•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Zeiss Scope ID

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dblstar

dblstar

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2022 - 04:23 PM

I have a chance to acquire this vintage Zeiss OTA but unfortunately, all I have to offer for your consideration is this one photo. (It's 300 miles away). Would anyone like to weigh in on it? All I know is that it is red and bigger than a 60mm from the picture wink.gif

Thanks for anything you can tell me.

Don

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 4.12.37 PM.jpeg

Edited by dblstar, 21 June 2022 - 04:24 PM.

• deSitter and steve t like this

#2 dblstar

dblstar

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2022 - 05:23 PM

...also, it doesn't appear to have a visual back. Is it possible to find a replacement for it if not found?

Don

#3 kjkociba

kjkociba

Explorer 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 21 June 2022 - 07:01 PM

Can only give my 2cents… Looks like a nice project! Although new to zeiss myself, seems that a lot, if not most, info will be gleaned from the serial and the objective cell. Hopefully the glass is in good shape. I’m sure that once it’s determined exactly what it is, a visual back can be machined by a competent machinist. Along with a locking not that seems to be missing on top of the focus tube. Might get lucky and find a spare, or maybe some dimensions of an original to go by!

#4 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Apollo

Posted 21 June 2022 - 07:15 PM

I have a chance to acquire this vintage Zeiss OTA but unfortunately, all I have to offer for your consideration is this one photo. (It's 300 miles away). Would anyone like to weigh in on it? All I know is that it is red and bigger than a 60mm from the picture wink.gif

Thanks for anything you can tell me.

Don

That sale has a lot of Zeiss gear. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a matching VB. If it were within a couple of hours of me, I’d take all the cash I could afford to spend and get there before opening on the first day. Then I’d look at all the pretty Zeiss scopes and almost certainly not have enough to buy anything. It would be cool just to see them.

#5 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:00 AM

99% sure it's a 80/1200mm. Looks like an easy restoration, but can't tell anything about the objective from this angle, of course. 

The accessory thread is M44x0.9 Löwenhertz. The modern M44x1 Zeiss accessories do thread on, but only for a revolution or two, at most. Any competent machinist can make a replacement, however. I would suggest having a M44x0.9/T2 adapter made, and then use Baader T2 accessories on it, since they have much the same feeling of compactness and heft the original ones did. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• steve t, GreyDay and Ben Bajorek like this

#6 oceanoprofondo7

oceanoprofondo7

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 04:12 PM

I’m interested

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics