•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sears 76.2mm RAO 6339

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 16 June 2022 - 03:46 PM

It is complete to every detail I know about. Feel free to bum me out. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010002.JPG
  • P1010003.JPG
  • P1010005.JPG
  • P1010006.JPG

• Jae, Marc-Andre, Terra Nova and 7 others like this

#2 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2022 - 03:49 PM

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010007.JPG
  • P1010009.JPG
  • P1010010.JPG
  • P1010001.JPG

• Jae, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#3 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2022 - 03:50 PM

I couldn't find a flaw in this. Click the picture for full size. I kept it as large as I could. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010018.JPG

Edited by apfever, 16 June 2022 - 03:52 PM.

• Jae, Kokatha man, Marc-Andre and 9 others like this

#4 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2022 - 03:54 PM

Total horrors for the scope:

1. very stiff grease

2. small dent in one setting circle

#5 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Apollo

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 16 June 2022 - 04:22 PM

3. There should be two washers for each leg bolt and wingnut! shocked.gif

Nice find.

#6 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Apollo

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 16 June 2022 - 04:57 PM

I couldn't find a flaw in this. Click the picture for full size. I kept it as large as I could. 

Wow!  It looks as good as new. The objective is pristine. I don't see the tray light. The small dent in the setting circle is a common occurrence as well as the stiff 55+ years old grease. A complete disassembly, cleaning and lubrication is mandatory here. Congratulations on this great find.

#7 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 16 June 2022 - 04:59 PM

Very nice!

#8 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 16 June 2022 - 05:40 PM

Score! I love Sears scopes more than all other classics! Yours has the corrosion on the DEC axis that is puzzling - mine had the same, a generous user sent me one in much better shape. On my copy of the 6344, all the chrome was perfect, other than that DEC axis. 

My Tasco 10TE with the same objective as this, is the most optically perfect scope I own. It's a tie with his big brother, the Sears 6345.

-drl

• oldmanastro and ErnH2O like this

#9 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2022 - 06:04 PM

3. There should be two washers for each leg bolt and wingnut! shocked.gif

Nice find.

OH NO! The horror, the horror!  Wait, checking, unbelievable...all there. The washers were pushed together on each bolt and look like one washer in the pic. 

• BFaucett and DouglasPaul like this

#10 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2022 - 06:30 PM

Wow!  It looks as good as new. The objective is pristine. I don't see the tray light. The small dent in the setting circle is a common occurrence as well as the stiff 55+ years old grease. A complete disassembly, cleaning and lubrication is mandatory here. Congratulations on this great find.

That's right, you don't see the tray light.  You also don't see the slo-mo floppies with different knobs and no corrosion.  Good job so far.  Anything else folks?  Lay it on me. 

I had those on the B bar with the OTA and neglected to photo them.  I checked the light while the seller was here. It had no batteries installed but I had some to test it. I hope these did not ship with batteries, then I'd be missing the originals. Original bulb, switch, and teeny mounting bolts and wing nuts. Works great, fired up first time.  I have a few of these lights but this IS the one that came with it.

Ohhh no, not doing a complete mount job on this one.  I'll spray the penetrating lube into all the strategic points of infiltration along with some 3inOne at other places. It will get happy. Going minimal intrusion on this one so far. I just want the kitchen back. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010003.JPG
  • P1010004.JPG

Edited by apfever, 16 June 2022 - 06:35 PM.

• deSitter, mdowns, Terra Nova and 5 others like this

#11 ErnH2O

ErnH2O

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2022 - 08:38 PM

The coffee pot is quite small. That is about the size of my cup, but I'm an addict. Congratulations, great find.
  • BFaucett likes this

#12 4Texans

4Texans

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: AL

Posted 16 June 2022 - 09:14 PM

Great find! I have one of these as well, but not as complete as yours. It delivers great images! Enjoy!

#13 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Apollo

Posted 16 June 2022 - 09:44 PM

That's right, you don't see the tray light.  You also don't see the slo-mo floppies with different knobs and no corrosion.  Good job so far.  Anything else folks?  Lay it on me. 

I had those on the B bar with the OTA and neglected to photo them.  I checked the light while the seller was here. It had no batteries installed but I had some to test it. I hope these did not ship with batteries, then I'd be missing the originals. Original bulb, switch, and teeny mounting bolts and wing nuts. Works great, fired up first time.  I have a few of these lights but this IS the one that came with it.

Ohhh no, not doing a complete mount job on this one.  I'll spray the penetrating lube into all the strategic points of infiltration along with some 3inOne at other places. It will get happy. Going minimal intrusion on this one so far. I just want the kitchen back. 

Great, the working tray light and the slow motion cables are there. That kit is complete. I understand about the mount job. I have done three already. I was not going to do the last one but went ahead and did it anyway. The "pain" is  adjusting the eccentrics that hold the RA worm gear. If that's the original tripod legs chain, and it looks like it is, then not all of Sears scopes used Sash chain. Get a nice pic when you get it all together. It's a nice mid 60s Sears refractor. 

• Piggyback likes this

#14 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Apollo

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 16 June 2022 - 11:17 PM

Mine is not a Sears but a Sans & Streiffe, I don't know if my brand came with that cover for the focuser end but I don't have one. I'm jealous.

#15 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2022 - 11:53 PM

The coffee pot is quite small. That is about the size of my cup, but I'm an addict. Congratulations, great find.

Snubbed!

That's a little under 1/2 gallon. I have a quart in the morning. My brother has a quart in the morning. When we visit, we take a coffee maker because one won't cut it.  TY on the find.

Great, the working tray light and the slow motion cables are there. That kit is complete. I understand about the mount job. I have done three already. I was not going to do the last one but went ahead and did it anyway. The "pain" is  adjusting the eccentrics that hold the RA worm gear. If that's the original tripod legs chain, and it looks like it is, then not all of Sears scopes used Sash chain. Get a nice pic when you get it all together. It's a nice mid 60s Sears refractor. 

I was wondering about the chain. That will take some picture searches to confirm. My first thought was it's original but different. I have a roll of the stainless #4 Hobby sash chain if a search shows only that type. 

• Jae, oldmanastro and ErnH2O like this

#16 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 17 June 2022 - 02:51 AM

Nice purchase!

Regarding the chain. It's a RAO and not a Towa so it wouldn't necessarilly have the same kind of chain. Then I see the tray light and it makes me question if I've ever noticed that type of light on anything other than a Towa? It also has color coded EPs. hmm.gif Did any other non Sears RAO telescopes ever share theses features? I realize the makers likely used a lot of the same sources, but this is the first time I noticed these shared features.

• oldmanastro likes this

#17 walter a

walter a

Viking 1

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted 17 June 2022 - 06:59 AM

Thats a nice find. Mine had the same chain.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1334.JPG

• Terra Nova, oldmanastro, BFaucett and 2 others like this

#18 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 17 June 2022 - 07:47 AM

Excellent find.  I don't see a clock drive.

Edited by Garyth64, 17 June 2022 - 07:47 AM.

#19 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Apollo

Posted 17 June 2022 - 08:13 AM

Nice purchase!

Regarding the chain. It's a RAO and not a Towa so it wouldn't necessarilly have the same kind of chain. Then I see the tray light and it makes me question if I've ever noticed that type of light on anything other than a Towa? It also has color coded EPs. hmm.gif Did any other non Sears RAO telescopes ever share theses features? I realize the makers likely used a lot of the same sources, but this is the first time I noticed these shared features.

It looks like the original chain and the post following yours shows the same one. This means that Sears RAO scopes used a different chain than the Towa scopes. About the tray light, all Sears astronomical scopes, Towas and RAOs from the 60s used the same tray light. There are two types. One has the flared lamp shade and the other one has a straight non flared shade. It seems that the latter is an earlier form of the lamp. 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#20 Jae

Jae

Apollo

• Loc: New England

Posted 17 June 2022 - 09:09 AM

Love this scope.    Many years, decade+ ? ago, I won one on ebay then I got an email from a CN member begging me if I would sell it to him as it was his childhood first real scope.   So I did and we got to be long distance friends but then lost touch.   So of course seeing yours, it makes me want to have one badly.  Not a good idea as I have a nice Tasco 15TE already.

Funny, he then won a Unitron 114, said by a bidding mistake and ask me to buy it so I did.   Maybe I was too nice a guy - lol, clearly in the middle of my classic binging state.  But I do enjoy that 114 with the unihex.   

Edited by Jae, 17 June 2022 - 09:19 AM.

• Don Taylor, BFaucett and jkmccarthy like this

#21 rweisberg

rweisberg

Explorer 1

• Loc: Gold Canyon, Arizona

Posted 17 June 2022 - 10:29 AM

Beautiful scope. I have one too, complete, but the actual scope is older- a 6339, not the 6339A. Mine, based on the serial number, is from 1965.  Wonderful optics by Royal Astro of Japan. You will enjoy it. 

#22 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 76645

Posted 17 June 2022 - 11:58 AM

What a great score.

#23 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 17 June 2022 - 12:15 PM

It looks like the original chain and the post following yours shows the same one. This means that Sears RAO scopes used a different chain than the Towa scopes. About the tray light, all Sears astronomical scopes, Towas and RAOs from the 60s used the same tray light. There are two types. One has the flared lamp shade and the other one has a straight non flared shade. It seems that the latter is an earlier form of the lamp. 

Some of the lamps also had a curved arm without a center ball joint. I've seen that type in chrome or black

#24 Stargoat

Stargoat

Apollo

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 17 June 2022 - 01:34 PM

Some of the lamps also had a curved arm without a center ball joint. I've seen that type in chrome or blackThe

The black curved arms are found on the earlier Sears 60mm and 76.2mm scopes. Examples would be the 6335 and the 6336 scopes with the silver focuser/box name tags as opposed to the black tags. The lower serial numbers bear this out and so do the ads in the Sears sales catalogs pictures...which of course were always slow to be updated in the catalogs.

• oldmanastro and Kasmos like this

#25 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 17 June 2022 - 08:34 PM

The later copies of the 6344 and the 6345 had a tray light with a magnetic base that nested into an odd corner of the tripod tray. That is a sort of grail item for me. These tray lights did not use wingnuts to fasten to the tray.

A modern upgrade I consider OK is to replace the bulb by a red 3v LED and a 100 ohm resistor in series. This works beautifully and provides exactly the right amount of light.

-drl

• oldmanastro likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics