•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Polarex Model 114 - tripod strip

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 moladso

moladso

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 21 June 2022 - 03:00 PM

Hi all,

I recently got a Polarex Model 114 (60/900) in good condition, but tripod was incomplete. 

It does not have the three strips that avoid tripod legs to open and colapse.

Looking at photos of other Model 114 owners, I can imagine what that tripod leg joint strap is like, but it would help me if someone would be so kind as to publish a detailed photo and even better if someone offered me the strap measurements.

Thanks in advance

Jaime

image001.jpeg

#2 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 21 June 2022 - 03:37 PM

Technically there were three different styles of straps

Here's a link to the earliest type. It would be the easiest to make.

https://www.cloudyni...114/?p=10550078

But looking at your scope it most likely had one of the latter types.

Both of them are shown here:

https://www.cloudyni...114/?p=10550201

The style on the right also use the center support staps and not a chain.

I pretty certain those types always had the type of center straps that included a small eyepiece tray

Edited by Kasmos, 21 June 2022 - 03:39 PM.

• moladso likes this

#3 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 21 June 2022 - 04:00 PM

I have the type on the right in this link. Mine is the 50mm model 105 so I don't know if the bracket would be the same size as the model 114. I could measure the dimensions of mine if it the same bracket.

• moladso likes this

#4 moladso

moladso

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2022 - 04:37 PM

Thanks all!

This is a detail of my tripod strap hook, clearly latter type:

Img_6610_SML.jpg

Technically there were three different styles of straps

Here's a link to the earliest type. It would be the easiest to make.

https://www.cloudyni...114/?p=10550078

But looking at your scope it most likely had one of the latter types.

Both of them are shown here:

https://www.cloudyni...114/?p=10550201

The style on the right also use the center support staps and not a chain.

I pretty certain those types always had the type of center straps that included a small eyepiece tray

From the pictures it seems I can use the straps with the center eyepiece tray. If I got the dimensions I would be able to make a replica on my own. It's not difficult to calculate the straps dimensions, but I would like to make a replica as accurate to the original as possible.

I even found a 114 model using tripod straps without the center eyepiece tray, but I'm unsure it's original or hand made.

https://www.unitronh...l-114/dscn2755/

https://www.unitronh...l-114/dscn2739/

I have the type on the right in this link. Mine is the 50mm model 105 so I don't know if the bracket would be the same size as the model 114. I could measure the dimensions of mine if it the same bracket.

I'm not a Polarex/Unitron expert and don't know if tripod is the same.

#5 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:10 PM

The plate is 5/64" thick. All numbers in inches. The thickness should define a common gauge thickness.

The bolt holes are even thirds across the strip. The numbers ad up to an extra 1/16" from rounding. 

The length of the top section is to the middle of the rounding at the bend. You will have to guestimate how bending affects things. 

The distance from the back of the top section to the front of the punched out T hole is 7/16".

I used the SAE setting on my calipers, not the 0.0005" reading. No one will know or measure a difference if you go SAE.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-38427-0-19453600-1655932705.jpg

Edited by apfever, 22 June 2022 - 07:16 PM.

#6 moladso

moladso

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 03:37 AM

Sorry, I'm afraid I've led you astray. Thanks for your efford.

The picture I attached on my previous post correspond to the tripod leg I aready have on my 114.

What I'm looking for are the dimensions of the straps and eyepiece tray, because they are missing on my 114.

I take this picture from Internet to clarify:

Model114_tripod_straps.png

The plate is 5/64" thick. All numbers in inches. The thickness should define a common gauge thickness.

The bolt holes are even thirds across the strip. The numbers ad up to an extra 1/16" from rounding. 

The length of the top section is to the middle of the rounding at the bend. You will have to guestimate how bending affects things. 

The distance from the back of the top section to the front of the punched out T hole is 7/16".

I used the SAE setting on my calipers, not the 0.0005" reading. No one will know or measure a difference if you go SAE.

Edited by moladso, 23 June 2022 - 03:57 AM.

#7 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 June 2022 - 08:22 PM

I think people see things like the two previous entries and think Ouch! Then they stay away. 

No ouch.

This is where things were before I missinterprited the request - my fault. I still haven't put the foot back. It's not in the way. I also have tapes, calipers, and other measure stuff by the comp most of the time. Entry #5 took 2 or 3 minutes, very few minutes at the most. I copied the OP's picture, and just spun back and forth for a few entries in Paint.  I keep my chair in good shape and will even confess to maybe an office helicopter move...or two...during the operation.  smile.gif

Both of the Uni here have chains, no straps. I don't have any straps or tray to measure. If someone does and could post, that would be great. 

Attached Thumbnails

• asdfjl.JPG

#8 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 June 2022 - 03:33 AM

I believe someone once shared a link to a reproduction of the straps with a tray on another site and it had several computer drawings with dimensions. I had it bookmarked but lost the link when my cumputer died. Perhaps someone knows of it and will give the link.

My 114 only has spreader straps without a center tray. Perhaps tomorrow I can find some time to dig it out for a measure.

In the meantime here's two different styles of trays.

Unitron EP spreader.jpeg

Unitron Spreader Tray copy.jpg

IIRC, the circular ones were the last style of them and from 1980 to the end.

• moladso and Terra Nova like this

#9 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 June 2022 - 04:48 AM

On a hunch I went to one of the old sites that has telescope catalogs and tried one of its links to other sites. I found a page that looked familar and then the one with thumb nail photos of the spreader drawings, but the other sizes wouldn't load. I tried a simple workaround and a page with working photos loaded!

https://pbase.com/sm...e_junkie&page=7

• moladso and walter a like this

#10 moladso

moladso

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:53 PM

On a hunch I went to one of the old sites that has telescope catalogs and tried one of its links to other sites. I found a page that looked familar and then the one with thumb nail photos of the spreader drawings, but the other sizes wouldn't load. I tried a simple workaround and a page with working photos loaded!

https://pbase.com/sm...e_junkie&page=7

Great! Thanks all!

Please find below the images, just to avoid lost of the images shared in Pbase:

80952633.6a0V6dWv.1.jpg

80952634.HEZ5ELnY.2.jpg

80952635.idfxuaRr.3.jpg

• TSSClay likes this

#11 moladso

moladso

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:55 PM

More pics...

80952636.2NCWKrXj.4.jpg

80952637.Re84pcY8.Brace.jpg

80994130.lC7PjmK7.5.jpg

• Terra Nova, TSSClay and mikerepp like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics