•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bourbon and Binoviewing

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 wrvond

wrvond

Skylab

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 27 June 2022 - 02:11 PM

Shortest star atlas ever - The Atlas of Double Stars while Drinking Bourbon

They're ALL doubles!!  Eyecrazy.gif   rofl2.gif rofl2.gif

• Doug Culbertson, BRCoz, Jeff B and 5 others like this

#27 MarMax

MarMax

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 27 June 2022 - 02:33 PM

funnypost.gif

#28 ckwastro

ckwastro

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 27 June 2022 - 03:46 PM

Shortest star atlas ever - The Atlas of Double Stars while Drinking Bourbon

They're ALL doubles!!  Eyecrazy.gif   rofl2.gif rofl2.gif

lol.gif

#29 Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

Vendor (mirrors)

• Vendors

Posted 27 June 2022 - 04:13 PM

Wow! A new product opportunity for observing chair seat belts (or air bags). Maybe the government can get in on it with a required breathalyzer for binoviewers! lol.gif

What’s the lowest power one can use to see the double-double…double??

• ckwastro likes this

#30 StarBurger

StarBurger

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 27 June 2022 - 04:34 PM

It's not so much visual observing effected by alcohol for me being a mainly AP guy. 

Setting it all up is the problem.

Put the tripod up pointing somewhere near north and level. Have to concentrate to make sure the legshs are locked. And I mean MY legs!

Put the mount on the tripod before attempting to attach the OTA!

Put the CWs on after this. Don't forget the toe shaver or suffer.

Only then attempt to move the shetup but expect the unexpected for alignment. Remember the Spanish Inquisition.

Let's make sure you know the alignment stars offered for 4 star. I once did a successful alignment even mistooking  Caph for Schedar in Cass.

Muddle through connecting the auto guide, the camera , intervalometer (if I remembered to bring them down).

Remeber to remove the Barti mask after focush.

Set off a multi exposhure and sit back watching the LEDs flash pretty shades of red before shleep overcomes you.

Wake up as Dawn approaches. She's a nice girl but won't explain why all your lights are a crock of junk .yawn.gif

• ckwastro likes this

#31 ckwastro

ckwastro

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2022 - 10:16 PM

Wow! A new product opportunity for observing chair seat belts (or air bags). Maybe the government can get in on it with a required breathalyzer for binoviewers! lol.gif

Hey Mike! How are you doing? It has been too long, and hope you are doing well.

Double-double toil and trouble! Too much cask strength! Or would that be cauldron strength? lol.gif

Edited by ckwastro, 27 June 2022 - 10:19 PM.

#32 ckwastro

ckwastro

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2022 - 10:23 PM

Remember the Spanish Inquisition.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise... surprise and fear... fear and surprise... Our two weapons are fear and surprise... and ruthless efficiency.... Our three weapons are fear, and surprise, and ruthless efficiency...grin.gif

• MarMax likes this

#33 Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

Vendor (mirrors)

• Vendors

Posted 28 June 2022 - 09:45 AM

Hey Mike! How are you doing? It has been too long, and hope you are doing well.

Double-double toil and trouble! Too much cask strength! Or would that be cauldron strength? lol.gif

Hi Kerry,

Doing okay! Retired (think that means I didn’t get tired enough the 1st time tongue2.gif ). Been observing some but not enough energy for all nighters any more. Skies and eyes are worse - maybe we need a new forum: “Geriatric Observing - what did you almost see last night … and do you remember what it looked like?” lol.gif 

Maybe seeing double means I can pack twice as much observing in the same time frame. Ha!

Best,

Mike

• Jon Isaacs and nof like this

#34 MarMax

MarMax

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 28 June 2022 - 11:47 AM

Yes, a new forum for geriatric doubles and floaters. lol.gif

• ckwastro and Mike Spooner like this

#35 ckwastro

ckwastro

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 June 2022 - 09:14 PM

Hi Kerry,

Doing okay! Retired (think that means I didn’t get tired enough the 1st time tongue2.gif ). Been observing some but not enough energy for all nighters any more. Skies and eyes are worse - maybe we need a new forum: “Geriatric Observing - what did you almost see last night … and do you remember what it looked like?” lol.gif 

Maybe seeing double means I can pack twice as much observing in the same time frame. Ha!

Best,

Mike

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

I hear ya! I haven’t been out to a dark site in years and haven’t done an all nighter in close to a decade. Most observing I do now is from my severely light polluted back yard, meaning mainly lunar / planetary and bright showpiece DSOs. I still love it, but I do miss those astro golden years when all of us would go out for a few days at a time hunting the “farthest and faintest” objects we could find.

So I “almost” saw the Elephant Trunk (VdB 142). I remember it was a dark curved globule with a bright outer rim, but after a few drams it turned into the Pink Elephant grin.gif

Glad all is well for you Mike!

Edited by ckwastro, 29 June 2022 - 08:21 AM.

• Mike Spooner likes this

#36 72Nova

72Nova

Supernova

• -----
  • Loc: Coachella Valley, CA

Posted 28 June 2022 - 09:27 PM

This is another reason why I’m liking AP.  After I complete polar alignment, plate solve, start auto guiding and autofocus, I light up a good Nicaraguan cigar and a single malt.

I just need to do this in the correct order to avoid any issues :)

• ckwastro likes this

#37 luxo II

luxo II

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 28 June 2022 - 09:57 PM

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! ... Our three weapons are fear, and surprise, and ruthless efficiency...grin.gif

That would be my wife knocking on the door at 1am...

Edited by luxo II, 28 June 2022 - 09:58 PM.

• ckwastro and ABQJeff like this

#38 ckwastro

ckwastro

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2022 - 08:22 AM

funnypost.gif

#39 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 01 July 2022 - 08:38 AM

How about a: Crinklies, Wrinklies and Crumblies observing tips for each phase of aging?

Hi Kerry,

Best,

Mike

• ckwastro likes this

#40 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2022 - 09:38 AM

Mike, more likely they would want to "regulate" it, and then there is that tax thing they love doing too..

• ckwastro likes this

#41 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2022 - 09:40 AM

How about a: Crinklies, Wrinklies and Crumblies observing tips for each phase of aging?

Don't forget Curmudgeon too.

• ckwastro and Phil Cowell like this

#42 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 01 July 2022 - 11:14 PM

That can cover all age groups.

Don't forget Curmudgeon too.

#43 bluelick

bluelick

Vostok 1

• Loc: Berea, KY

Posted 03 July 2022 - 09:54 AM

Well, bourbon and binoviewing not mixing well is the worst news I've heard lately, but it might explain some of the issues I've had with merging images.

But since we are discussing things binary, I'm surprised none of you mentioned Woodford Double-Oaked! We take our bourbon pretty seriously here in Kentucky...

• ckwastro, Jeff B and Paul Morow like this

#44 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2022 - 10:23 AM

Well, bourbon and binoviewing not mixing well is the worst news I've heard lately, but it might explain some of the issues I've had with merging images.

But since we are discussing things binary, I'm surprised none of you mentioned Woodford Double-Oaked! We take our bourbon pretty seriously here in Kentucky...

Well, there are just so many good bourbons these days.....but WDO is indeed very good.

You know, to get really good statistical accuracy, you need to do about 30 samples.......nah, never mind.   crazyeyes.gif

• ckwastro likes this

#45 bluelick

bluelick

Vostok 1

• Loc: Berea, KY

Posted 04 July 2022 - 01:03 PM

Well, there are just so many good bourbons these days.....but WDO is indeed very good.

You know, to get really good statistical accuracy, you need to do about 30 samples.......nah, never mind.   crazyeyes.gif

I have a collection of bourbons, and I also have a collection of VERY small glasses!!

#46 KWB

KWB

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet

Posted 04 July 2022 - 03:25 PM

Drinking alcohol may be near the very top of things not to do when trying to view through a telescope. I don't know if there is a direct correlation between the effect alcohol consumption has one's night vision and non-alcohol viewing at higher altitudes that does affect one's night vision. If there is one, for me it defeats the purpose of observation. I'm a strictly a visual only observer so It's something I will never do.

I had a chance to ask the professor than ran the University of Denver's observatory atop Mt Evans, 14,148 feet in elevation, 35 miles southwest of the city. He said the first sense affected was eyesight due to the lower oxygen content because of the altitude. His staff at the observatory was on supplemental oxygen at least 30 minutes of every hour.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics