•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 115mm f/7 Triplet APO a worthwhile DSO imaging scope, or go higher?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Joelsfallon

Joelsfallon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 03:48 PM

My current workhorse is a 190mm Mak-Newt with, G26 Starshoot Mono, EQ6R-Pro. It's a little too large of an OTA to take to my dark sky site, as wind is a frequent issue there. 

I am shopping for a DSO-orientated refractor with a little shortler FL to help manage keep windsail and weight down.

A used Meade 6000 115mm f/7 Triplet APO is up for sale on a classified, I just wanted to get any of your opinions on this particular scope, or if it's really worth spending an extra grand or two on something a little more premium that blows the Meade out the park? The Focal length and aperture is suitable for me, just not quite sure on the quality of optics.

Cheers
Joel

Edited by Joelsfallon, 23 June 2022 - 03:51 PM.

#2 rsalva1

rsalva1

Explorer 1

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:05 PM

Yep, I had the same maknewt, always worried if I was going to drop it. Ended up selling it. As for the Meade, it should be fine. Get a reducer for a wider field. 

• Joelsfallon likes this

#3 Joelsfallon

Joelsfallon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:11 PM

Yep, I had the same maknewt, always worried if I was going to drop it. Ended up selling it. As for the Meade, it should be fine. Get a reducer for a wider field. 

Hah right, I'm always gripping the OTA with all my might when transporting. I'll be keeping my one still. :)

How effective of an imaging scope is the Meade without the reducer, though? I feel like I may want to image galaxies with it sometimes. If I can crop out the coma comfortably, then shouldn't be an issue. ;)

#4 rsalva1

rsalva1

Explorer 1

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:28 PM

Without the reducer, galaxies should be fine however there will be times when you want more FL for those faint ones. I have a TSA120 and now I'm thinking of getting a RC8 or an EdgeHD. LOL, always blaming the equipment.

• Joelsfallon likes this

#5 rsalva1

rsalva1

Explorer 1

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:31 PM

I forgot to mention, I would suggest to peruse astrobin and search for the scope and associated images 

#6 Joelsfallon

Joelsfallon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:57 PM

I forgot to mention, I would suggest to peruse astrobin and search for the scope and associated images 

Yup. Astrobin is good, but everyone's processing workflow is a little different, so it never truly reflects the OTA's potential. It's definitely a good start though, and the stars do look relatively sharp across.

How's the TSA? Do you prefer it to the Mak Newt image-wise?

#7 reglogge

reglogge

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Munich, Germany

Posted 23 June 2022 - 05:14 PM

AFAIK the Meade is basically the same scope as the Astrotech 115 EDT and the TS 115 Photoline refractors. These are very capable scopes. I own the TS variant (see my astrobin account at https://www.astrobin...users/reglogge/) and am very happy with it. There is also a great thread on the Astrotech version here on CN: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/768782-astro-tech-at115edt-review-the-telescope-that-punches-way-above-its-price-range/page-3?hl=at115#entry11519584
Also Ed Ting did a good review on it: https://www.youtube....h?v=sE18PBQRzDQ

Edited by reglogge, 23 June 2022 - 05:14 PM.

• rsalva1, Joelsfallon and Cbaxter like this

#8 Joelsfallon

Joelsfallon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 06:07 PM

AFAIK the Meade is basically the same scope as the Astrotech 115 EDT and the TS 115 Photoline refractors. These are very capable scopes. I own the TS variant (see my astrobin account at https://www.astrobin...users/reglogge/) and am very happy with it. There is also a great thread on the Astrotech version here on CN: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/768782-astro-tech-at115edt-review-the-telescope-that-punches-way-above-its-price-range/page-3?hl=at115#entry11519584
Also Ed Ting did a good review on it: https://www.youtube....h?v=sE18PBQRzDQ

Hi Reg,

Thanks for the great links!

#9 JamesTX

JamesTX

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 23 June 2022 - 06:13 PM

I've had my at115edt for a few months now.  I was looking at the Esprit and WO 120s but the price increases earlier this year put them out of reach.

Overall I've been satisfied with mine.  I do get very mild blue fringes on some stars.. but you have to zoom in a lot to notice.  I'm enjoying the image scale with the ,8 reducer.  It fits well in between my sv70t and Edge 8.  Mounted on my EQ6R it handles 10mph winds with no problem.  I think getting over 12mph starts to become an issue.

Examples are available on my astrobin page.. and a first light review on my youtube channel.  Links to both in my signature block.

#10 Joelsfallon

Joelsfallon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 07:27 PM

I've had my at115edt for a few months now.  I was looking at the Esprit and WO 120s but the price increases earlier this year put them out of reach.

Overall I've been satisfied with mine.  I do get very mild blue fringes on some stars.. but you have to zoom in a lot to notice.  I'm enjoying the image scale with the ,8 reducer.  It fits well in between my sv70t and Edge 8.  Mounted on my EQ6R it handles 10mph winds with no problem.  I think getting over 12mph starts to become an issue.

Examples are available on my astrobin page.. and a first light review on my youtube channel.  Links to both in my signature block.

Impressive stuff, James!

I can see the slight blue fringe towards the corner stars you mentioned, but this shouldn't bother me much. What reducer did you go for? I've read that the TeleVue reducer provides a little better colour correction.

• JamesTX likes this

#11 JamesTX

JamesTX

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 23 June 2022 - 07:36 PM

Thanks!

I'm using the astronomics one.

Edited by JamesTX, 23 June 2022 - 07:36 PM.

• Joelsfallon likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics