•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Upgrades for a CPC 9.25 Edge

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gustave

gustave

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlottesville, VA

Posted 23 June 2022 - 12:55 PM

I'm considering purchasing a 9.25 Celestron Edge and need some input on what upgrades for such items as a focuser, diagonal, finder scope, etc, would make a significant difference for a visual user? Thanks for your opinions.

#2 fdboucher

fdboucher

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 June 2022 - 01:16 PM

Hi Gustave. I recently purchased a NexStar Evo 9.25 and I just love it!  :-)

Useful stuff to acquire from the start:

• A good set of eyepieces & Barlows. Take your time to choose… Buy a set, such as Celestron's 94303, Then upgrade! :-). As Bill Paolini mentions in his book: if you buy such a a set at the time of your scope purchase, you'll be acquiring a redundant 13mm eyepiece. That would be the right moment to negotiate an alternative item with the seller… If you're a beginner, a zoom is VERY useful! Mine is an excellent Celestron 93230 8-24mm. I use it all the time for finding my way around;
  • Vibration dampers for your tripod. Celestron makes a fine set (No 93503), that may be bought as a set with a powersupply or other useful items… Similar-looking ones and others on eBay are much less expensive, currently available, and appear to satisfy customers;
  • A dew shield (make it yourself or buy. I made one from neoprene. It's ugly, but it works!);
  • A good field reducer, for wide-views. Mine is an Antarès: it's great, and far less expensive than Celestron's 94175;
  • A REAL, full-size TelRad. The EZFinder that comes with the scope is not very easy to use if your eyes are not juvenile;
  • A 90° angled finderscope is nice to have. The FOV is narrow, which is the reason I also acquired a Telrad;
  • An alternative/supplementary power source, such as Celestron's 18778. Reason is: I broke mine early (the metal bit at the end snapped…) and could not charge my Evo battery for a few days. I now use an Ecoflow River Pro, with DC connector,  which provides tons of electrons for a long, long time;
  • If you'll be lugging your scope around: buy a carrying bag, such as Celestron padded bag No 94030.

BTW: Filters are not that useful, really… (to me, anyway…) You can do without… but they are included with many eyepiece sets.

Have fun!  :-)

Edited by fdboucher, 23 June 2022 - 01:34 PM.

• gustave, Crabber and wapfunz1 like this

#3 cneal

cneal

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 23 June 2022 - 01:38 PM

I use a C9.25 Edge on an AVX mount for visual. These are the additional basic things I purchased.

Baader Click Lock visual back. 

Baader 2 inch Click Lock mirror diagonal.

StarSense Autoalign system

Far Point micro focuser.

Celestron soft dew shield.

Celeston Dew Controller and 9.25 Dew Ring

The Baader Click Lock system should give a solid connection for the expensive bits. If you pay attention to what you are doing. Nothing can protect you from neglect. 

With the StarSense I haven't used a finder. In fact I have not even aligned the stock viewfinder. Select the object from the list and its in the field of view.

The Far Point micro focuser is a nice, but expensive, two speed focuser. Makes focus easy with mnimal vibration.

As for eyepieces, I started with a Baader Hyperion 36mm and a Baader zoom. I used the zoom to decide on the eyepieces that I would actually use before buying individual lenses. That is a path I recommend as it is a personal decision depending on what you look at and the conditions where you are.

In the southeast we have nights that dew will collect on anything, as you know. At a minimum you whould get a dew shield. A heating system will also be needed on those nights when everything outside is dripping wet.

• gustave and fdboucher like this

#4 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Gemini

• Loc: Florida

Posted 23 June 2022 - 02:31 PM

In Florida, it is the late morning that has the worst dew.  Power for the dew heater/strip, and perhaps one of the eyepiece if conditions warrant, and power for the mount.  StarSense is not cheap, but I find it time-effective.  While I'm getting the second load of kit out, the scope is aligning itself, so alignment takes about zero time.  If time is cheap then have at it, but in the early morning before work, my time is valuable.

In the future, a co-mounted wide-field refractor will give you a different perspective.

Unfortunately, an Edge HD requires an expensive reducer, but you need it to get more FOV for many targets.

https://astronomy.tools/ will give you eyepiece/FOV information on selected targets.

Edited by SchoolMaster, 23 June 2022 - 02:50 PM.

• gustave and fdboucher like this

#5 steffenyount

steffenyount

Vostok 1

• Loc: Berkeley, California

Posted 23 June 2022 - 05:51 PM

+1 on the Telrad finder

Here's what I use for dew and temp control on my EDGE 9.25":

1) Farpoint Notched Dew Shield
https://farpointastr...n-9-25-inch-sct

2) Celestron's dew heater ring
https://www.celestro...ter-ring-9-25in

3) Celestron's smart dew heater controller
https://www.celestro...r-controller-2x

4) DIY removable insulating thermal blanket (avoids heat plumes inside the OTA)
https://www.cloudyni...x/#entry8972011

Edited by steffenyount, 23 June 2022 - 05:52 PM.

• gustave, ewave and fdboucher like this

#6 fdboucher

fdboucher

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 June 2022 - 07:56 PM

To the OP: Check out this interesting thread:

https://www.cloudyni...many-questions/

#7 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Gemini

• Loc: Florida

Posted 24 June 2022 - 04:01 AM

Adding Reflectix or equivalent insulation.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics