•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Auto-Focusers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Romonaga

Romonaga

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lakeland Fl

Posted 23 June 2022 - 05:41 PM

Sometime ago I ordered the ZWO EAF, however like most things it was on backorder forever.  I waited several months, and decided I wanted something sooner.  I was unable to find one that would work on the Recat 71 outside the ZWO I was still waiting on.  I decided to get the SESTO SENSO 2. knowing full well that it was not able to handle the Recat, but at least I could use it on the 100 ED APO.

For several months I used it and wrestled with trying to get it to work correctly.  It does not get mounted to your hardware, it free floats connected to your focus adjustor.  The device did not have the strength to hold the focus on the 100 ED, if I did not lock the 100 ED, the weight of the camera and filter wheel would cause the focuser to slip.

The only way I could use it, and it was never consistent, was for me to manually adjust the course focus, and once I has happy lock the focus on the 100 ED.  While this worked it was never perfect and setting the focus to the same number lead to different focus results.

The other issue it presented is balance issues, how do they expect one to balance correctly when you have this added off center weight?  I ended up using a different guide camera that fit into the red dot finder space. 

For me this product did not meet up to what I needed as I did not want to stand in my yard getting chewed by bugs while I focus, but it did at least allow me once I was course focused to move inside so I was ok.

Recently the finally received my ZWO EAF, I am happy to say that it works much better. It works with my C8 with the kit, it works with the Redcat 71 and mounts under it, and it mounts to the 100 ED and has zero issues with slippage, even if it is still a side mount balance issue.

AS always, I suspect the way I am using the Senso 2 could be the issue with my 100 ED, I would l love to be able to keep it and use it, as I am soon getting one more mount, so my question.  Has anyone used this device successfully with the 100 ED, or even the 14 edge HD as that is the new scope I am waiting on. 

#2 adamfenn28

adamfenn28

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rural Iowa

Posted 23 June 2022 - 07:47 PM

Did you connect the Senso to the fine focus shaft?

• Romonaga likes this

#3 Romonaga

Romonaga

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lakeland Fl

Posted 24 June 2022 - 12:06 PM

Did you connect the Senso to the fine focus shaft?

Yes, it is connected, and the fine focus works fine, even with the lock in place.  The course, works only if I leave the lock off.

#4 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Viking 1

• Loc: Oise, France

Posted 24 June 2022 - 12:17 PM

I have an EAF still sitting downstairs in its box. Don’t think they work so well with DSLRs so I’m saving up for a dedicated astro cam.

• Romonaga likes this

#5 adamfenn28

adamfenn28

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rural Iowa

Posted 24 June 2022 - 12:43 PM

I have an Esprit 150 with the same focuser.  I tried the Senso also.  Any focuser that drives off of the fine focuser will likely slip some as the fine focus shave is friction based.   If you start at your midpoint, move all the way out, then back in the same number of steps, I bet you'll notice the drawtube is in a different position than you started from.  I switched to the Optec SWX30, which attaches to the coarse shaft, on the opposite side.  I've had much better results with it and I bet you would too.

• Romonaga likes this

#6 mgirdwood

mgirdwood

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2022 - 03:26 PM

I have 2 Sesto that i have been switching between my different scopes, the largest is guess is the 150mm newt with a crayford focuser ( :( ). with a 1600mm Mono and EFW and i dont think too date - touch wood - that i have had any slippage on any of them, perhaps i just got lucky

#7 GR-Amateur

GR-Amateur

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 June 2022 - 10:57 PM

I have an EAF still sitting downstairs in its box. Don’t think they work so well with DSLRs so I’m saving up for a dedicated astro cam.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics