•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Gluing Felt and Fabrics to Mounts and in Boxes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: So Cal

Posted 17 June 2022 - 09:40 PM

I need to do some small repairs to some mounts and boxes where the felt or flannel has either completely come off and missing or where it's loose and lifting.

Some of them look like they originally used contact cement while others look to have a clearish looking residue.

I kind of hate using contact cement since it can get goopy and messy to work with plus it can become dark where it might bleed thru.

In the past I just used plain old Elmers white glue but I'm not sure how good it would adhere to painted items like mount clams.

So what do you guys like to use?

For gluing Fabric to Metal

or Fabric to Wood

BTW, I have some felt with a self adhesive backing but it's a little too thick for some applications.

#2 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Apollo

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 17 June 2022 - 10:20 PM

I have used contact cement to adhere felt on metal surfaces with good results. I guess it could work on wood too.

• Kasmos likes this

#3 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 June 2022 - 10:34 PM

Two sided tape kicks butt. I use a good 3M brand. 

The self adhesive felt will dry out after a while and become a smooth back with no tack at all.

Two sided tape fixes dry no longer self adhesive felt.

Make sure the mounting surface is clean. Dust and debris can deactivate two sided tape where glue can goober on through it. 

Too much glue can soak into felt and turn it hard. 

Try the tape just to know what it can do. I've had good luck with wood cradles in boxes. Rough sawn cradles can be lightly sanded for better taping.

I've smoothed rough cradles by working in a thin layer of white glue, let the glue set up some, then the tape. 

• tturtle, GreyDay, Kasmos and 1 other like this

#4 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Apollo

• Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 18 June 2022 - 06:07 AM

Two sided tape kicks butt. I use a good 3M brand. 

The self adhesive felt will dry out after a while and become a smooth back with no tack at all.

Two sided tape fixes dry no longer self adhesive felt.

Make sure the mounting surface is clean. Dust and debris can deactivate two sided tape where glue can goober on through it. 

Too much glue can soak into felt and turn it hard. 

Try the tape just to know what it can do. I've had good luck with wood cradles in boxes. Rough sawn cradles can be lightly sanded for better taping.

I've smoothed rough cradles by working in a thin layer of white glue, let the glue set up some, then the tape. 

I second the motion on two-sided tape

#5 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 18 June 2022 - 06:44 AM

You might check with a craft store. They make glues specifically for fabrics.

#6 1939Dodge

1939Dodge

Mariner 2

• Loc: Danville, Pa.

Posted 18 June 2022 - 08:46 AM

Use a spray adhesive. One 

LIGHT coat, then stick the fabric in place.

• albert1, Jim Curry, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#7 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: So Cal

Posted 18 June 2022 - 04:18 PM

On all kinds of projects I've used spray adhesives, double sided tape, plus a 3M adhesive that comes on a roll that after you burnish it down you remove the backing. I never thought the double sided tape or the 3M stuff on the roll was a very good permanent way to attach fabric, so I've only used them as a temporary fix.

They all have their pros and cons so I'm still interested in what others use or have to say.

#8 NinePlanets

NinePlanets

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: High and Dry

Posted 18 June 2022 - 04:32 PM

Rubber cement and hot glue both work pretty well, but I prefer the hot glue. Dries faster, no volatiles to speak of.

• Kasmos likes this

#9 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 18 June 2022 - 06:05 PM

3M makes a double sided sheet adhesive that's used for cell phone screens etc. It's very strong and permanent, and since it's in a sheet format, you can cut it to what you need. That said I still love the 3M spray adhesives, 77 for regular duty and 99 for the difficult jobs.

• deSitter and DS-16A like this

#10 jsiska

jsiska

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Ohio

Posted 18 June 2022 - 08:49 PM

I have a small collection of revolvers with their accoutrements from the Civil War period to the early 1870s for which I have lined wooden presentation boxes with various felt type cloths for display purposes. I've used the double stick tape with success; however, I most often use Beacon Fabri-Fix Permanent Adhesive which I get at Joann Fabric. It dries fast and is clear, and is not messy like contact cement can be. It holds the cloth very well to wood surfaces. It only requires a small amount to be used and with that small amount it doesn't bleed through.

https://www.joann.co...e/15357247.html

• deSitter, Kasmos and NinePlanets like this

#11 jragsdale

jragsdale

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 20 June 2022 - 11:35 PM

I like contact cement or spray adhesive.

#12 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: STL

Posted 21 June 2022 - 08:06 PM

Some good suggestions here.  I’ve had good luck with tube silicone 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics