•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What Camera will be best for my needs?

EAA
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 Ljubo

Ljubo

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 June 2022 - 03:31 PM

So what are the advantages of choosing to go with the ASI533 over the ASI294?

Read more on the subject "amp glow".

If you want what you want, live stacking is adding amp glow. Not the case with ASI533.

• PFJs Customs likes this

#27 PFJs Customs

PFJs Customs

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Ljubo, I will take a look at this issue with the ASi294 camera before moving forward with any final decision. 

#28 PFJs Customs

PFJs Customs

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 03:40 PM

Seems that the ASI533 camera has improved to address such an issue with other cameras according to their website:

Zero Amp Glow

Traditional CMOS sensors produce a weak infrared light source during operation quite often seen in the corner of uncalibrated images as the tell tale signs of ‘amp glow’. As the ASI533MC PRO uses zero amp glow circuitry, you won’t have to worry about amp glow even when using high gain, long exposure imaging.

https://astronomy-im...533mc-pro-color

#29 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:03 PM

Amp glow is pretty much eliminated with dark calibration frames. Most of us take darks and it's not difficult. The 294 is a bit harder to use. It's much more sensitive to vignetting and requires careful flat calibration frames. It has the advantage of being able to use different binning so that it can take advantage of better seeing. Both are great cameras, but the 533 is just a little easier to use.

If you want even easier to use, you might consider the monochrome version of the 533 (533MM-Pro).

#30 PFJs Customs

PFJs Customs

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for the additional input BrentKnight! I'm starting to see the additional feature that the ASI533 provides adding to the ease of use.

The only reason why I would not consider the ASI533 MM would be because I prefer to get color in these images! To me this is what provides me with the WOAH!!! factor when looking at some of these objects. thewave.gif

Edited by PFJs Customs, 23 June 2022 - 04:17 PM.

• BrentKnight likes this

#31 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Aurora

• Moderators

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:24 PM

I was exactly in your same situation. Color is definitely nice, but the B/W experience captures that visual look very well. Generally mono is quicker to pull in a good capture too because of the way pixels are utilized (look into the Bayer matrix).

Honestly, most of us would benefit from one of each, but I've rarely used my color camera since I got my mono.

#32 PFJs Customs

PFJs Customs

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:44 PM

I was exactly in your same situation. Color is definitely nice, but the B/W experience captures that visual look very well. Generally mono is quicker to pull in a good capture too because of the way pixels are utilized (look into the Bayer matrix).

Honestly, most of us would benefit from one of each, but I've rarely used my color camera since I got my mono.

Good to know, I will look into the Bayer matrix.

#33 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Aurora

• Moderators

Posted 23 June 2022 - 05:07 PM

Ha ha ha...you got me there.

Good to know, I will look into the Bayer matrix.

The open forums really aren't the place to talk about buying/selling (use the classifieds or PM).  But if I were to sell it at some point, I'd get another color camera - probably the ASI2600MC-Pro.  I don't use the ASI533MC-Pro much these days mostly because I'm still trying to figure out the 294MM-Pro and it's a bit of a hassle to swap out equipment every session.  I think my ultimate goal would be to acquire another mount so that I could have both color/mono ready to go.

Used 533's often show up in the classifieds, but they hold their value pretty well so not a huge discount.

• steveincolo and PFJs Customs like this

#34 steveincolo

steveincolo

Apollo

• Loc: Boulder, Colorado, US

Posted 23 June 2022 - 06:40 PM

Ha ha ha...you got me there.

The open forums really aren't the place to talk about buying/selling (use the classifieds or PM).  But if I were to sell it at some point, I'd get another color camera - probably the ASI2600MC-Pro.  I don't use the ASI533MC-Pro much these days mostly because I'm still trying to figure out the 294MM-Pro and it's a bit of a hassle to swap out equipment every session.  I think my ultimate goal would be to acquire another mount so that I could have both color/mono ready to go.

Used 533's often show up in the classifieds, but they hold their value pretty well so not a huge discount.

+1 on the CloudyNights classifieds.  I got my ASI533MC there for about a couple hundred off, minus PayPal + shipping.

#35 PFJs Customs

PFJs Customs

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 06:45 PM

Sounds good I'll keep an eye out 👍

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EAA

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics