•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TS Optics 8" f/5 Newtonian Carbon tube, experiences?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 daveco2

daveco2

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Torrance, CA

Posted 19 June 2022 - 09:52 AM

Does anyone have this scope? 

https://www.teleskop...in-Germany.html

If so, can you offer any comments on your experience for AP?  

I'm interested in the rack and pinion focuser and operation without any reducer or corrector.

Thanks for any comments

#2 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 19 June 2022 - 10:24 AM

Is it a vintage classic?

#3 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 19 June 2022 - 10:50 AM

Maybe the Mods will put this posting in a different Forum? Does not belong here.

#4 Helvetios

Helvetios

Vostok 1

Posted 19 June 2022 - 10:55 AM

I have this scope and it is excellent, both optically and mechanically.  I use it mainly for astrophotography and selected this scope with the carbon fiber tube as a primary factor to reduce weight and maintain focus over a wide range of temperature.  Someday, when I remove the primary for cleaning, I will flock the inside of the tube to blacken it better than paint and add the black mirror ring TS Optics sells to cover the mirror hold-down fixtures to clean up the point response a bit.  I did buy long nylon thumb screws for the secondary to make adjusting easier, but this scope holds collimation well unless you take it on a trip with bumpy roads (probably true of most Newtonians).  Overall, it it is really a fantastic scope to start with and a good value.

• daveco2 likes this

#5 daveco2

daveco2

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Torrance, CA

Posted 19 June 2022 - 01:06 PM

I have this scope and it is excellent, both optically and mechanically.  I use it mainly for astrophotography and selected this scope with the carbon fiber tube as a primary factor to reduce weight and maintain focus over a wide range of temperature.  Someday, when I remove the primary for cleaning, I will flock the inside of the tube to blacken it better than paint and add the black mirror ring TS Optics sells to cover the mirror hold-down fixtures to clean up the point response a bit.  I did buy long nylon thumb screws for the secondary to make adjusting easier, but this scope holds collimation well unless you take it on a trip with bumpy roads (probably true of most Newtonians).  Overall, it it is really a fantastic scope to start with and a good value.

Thanks for the input.  Much appreciated.

What mount do you use it with?

Do you have the rack and pinion focuser?

Any reducers or correctors?

What camera type, maybe aps-c size, and how much vignetting?

Edited by daveco2, 19 June 2022 - 01:07 PM.

#6 Helvetios

Helvetios

Vostok 1

Posted 20 June 2022 - 06:06 AM

Thanks for the input.  Much appreciated.

What mount do you use it with?

Do you have the rack and pinion focuser?

Any reducers or correctors?

What camera type, maybe aps-c size, and how much vignetting?

I use an iOptron CEM70.  I typically use a ZWO ASI2600MC and get 0.5 arcsec rms guiding and sometimes as low as 0.3 arcsec when the seeing is good.  This setup is resistant to wind up to about 10 mph.  So, it's pretty heavy, but well worth it for the stability.  Long OTA's need this.

Mine came with the so-called "TS 2" UNC V-Power Newton Crayford Focuser - short". It works well, but I have added a ZWO EAF.  The performance with autofocus does make an improvement over long sessions with large temperature changes.

I currently use the TS Optics 2” Maxfield 3-element coma corrector 0.95x.  This is really excellent and highly recommended.

With this camera, I do see typical vignetting which I always correct with flats.  Getting good flats with a Newtonian can be a challenge, but that's another topic.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics