•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Waning Gibbous Moon with a Celestron NexStar 102GT

Astrophotography Celestron CMOS Imaging Moon Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 22 June 2022 - 04:26 AM

Taken on the morning of June 20, 2022 using a Celestron NexStar 102GT and a ZWO ASI178MM camera. This is a three panel mosaic that was stitched using Microsoft's Image Composite Editor (ICE).

I used a stacked set of Baader 610nm Long Pass and Contrast Booster filters to produce a bandpass between approximately 610nm and 690nm (to help with this scope's chromatic aberration). Image capture with SharpCap Pro, image processing using Autostakkert! (best 1000 of 3000 frames), Registax (wavelet sharpening), ICE (mosaic), and Photoshop 2022 (tweaks and photo frame).

Here is a link to a larger version of this image in my CN Gallery:

https://www.cloudyni...t-medium/large/

Comments and criticisms (C&C) welcomed and thanks for looking.

Attached Thumbnails

• Waning Gibbous Moon with Celestron NexStar 102GT (small).jpg

• Kenny V., Lewis Cason, Mikeiss and 11 others like this

#2 CeeKay

CeeKay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted 22 June 2022 - 06:14 AM

Beautiful picture...

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:24 PM

Beautiful picture...

Thanks.

Yes, not bad for a $60 (new) optical tube. However, each of the Baader 2" filters cost more than the scope itself.

Below is a crop from this same image showing the southern highlands and both Tycho and Clavius. This is at the original image capture scale and it suffers somewhat from what I'd call "extinction resolution" (too large of an image scale given the available detail, note how there are no really small craters).

Attached Thumbnails

• Southern Highlands (large).jpg

Edited by james7ca, 22 June 2022 - 07:27 PM.

• Kenny V., Mikeiss, CeeKay and 4 others like this

#4 Look at the sky 101

Look at the sky 101

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Citizen of the earth .

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:33 PM

Love the tone. 

#5 Mikeiss

Mikeiss

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tucson

Posted 27 June 2022 - 02:09 AM

I like this image a lot. It shows that with some know how and (sigh) money you can get nice images from a telescope that would normally under perform.

#6 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2022 - 02:36 AM

Johann and Mike, thanks for the notice.

As for the cost of the filters, you could do just as well with the less expensive 1.25" versions. That said, I can't be sure that the Contrast Booster really made any difference but this turned out fairly well so at least it didn't hurt. One of the reasons for this effort is that I'm trying to decide whether I should get a long focus, 80mm ED scope for full disk imaging of the moon and sun. It would be vastly more expensive than this Celestron but it would be a lot easier to use since it should have really good chromatic correction. Plus, no need for a photo composition to cover the full moon or sun.

It would also be a nice scope for full-color, one-shot images of double stars, which is something the Celestron can't do.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Celestron, CMOS, Imaging, Moon, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics