•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Outer Planets, 22 June

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 23 June 2022 - 09:13 AM

Well, the bright ones, anyway. Mike posted his shots of the Inners, so I thought I'd use the term for Mars, Jupiter and Saturn.

It's been almost almost ten months since my last planetary session and the rust was felt. The scope (Obsession 15) has been disassembled and moved several times since then and I'm not 100% sure I was well collimated. It also sat in a hot garage all day and I only woke up early enough to get it outside an hour before shooting (many fans were employed). Also, during my last observing session, in December, I thought I detected a hint of astigmatism but haven't had the chance to try to run it down.

All of which is to say, the seeing wasn't spectacular but I'm not sure I wasn't limited in other ways. There were a few times where the planet would entirely smudge out from seeing and other times when it seemed really steady. Quite a rollercoaster early morning. But it was nice to see the lineup and try to remember how to do this.

I used a 2x Barlow and ZWO ADC along with the ASI 462MC. As it happened, all of the Jupiter IR images fuzzed out from seeing, while the Visible images were much better. A trick of timing. I got Mars and the moon (posted in the next two comments (Edit to add: A moderator deleted my lunar images. Evidently forums have changed and I didn't notice.)) using an IR 850nm pass filter. Saturn and Jupiter are derotations of 3 stacks. Still working on color with the 462, which I only bought at the end of the last Jupiter/Saturn season. 

In order of appearance:

Attached Thumbnails

• R_WJ_AS_PS_2022-06-22-0825_9-RGB-Sat_lapl4_ap162.png
  • R_WJ_AS_PS_2022-06-22-0911_0-RGB-Jup_lapl4_ap117.png
  • rps_2022-06-22-0950_3-IR-Mars_lapl4_ap15.png

Edited by bunyon, 23 June 2022 - 09:33 AM.

• Sunspot, Jeffrey C., Mike Phillips and 14 others like this

#2 Foc

Foc

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 24 June 2022 - 01:28 AM

Well done!  Like the IR Mars in particular.

#3 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 24 June 2022 - 02:26 PM

A very nice start to the season for you.
Cheers Paul

#4 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Aurora

• Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 24 June 2022 - 04:43 PM

Good start to the season

#5 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 26 June 2022 - 08:11 PM

Thanks all

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics