•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So what might your workflow be for this image of Lagoon?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:07 PM

I still think of myself as quite the newbie when it comes to NB. For example I just know how to map using channel combination and  I do not have a solid workflow for adding LRGB data.   I map the classic SHO, , Oiii to blu, HA to green and SII to red.   

Would love to know how you would approach this image, which I feel comes from rather good data.  23 x300 sec Sii, 28 X 300 HA, " " for O2.  I used my ES FPL53 115 [F5.5]  triplet with a .8 Televue reducer and I do have some tilt in the lower left that I am not losing sleep over yet.  I also found last night that I did not have quite enough counter weight on my rig but I would not sweat that I am sure the Mach 1 could handle a little bit of a telescope heavy rig.

My process so far is 

DC

DBE

LF

Channel combination

non-linear stretch.

SCNR to reduce green, invert, do again.

invert again

After this there are several different options and I would love to read how others would approach it. I have linked a SHO master file for those interested:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!...Iyzgzw?e=gM2PNI

Attached Thumbnails

• lagoonJun22.jpg

#2 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:15 PM

When I apply SCNR it instantly improves the image, but at the cost of data?

Attached Thumbnails

• lagoonJun22_SNCR.jpg

Edited by Ballyhoo, 23 June 2022 - 04:15 PM.

#3 Dren

Dren

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:31 PM

I usually like to do a little Hue adjustment before SCNR.  Sometimes I reduce the value of SCNR to leave a little green in the image.  Have you seen this tutorial?  I've linked to the color palette changes, but the whole tutorial is pretty informative.  

• Ballyhoo likes this

#4 klaussius

klaussius

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:36 PM

Instead of SCNR before inverting, I do "white balance" on SHO data. That almost always involves boosting OIII and SII considerably.

So, it would go:

• DC
  • DBE
  • WB (linear stretch on SII and OIII to get pleasing colors)
  • Buld synthetic L = a*S + H + b*O for some value of a,b which I tune based on preference
  • WB matrix (apply a color matrix to turn green into a warmer color if I wish, depends on the image really whether I do)
    Commonly:
    • R = 0.75 * S + 0.35 * H
    • G = 0.65 * H + 0.35 * O
    • B = O
  • Invert
  • SCNR
  • Invert
  • Apply synthetic L

• Ballyhoo likes this

#5 RogerM

RogerM

Viking 1

• Loc: California

Posted 23 June 2022 - 05:01 PM

When I apply SCNR it instantly improves the image, but at the cost of data?

There was a conversation about using LinearFit during processing, I bookmarked Jon Rista' post for when I reconfigure back to NB.

• Ballyhoo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics