•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Flat field generators

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jack160219

Jack160219

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:00 PM

Hi,

I’ve got a 9.25  SCT and struggle getting flats, I’d like to get these after my lights so I’m guaranteed correct focus. Any suggestions or feedback on flat field generators and the correct size? Thanks jack.

#2 idclimber

idclimber

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:48 PM

The last two nights I took sky flats with my 12" SCT using the routine in Voyager. I woke up to a folder of data and those calibration frames as this is fully automated. I collected 20 each of my LRGB filters as well as SHO. I did not take any narrowband subs so I will wind up deleting those (too lazy to change the script). 

This works perfect as long as the clouds have not moved in. If they do I can either use another night as I do not move anything or I can take them with a flat generator. I do calibrate them with bias so I would not even try this with the 294 or the 1600. I have the 2600mm. 

I use the Spike A Flat generator if the sky flats fail. It is good, but I had to use a separate dimmer with my older 1600 and with the 2600 to eliminate interference banding. 

• bobzeq25 likes this

#3 steffenyount

steffenyount

Vostok 1

• Loc: Berkeley, California

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:59 PM

Would something like this $50 A3 sized tracing light pad work for you?
https://www.amazon.c...uct/B09J8GC31J/

#4 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 23 June 2022 - 05:03 PM

Are you talking about a portable setup, or observatory?

Do you want to mount on front or on wall opposite?

What filters will you use?

Alex

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics