•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Losmandy AZ8 Dec Axis Disassembly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Orion68

Orion68

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 05:34 PM

I can feel and hear a slight knocking when rotating the Dec axis of my AZ8 (not using the slow-motion control). It is not the worm gear but feels more like a bearing knock. I looked on the Losmandy site for instructions or a diagram on how to take the Dec axis apart but found nothing.

Can anyone share a link to instructions or pass on their method for taking the axis apart?

Which end of the Dec axis should be removed first?

How do you remove the slow-motion control knobs, there is no set screw? 

Any tips for things to avoid when disassembling this axis, springs shooting across the room, etc. 

Many thanks in advance.

Clear skies!

#2 luxo II

luxo II

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 23 June 2022 - 06:50 PM

That's backlash. No need to disassemble the dec shaft.

(1) there is a slight play between the worm and worn wheel  - there has to be a little or the worm will be difficult to rotate. To adjust this, loosen the bolts securing the worm block, press the worm closer to the worm wheel - slight pressure is sufficient, and re-tighten. From personal experience even if you do adjust this to remove backlash, fairly quickly the worm and wheel will wear and a small amount of backlash will reappear.

(2) the worm is sliding back and forth between the bearing blocks, to adjust these look carefully at the bolts securing the bearings at each end, and lightly squeeze these together on either side of the worm as you tighten the bolts.

Losmandy provide adjustments for both, time to pull out the Allen keys.

Edited by luxo II, 23 June 2022 - 06:53 PM.

• Orion68 likes this

#3 Orion68

Orion68

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 08:02 PM

Thanks, Luxo, appreciate your help!

It' not worm backlash, I've adjusted those. I could tighten the worm down so that it won't move and I still get the knocking. It's something internal in the dec shaft housing. 

Maybe something to do with the slip clutch. I need to get the dec axis disassembled and then I'll find the problem. Just not sure how to disassemble other than just start stripping off parts. Really don't want to do that without a schematic.

Losmandy has manuals on everything except the AZ8 - go figure.

Clear skies Luxo, Tim

#4 luxo II

luxo II

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 23 June 2022 - 08:11 PM

There's nothing complicated about these - I had one before and now have a G11 which is similar.  

Things to watch:

1. have some small clean trays to hold the small items;

2. have a clean work area to do this... essential to keep grit & dust out of the bearings and the worm/worm wheel.

3. when dismantling the worm and worm wheel it is paramount not to drop the worm or the worm wheel - they'll never run smoothly again. Ideally do the disassembly on the floor (nowhere to fall) and on a soft surface (old towel is ideal).

4. If you are unsure, take detailed photos at each step before undoing something. That way you know how its supposed to be when reassembling.

Edited by luxo II, 23 June 2022 - 08:12 PM.

• Orion68 likes this

#5 Orion68

Orion68

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 08:24 PM

Thanks, Luxo. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics