•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Gelatin or 52mm drop-in filters for Canon telephoto lenses

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cameron12x

cameron12x

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 21 June 2022 - 11:36 AM

I want to do some wide-field imaging with the Canon 200mm f/2L lens and the Canon 400mm f/4 DO II lens.

Does anyone here shoot with Canon telephoto lenses similar to these that have the 52mm drop-in filter holder?

If so, can you use the the 52mm IDAS Nebula Booster Filter in this holder?  If not, what are the alternatives?

If the 52mm drop-in filter holder is not the solution, what about the gelatin filter holder approach?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: MD

Posted 21 June 2022 - 06:07 PM

I haven't tried it, but It should be fine in the 52mm drop-in filter holder.  The IDAS filter mounting looks similar to normal color filters.

The gelatin filter holder expects a very thin gel filter.  Less likely to work I think.

#3 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 21 June 2022 - 07:43 PM

I use an EOS to EOS-M adapter that has been modified to fit 2" filters and have not had an issue with a pretty long line of EOS lenses.

Clear Skies !!

#4 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 21 June 2022 - 07:45 PM

I want to do some wide-field imaging with the Canon 200mm f/2L lens and the Canon 400mm f/4 DO II lens.

Does anyone here shoot with Canon telephoto lenses similar to these that have the 52mm drop-in filter holder?

If so, can you use the the 52mm IDAS Nebula Booster Filter in this holder?  If not, what are the alternatives?

If the 52mm drop-in filter holder is not the solution, what about the gelatin filter holder approach?

Thanks in advance!

I could not get decent stars with the DO lens.  YMMV.

Clear Skies !!

#5 CreatorsHand

CreatorsHand

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Marquette, Michigan

Posted 21 June 2022 - 10:35 PM

I use a Canon 500mm f/4 (with a modded 5DII) as one of my main optics, and use an IDAS NBZ dual narrowband filter in it, and it works well, so the Nebula Booster should also. Before I got the NBZ, I also worked out a way to adapt 48mm (2") filters to fit the 52mm drop-in filter holder in my 500f4, but it is a challenge to do it successfully and not all step-down rings have threads all the way through on the inside, which is required (it involves carefully cutting off the threads from a 52-48mm step-down ring and threading it onto the filter before putting it in the filter holder). That is another option for filters that don't come in 52mm; fortunately at least some of the IDAS filters do. I found that Sensei 52-48mm step-down rings have the proper thread, so I use those, in case you wanted to try.

#6 T~Stew

T~Stew

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Ohio

Posted 26 June 2022 - 08:12 AM

Like CreatorsHand I use a Canon 500mm F4 IS with 52mm drop in holder. Though the NBZ is available in 52mm, I went with the standard 48mm size and carefully cut down a 52mm-48mm adapter ring to fit (barely), since I also had a Canon 300mm f2.8 that had 48mm drop-in holder as well as wanting to be compatible with telescopes in the future (I've since used the same NBZ on my AT130EDT). 

The NBZ works excellent, and no halos around bright stars like some other filters, and works well with faster lenses also.

I've never heard of any gel filters useful for astrophotography, but I have also not researched it.

I've not used your lenses so YMMV. 

kA6Atw7h.jpg

Example of NBZ with my 300/2.8 on the Jellyfish Nebula https://www.astrobin.com/r6twtn/

500/4 on the Rosette https://www.astrobin.com/zwq1eg/B/

Edited by T~Stew, 26 June 2022 - 08:14 AM.

• CreatorsHand likes this

#7 cameron12x

cameron12x

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2022 - 03:33 PM

Many thanks for sharing all of this information!

It looks like I need to purchase the drop-in filter holder and the NBZ filter.  Do I have to go the 48mm route vs. 52mm?

#8 T~Stew

T~Stew

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Ohio

Posted 28 June 2022 - 12:17 AM

Many thanks for sharing all of this information!

It looks like I need to purchase the drop-in filter holder and the NBZ filter.  Do I have to go the 48mm route vs. 52mm?

No, you don't have to, beauty of the IDAS NBZ is its available in 52 while many are not! And it will be very difficult to fabricate a 48mm adapter but it can be done. 52mm fits the newer drop in filters.

As I said, I only went with the 48mm because my Canon 300mm f2.8 was a 48mm drop in (old lens from 90's), and most telescopes use 48mm. If you upgrade to a telescope later, you could always sell your 52mm though the demand isn't that high I'd imagine. Perhaps some telescopes would accept a 52-48 adapter, not really sure on that.

Edited by T~Stew, 28 June 2022 - 12:18 AM.

• CreatorsHand likes this

#9 cameron12x

cameron12x

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:39 PM

Like CreatorsHand I use a Canon 500mm F4 IS with 52mm drop in holder. Though the NBZ is available in 52mm, I went with the standard 48mm size and carefully cut down a 52mm-48mm adapter ring to fit (barely), since I also had a Canon 300mm f2.8 that had 48mm drop-in holder as well as wanting to be compatible with telescopes in the future (I've since used the same NBZ on my AT130EDT). 

The NBZ works excellent, and no halos around bright stars like some other filters, and works well with faster lenses also.

I've never heard of any gel filters useful for astrophotography, but I have also not researched it.

I've not used your lenses so YMMV. 

kA6Atw7h.jpg

Example of NBZ with my 300/2.8 on the Jellyfish Nebula https://www.astrobin.com/r6twtn/

500/4 on the Rosette https://www.astrobin.com/zwq1eg/B/

How did you cut down a 52mm-48mm adapter ring to fit?

#10 CreatorsHand

CreatorsHand

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Marquette, Michigan

Posted 03 July 2022 - 04:03 AM

How did you cut down a 52mm-48mm adapter ring to fit?

In my response above I explained how I did it for my 500mm f/4 to allow a 48mm l-eNhance filter to fit before I bought my 52mm NBZ:

"Before I got the NBZ, I also worked out a way to adapt 48mm (2") filters to fit the 52mm drop-in filter holder in my 500f4, but it is a challenge to do it successfully and not all step-down rings have threads all the way through on the inside, which is required (it involves carefully cutting off the threads from a 52-48mm step-down ring and threading it onto the filter before putting it in the filter holder). That is another option for filters that don't come in 52mm; fortunately at least some of the IDAS filters do. I found that Sensei 52-48mm step-down rings have the proper thread, so I use those, in case you wanted to try."

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics