•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Uranus-C (IMX585) first light with M57 and M27

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MarMax

MarMax

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 23 June 2022 - 01:04 PM

After a couple bumps in the road I'm up and running with the Uranus-C camera. My plan is to replace the Neptune-CII as an upgrade to a slightly larger sensor. I'm not into accumulating a camera collection so having one non-cooled OSC is all I need. With one more night of testing I'm sure it will serve me well.

C11 @ f/6 with a Universal Alan Gee II (UAGII) telecompressor, Uranus-C with IDAS-LPS-D3 filter

More specs are provided with each image in My Gallery. Check the "Large" image for each in the gallery to see close to full sensor size. I only cropped a bit of the edges to remove field rotation so you can see almost the full sensor size. I'm also using the Mini-TEC cooler which seems to consistently provide an 8° C drop in sensor temp from ambient. I believe it was running at 16° C by the end of the session.

M57, 4" / 4'

M57 C11uag UrC g350 61F 244S NoEdit 06222022m

M27 with a lot of stretch, 4" / 10'

M27 C11uag UrC g350 150F 600S NoEdit 06232022m

• Ptarmigan, mjritchie, Dunkstar and 12 others like this

#2 MarMax

MarMax

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 02:21 PM

In-lieu of editing this I'll add some follow up regarding White Balance (WB) which is being discussed in the Cey42 topic. The topic is about the ASI294MC-Pro but the general discussion of how to approach WB in regard to flat frames is quite interesting.

I've been emailing back and forth with Player One to try and better understand the specs of the Uranus-C. The IMX585 sensor, like many others, has an HCG mode which is turned on based on the firmware. For the Uranus-C this is at a gain of 180. With HCG, the read noise drops from about 7 (e-rms) to 2 (e-rms).

In addition to experimenting with the WB-Balanced vs. WB-Fixed (default) I've been taking flats at the gain setting where HCG kicks in. Hopefully as a group we can figure out optimum settings for these Starvis 2 sensor cameras. It would be nice to know for short exposure EAA (less than or equal to 30 seconds) what the "best" gain and WB settings are for taking flats.

Edited by MarMax, 23 June 2022 - 02:24 PM.

#3 xb39

xb39

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 24 June 2022 - 04:22 AM

Hi,

very nice pictures and very interesting information re. the WB flat topic! As an Uranus-C owner the info is very useful. So far I have not had the chance to do a deeper test. With Antlia Alp-T and Gain 180 it is pretty dark :-) Will push gain to 350 next time as well.

Could you share some info about your mini-TEC cooler?

Thanks and best regards

Stefan

#4 MarMax

MarMax

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2022 - 10:28 AM

Hi,

very nice pictures and very interesting information re. the WB flat topic! As an Uranus-C owner the info is very useful. So far I have not had the chance to do a deeper test. With Antlia Alp-T and Gain 180 it is pretty dark :-) Will push gain to 350 next time as well.

Could you share some info about your mini-TEC cooler?

Thanks and best regards

Stefan

Thank you Stefan.

Here the link to the Mini-TEC thread.

• gonzothegreat and xb39 like this

#5 OregonSky

OregonSky

Vostok 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 24 June 2022 - 11:32 AM

Sorry I cannot intelligently add to your flats information but wanted to let you know I really appreciate the great short exposure photos that you posted from the "planetary ?" Uranus-C camera.

This you tube video might give some reference to what another owner is doing.

https://www.youtube....h?v=GS-3QYxfKPI

I communicated with Player One a week ago and they recommended Uranus-C for my scope family and deep sky dreams. 

I'll keep an eye out for some DSO's

Edited by OregonSky, 24 June 2022 - 04:52 PM.

• MarMax likes this

#6 MarMax

MarMax

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2022 - 12:36 PM

I'll start a new topic for the 2nd night of objects with the Uranus-C but wanted to add a comparison of WB-Balanced to WB-Fixed.

This is M97 with my attempt to keep settings as similar as possible with the difference in WB settings for the flats.

WB-Balanced is the top image and WB-Fixed (default) is the bottom image

WB-Balanced = R-G-B of R(0), G(-355), B(+545)

WB-Fixed = R-G-B of R(0), G(0), B(0)

Click on the image and go to the "Large" size for the best view.

M97wbcomp C11uag UrC g350 38F 304S NoEdit 06232022m

I really can't say which is better.

Edited by MarMax, 24 June 2022 - 12:37 PM.

#7 xb39

xb39

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2022 - 01:37 AM

Thanks a lot :-)

#8 xb39

xb39

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2022 - 10:57 AM

Hi,

the Mini-TEC is a really great project!

I just realized that Player One is offering an active cooling system: https://player-one-a...cooled-cameras/

I have just ordered one as I am not as technically skilled as you are :-)

Best regards

Stefan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics