•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Processing using Siril and Photoshop of a fairly recently discovered object

DSO Astrophotography Imaging Software
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Martin Schoenmaker

Martin Schoenmaker

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 22 June 2022 - 03:13 PM

I have been working on a Hubble Palette image of the Crescent nebula. I was however after an object which lies very close to this nebula, but was only discovered in 2008. Fairly recently in my book.

I was very stoked to see it already in the Hydrogen-alpha data after stacking. But I knew from other images that this object should shine blue, so I had my hopes on [OIII].

Using my William Optics GT81 telescope, the Flat6A III 0.8x reducer, the ASI2600MM Pro camera (mono) and a filterwheel with S, H and O filters I got to this result.

Crescent SHO Final CN.jpg

In order to show how I reached this result I screenrecorded the processing. With all the explanatory talking it turned out to be pretty long. So I decided to split it in two parts and share it on YouTube.

I am certain that I did things in ways that could be improved. Please feel free to post your feedback. 

By the way, yes I know I should have shot darks... ;-)

Part 1: Using Siril to stack everything.

https://www.youtube....h?v=lihYh83bfJY

Part 2: Using Starnet++ to remove the stars and Photoshop to put everything together (and re-add the stars).

https://www.youtube....h?v=BBy7VDx6xjw

• mikewayne3, Ljubo, bobzeq25 and 9 others like this

#2 Martin Schoenmaker

Martin Schoenmaker

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2022 - 03:14 PM

I should've added that it was about the Soap Bubble nebula, which is to the left of the Crescent. See this crop:
Crescent SHO Final cropped CN.jpg

• Ljubo, unitron_man, Skysmacker and 3 others like this

#3 Skysmacker

Skysmacker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bay Area CA

Posted 22 June 2022 - 03:32 PM

Fantastic work! That is amazing!

I am about to begin my foray into narrowband. I also use SiriL so I really appreciate the videos in this post!

Thanks for sharing!

• Martin Schoenmaker likes this

#4 SimRacingGarage

SimRacingGarage

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 22 June 2022 - 05:34 PM

Awesome videos! I have saved them in my YouTube Astrophotography play list. Just getting started, so this helps a lot.

#5 Martin Schoenmaker

Martin Schoenmaker

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 03:54 AM

Two things I would like to improve in my image are the noise levels and the stars.

I think the first needs to be solved by adding more data. But also I was reminded that by adding proper darks to the processing I would be able to lessen the noise.

The stars I'd like to fix by also shooting some RGB data on this object. I can then extract the RGB stars and paste them into this narrowband data.

#6 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 23 June 2022 - 01:06 PM

Two things I would like to improve in my image are the noise levels and the stars.

I think the first needs to be solved by adding more data. But also I was reminded that by adding proper darks to the processing I would be able to lessen the noise.

The stars I'd like to fix by also shooting some RGB data on this object. I can then extract the RGB stars and paste them into this narrowband data.

Darks are a waste of time with that sensor if you dither, since it doesn't have any amp glow. Others will surely disagree on this, but I am not the only one using a 5xx sensor that stopped using darks for this reason.

#7 Martin Schoenmaker

Martin Schoenmaker

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2022 - 02:48 PM

Darks are a waste of time with that sensor if you dither, since it doesn't have any amp glow. Others will surely disagree on this, but I am not the only one using a 5xx sensor that stopped using darks for this reason.

That was my firm believe as well. I am using dithering (of course). Anyway, this was shot in astro-twilight mostly (no astro-dark for some time over here) and not that many subs. I contribute the noise mostly to that.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DSO, Astrophotography, Imaging, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics