•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Argo Navis on Tak EM-10 mount

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2022 - 05:54 PM

I have a Takahashi EM-10 (non-USD) mount.  I see that Wildcat Innovations (Argo Navis) makes braces that allow optical encoders to be mounted on the EM-10 to use with the Argo Navis DSC, making the mount Push-To.  Has anyone had any success with this?  I would love to hear your stories. 

• cavecollector likes this

#2 Dan Cassaro

Dan Cassaro

Explorer 1

Posted 24 June 2022 - 11:17 AM

Digital setting circles are almost like cheating.  :)

I've got an Argo Navis retrofitted to my 1960's Tinsley GEM, and it works great.     I also have encoders on the old C14 fork mount so I can use the handbox with either mount.

Argo Navis + Stellarium is a terrific combination.   A simple 3 wire serial cable connects the Argo to your PC running Stellarium, and that gives you push-to with Stellarium displaying a set of crosshairs showing exactly where the scope is pointed.

I wouldn't give mine up for the world.   As to the brackets, I've had to make my own for the Tinsley, but all they do is hold the very lightweight encoders, so you can easily make custom ones if need be.  The Argo is configurable for just about any type of encoder, which is a very nice touch.  

• eyeoftexas likes this

#3 Gabby76

Gabby76

Ranger 4

Posted 25 June 2022 - 11:31 AM

I have a Argo Navis that I switch between my CG-5 and Stellarvue M2C, a great piece of kit. 

• Dan Cassaro and eyeoftexas like this

#4 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2022 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I have heard good things about the AN.  What I was wondering is whether the encoder bracket that Wildcat makes to mount encoders on the EM-10 works well.  It requires drilling two holes into the mount, and that's something I would not like to do only to find out the bracket doesn't work well.

#5 Dan Cassaro

Dan Cassaro

Explorer 1

Posted 25 June 2022 - 06:09 PM

The Wildcard brackets just hold the encoders in place.  The encoders only weigh a few ounces, if that, so there's no real question about whether or not they would "work".

I completely understand your reluctance to drill your mount.  

You can always temporarily secure the brackets in place with double sided tape, or zip ties, or a dab of hot glue, etc.   So long as the brackets don't move, the encoders will report accurately.

Once you've mocked it up and are satisfied it will work, then you can drill.... very carefully. 

I see that Wildcard uses 5-40 self-tapping screws, and the holes are only 1/4" deep, which should make installation easier.  

Adding DSC's makes your scope much easier to use.  And a scope that's easy to use will get used.

Take it from an old 'star hopper', who used to print out 'finder charts' to hunt deep sky objects.... digital setting circles are worth every penny, and whatever mods you must make to your mount to install them.

EDIT:  After looking at the installation guide from Wildcard Innovations, and the EM10 mount, I think hot glue would be your best best for either mocking it up or for installation.   Hot glue has the advantage that it can be easily removed with isopropyl alcohol and will not harm the paint on your mount if you decide to take it off.  Just a few dabs would be more than enough....

Edited by Dan Cassaro, Yesterday, 10:45 AM.

#6 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 01:24 PM

EDIT:  After looking at the installation guide from Wildcard Innovations, and the EM10 mount, I think hot glue would be your best best for either mocking it up or for installation.   Hot glue has the advantage that it can be easily removed with isopropyl alcohol and will not harm the paint on your mount if you decide to take it off.  Just a few dabs would be more than enough....

Excellent suggestion.  Thanks!  flowerred.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics