•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6-23-22: Venus-Moon-Mars-Jupiter-Saturn

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ssmith

ssmith

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 23 June 2022 - 12:55 PM

Photo of the planetary parade.  Some of my photos captured Mercury but you have to pixel-peep to pick it out of the haze on the horizon.

Planets V-M-M-J-S 8mm 6-23-22 024g small.jpg

Edited by ssmith, 23 June 2022 - 12:56 PM.

• Dave Mitsky, NMCN, Don H and 12 others like this

#2 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 23 June 2022 - 12:58 PM

I like it!  like-button.jpg

#3 NMCN

NMCN

Messenger

Posted 23 June 2022 - 01:10 PM

Photo of the planetary parade.  Some of my photos captured Mercury but you have to pixel-peep to pick it out of the haze on the horizon.

attachicon.gifPlanets V-M-M-J-S 8mm 6-23-22 024g small.jpg

That still counts!

#4 Don H

Don H

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Near Tucson, AZ

Posted 23 June 2022 - 03:20 PM

I got up early today to get a look at this. I thought about waiting until tomorrow, but after noticing the moon was between Venus and Mars on the 23rd and 24th, I thought it would be good to see it today in case tomorrow morning has clouds.

I started looking around 4:15 when many stars were still visible and it still seemed dark. The sky was beginning to brighten when I decided to get my g&g 4.5" reflector. The outside temp was 72 degrees, there were no bugs and only the most gentle breeze. It was very comfortable in my cargo shorts and a t-shirt with my leather slippers on my feet. I took the scope out and started looking, knowing there was a GRS transit underway on Jupiter. I used a 9mm ep with a 3x Barlow and at 150x, the detail was very good. The GRS was indeed bold and the cloud belts had nice color and detail. Saturn and the Moon also looked fantastic. Mars probably needs to get closer and get a bit more mag in a larger scope, but Venus looked very nice, too. I had to wait for Mercury to clear the mountain peaks to the east, but there it was, just in time to get a look in the scope before I went back to bed. Very glad I got up today and maybe tomorrow I'll take out a larger scope and check out Uranus and Neptune, too.

• Special Ed, flt158 and csphere.d like this

#5 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, North America, Planet Earth

Posted 25 June 2022 - 11:31 AM

Here's a screen capture from Stellarium for the morning of June 23rd.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mercury  Venus  the crescent Moon  Mars  Jupiter  Saturn 6-23-22.JPG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics