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 June 2022 - 12:25 PM

I like the image, roof or no roof the colors are spot on. Good job.

• kb38758 likes this

#6 ram812

ram812

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2022 - 12:54 PM

I did that in the 70's (When I was much younger☺) with an old C-8 and wedge, and boy, was dad p*ssed off! 😯😯😯. Great effort for the effort😉😁

CS, Ralph
  • kb38758 likes this

#7 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Vanguard

Posted 15 June 2022 - 02:46 PM

Before reading and just seeing the pictures, I thought you were gonna shoot from a boat! lol.gif

Yeah, as others says, roofs feel inviting with more open view to the sky but roofs that are especially black are radiating heat in summer, but winter too. I have trouble getting good images from the southern direction, because I got houses that way and there are a couple of stacks I never fully developed, because I can't repair them. 

• Skysmacker and kb38758 like this

#8 VincenzoZito

VincenzoZito

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 June 2022 - 02:55 PM

Hi,

A 3X3 waxed carpet underneath and grass-like velveteen above to be placed under the telescope limits the heat radiation of the roof.

• Oort Cloud and kb38758 like this

#9 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 15 June 2022 - 04:49 PM

Hi,
A 3X3 waxed carpet underneath and grass-like velveteen above to be placed under the telescope limits the heat radiation of the roof.

This is true for that 3x3 spot, but if you're not at the edge, aiming beyond that same edge, then you're still shooting over the rest of the roof, which is still radiating heat.

Nonetheless, if it gets you away from local LP or gives you a view of the sky that you can't get elsewhere, rooftop shooting could still be the best option, especially if it's a light colored roof.
  • kb38758 likes this

#10 kb38758

kb38758

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 June 2022 - 06:58 PM

Just a note that I forgot to mention. I WAS shooting over the edge that I put the scope at. There was only 3 feet of roof in that direction. Thanks all for the tips and advice though!

#11 kb38758

kb38758

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 June 2022 - 07:05 PM

This is true for that 3x3 spot, but if you're not at the edge, aiming beyond that same edge, then you're still shooting over the rest of the roof, which is still radiating heat.

Nonetheless, if it gets you away from local LP or gives you a view of the sky that you can't get elsewhere, rooftop shooting could still be the best option, especially if it's a light colored roof.

It was just a test to see if it made any difference if I got ABOVE those security lights.  Also, I DID shoot over that edge of roof. There was only about 3 feet of roof there when I began. I'm not going to make a habit of this location, but, it's nice to know I have SOME control over the surrounding lights, when it's worth the effort. I also wanted to work the bugs out of setting up in this location, as I plan to try for the early morning planets in a few weeks, and, the houses are in the way. (WERE in the way.)

#12 MrWizard714

MrWizard714

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 15 June 2022 - 07:45 PM

Don't know that I could add anything but to say these are great pictures!

Edited by MrWizard714, 15 June 2022 - 07:45 PM.

• kb38758 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, CMOS, Dob, DSO, EAA

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics