•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Brandon Baby Blue 94mm

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: pa 19320

Posted 21 June 2022 - 07:38 PM

Hi Folks Ive always been intrigued in a Brandon 94mm, well there is one for sale near me on Craigslist. I have no idea what a fair price for these scopes are including the accessories listed, so I would like your thoughts on this before I send the seller a message. Especially how good are these 94mm Brandons. I assume this is an original Brandon Mount? Thx Bob. See this https://philadelphia...7491002459.html

• Joe Bergeron, Jae, Traveler and 3 others like this

#2 siriusandthepup

siriusandthepup

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 21 June 2022 - 08:04 PM

A thing of beauty!

I've never owned one, but have heard only good comments about them over the years.

Not sure about the mount. Resembles Unitron. Pretty.

I'd say his pricing is in line with what would be asked here on CN. So you should be able to get it a little cheaper.

Get it - play with it - keep it or resell it here.

Good clean fun!! waytogo.gif

The included eyepieces add up to a good deal too. smile.gif

Edited by siriusandthepup, 21 June 2022 - 08:08 PM.

• bob midiri likes this

#3 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 21 June 2022 - 08:07 PM

The price is fair, the quality excellent, a touch of CA…jump!!
  • bob midiri and Terra Nova like this

#4 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 21 June 2022 - 08:32 PM

The price is fair, the quality excellent, a touch of CA…jump!!

I agree. It includes the big Nihon Seiko alt-az mount, the matching finder scope, and lots of accessories and all in great condition. I always loved those scopes.

• bob midiri and bobhen like this

#5 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Apollo

Posted 21 June 2022 - 08:35 PM

Mine has excellent optics. I tried a Moonlite CFL on it and then stumbled into a 2” Feather Touch. That looks great and makes it much nicer to use.

The mount and at least some of the accessories were available from Vernonscope along with the scope itself. The mount, tube assembly, and 32mm wide angle were Unitron/Nihon Seiko products. At $3000 it was definitely too high but If everything is in good shape, $2100 sounds very reasonable. More than reasonable if the 12 and 24mm eyepieces are Brandons.

#6 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2022 - 08:40 PM

Mine has excellent optics. I tried a Moonlite CFL on it and then stumbled into a 2” Feather Touch. That looks great and makes it much nicer to use.

The mount and at least some of the accessories were available from Vernonscope along with the scope itself. The mount, tube assembly, and 32mm wide angle were Unitron/Nihon Seiko products. At $3000 it was definitely too high but If everything is in good shape, $2100 sounds very reasonable. More than reasonable if the 12 and 24mm eyepieces are Brandons.

I asked him to send me some closeups of the eyepieces and the objective lens. I have to assume they are Brandon, looks like he purchased the whole package, 2" diag, 2" Amici prism, 2" barlow...etc. I been following it since it was $3000 too

#7 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 21 June 2022 - 09:01 PM

Fair price. Or course he's wrong, much of that stuff is Japanese, including the mount and the tube fittings.

#8 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 21 June 2022 - 09:05 PM

Better hurry, Bob. At that price, with those options it will go fast. Here is my video on that scope:

https://youtu.be/ryzNQDwQnOs

The video calls it a 92mm but it is the same scope. The first year they were mislabeled as 92mm.

• bob midiri likes this

#9 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2022 - 09:09 PM

Fair price. Or course he's wrong, much of that stuff is Japanese, including the mount and the tube fittings.

Joe is that the mount and focuser you allude too in your review?

#10 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Viking 1

Posted 21 June 2022 - 10:19 PM

The mount advertised appears to be exactly correct for the scope. Most of the scope and mount are Nihon Seiko (Unitron). The objective is Roland Christen. 

The mount is much like the smaller one in my video about Unitron Altaz Mounts here:

https://youtu.be/ETlMv-KLEVM?t=306

• bob midiri likes this

#11 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2022 - 10:25 PM

Thank you very much for your timely info Dave. Im waiting to hear back from seller as I asked if he could send pictures  of the objective  lens and eyepieces. I assume this is an altaz mount?

Edited by bob midiri, 21 June 2022 - 10:26 PM.

#12 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Viking 1

Posted 21 June 2022 - 11:38 PM

Yes, and it is a good one. This will probably be the best $2100 you ever spent.

- Dave

Edited by Dave Trott, 21 June 2022 - 11:39 PM.

• bob midiri likes this

#13 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 22 June 2022 - 06:30 AM

The most complete accessory kit I’ve seen paired with the scope and literature to boot…probably a collector scope…it will go fast at that price, move or Someone will! 😉

Edited by t.r., 22 June 2022 - 06:31 AM.

• bob midiri likes this

#14 RichA

RichA

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 22 June 2022 - 08:24 AM

Hi Folks Ive always been intrigued in a Brandon 94mm, well there is one for sale near me on Craigslist. I have no idea what a fair price for these scopes are including the accessories listed, so I would like your thoughts on this before I send the seller a message. Especially how good are these 94mm Brandons. I assume this is an original Brandon Mount? Thx Bob. See this https://philadelphia...7491002459.html

That's it and it's a good price, considering.  I've had three, all excellent. 

• bob midiri likes this

#15 Jae

Jae

Apollo

• Loc: New England

Posted 22 June 2022 - 09:06 AM

I looked at the focuser closely and I see traces of rust so I'm not sure how mint the telescope will be.   I also heard of these scopes being repainted as the paint can be fragile.  I hardly touched mine and a small piece of paint flaked off.

So it depends on how mint you like your telescopes, but with all the extras, it's a good price.

Edited by Jae, 22 June 2022 - 11:25 AM.

• bob midiri likes this

#16 Ian King

Ian King

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 23 June 2022 - 06:29 AM

This thread reminds me of when In 1990 I ordered a brand new Brandon 94 from Don Yeir at Vernonscope. It was the one with the non collimateable lens cell.

As I was flying to La on holiday, Don shipped it to my hotel. I was so relieved when I checked in and there behind the check in desk was a big box with my name on it.

Up to then I had been using a Vixen 102 achromat. 

The next day I drove out to Flagstaff and used the Brandon for the first time projecting the sun. I was astonished at the sharpness of the solar image. Later on I used it at night for the first time and was blown away. It seemed so much better than the Vixen. At that point I had not taken into consideration how fabulous the northern Arizona skies are.

Once I got home and the Brandon had to contend with the average observing conditions that are typical of my location there was nothing to choose between the Brandon and the Vixen apart from better colour correction.

Although the Brandon 94 is a lot better colour corrected than an equivelent Achromat it does still exhibit a faint blue halo around bright targets like Jupiter and when I used it for deep sky imaging the RGB images were typified by slightly bloated blue stars. I would consider it a semi APO.

The scope is still around, now in the hands of one my friends.

• deSitter and Terra Nova like this

#17 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 11:46 AM

Didnt sky and telescope do a comparison review between the C102F/TeleVue Genesis? and the Brandon 94mm!? Anyone remember the month and year? thx Bob

• Traveler likes this

#18 SteveG

SteveG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 23 June 2022 - 02:42 PM

Didnt sky and telescope do a comparison review between the C102F/TeleVue Genesis? and the Brandon 94mm!? Anyone remember the month and year? thx Bob

Yes, I remember that. There were 4 scopes, and the 94 came in last, if I recall correctly.

#19 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 02:46 PM

Yes, I remember that. There were 4 scopes, and the 94 came in last, if I recall correctly.

Yeah I think you are right Steve, II know the C102F came in first...heck I have that scope, Im leaning on passing on this Brandon...its just not making too much sense for me to get at this point. 

• deSitter likes this

#20 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 23 June 2022 - 02:52 PM

It was in Astronomy magazine as I recall it.  C102F and Astro-physics with “A” rating, Genesis and Brandon with “A-“ rating.

A reference is made here:

https://www.cloudyni...-refractor-r815

• Traveler likes this

#21 Ian King

Ian King

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 23 June 2022 - 03:22 PM

No the Genesis came last, the 94 came a creditable third and was very competitvely priced.

#22 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 06:42 PM

Ive decided not to purchase this fine Brandon telescope kit. I emailed the lady and told her. I also mentioned that her Husbands Brandon was discussed on an astronomy site called Cloudy Nights and someone from this site might be interested. Ill gladly help her, as she really is just selling as it was her deceased husbands, and doesnt know much about it. She was so excited when I told her about Cloudy Nights and her telescope was being discussed

• deSitter, Jae, gk5481 and 3 others like this

#23 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 23 June 2022 - 06:54 PM

Joe is that the mount and focuser you allude too in your review?

No, my scope had a equatorial Unitron mount, this one is altazimuth. Still made by the Unitron supplier. Same focuser though. 

#24 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 24 June 2022 - 10:10 AM

If I didn’t have a new Stowaway, I’d be on a road trip!
  • Dave Trott likes this

#25 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 24 June 2022 - 12:19 PM

No the Genesis came last, the 94 came a creditable third and was very competitvely priced.

Yes, the Genesis SDF came out and became more competitive.  I sold the SDF as it was relatively bulky and got my first Brandon 94LW.   After a bit of work, as my sample needed some additional blackening inside, it performed extremely well.  I added a teflon disc from an old Mitchell fishing spool to the focuser pinion and it made it very smooth.

I currently own a couple of Brandons that I've not taken out under the night sky yet but it's because the current TMB 92L I have would be more competitive (or the AP Stowaways, AT92, etc.).   If it's pure performance for the $, the AT92 would get the nod but from nostalgia or classic perspective, it's hard to beat the beauty of these Brandons with Unitron parts.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics