•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Weather is really changing

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 grif 678

grif 678

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 23 June 2022 - 08:55 PM

This year we have had weather that is not the usual for NC. Every time we have thunder storms this year, we are out under a severe threat, every time. It has never been this way before, we usually have some rain and thunderstorms that are just normal, but not this year. It seems that the warmer temps on earth are changing the weather every where.

This worries me about hurricane season this year, because they say that a difference of one degree in water temps can change a hurricane from a weak one to a cat 5. I guess all this weather pattern changes across the country are in a way changing some viewing plans.

• CollinofAlabama likes this

#2 Heywood

Heywood

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: At the Bottom of a Gravity Well

Posted 23 June 2022 - 09:15 PM

Where I live we are having very hot weather like I have never seen in my life, if memory serves. Every day over 100 degrees F. And no rain. This is not normal. The temp should be about ten degrees cooler.

Edited by Heywood, 23 June 2022 - 09:16 PM.

#3 ram812

ram812

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 June 2022 - 09:32 PM

Here on the left coast, which affects the whole of the US we're still in La Nina`, which is throwing everyone off😯. It was cool and wet with the river of moisture for some time but for the 1st. time this year we'll be above 100° for a couple days. Feels good after a long, somewhat mild winter in the PNW. Don't care for the pollen and fire danger though!

CS, Ralph

Edited by ram812, 23 June 2022 - 09:32 PM.

• CeeKay likes this

#4 Mossonarock

Mossonarock

Vostok 1

Posted 24 June 2022 - 09:58 AM

This year we have had weather that is not the usual for NC. Every time we have thunder storms this year, we are out under a severe threat, every time.

Last friday, my neighborhood had an extreme storm that lasted about 15 minutes. During that time, we had 60mph winds that broke 18inch diameter branches from trees. Some trees were uprooted. We also had 1.5 inch sized hail and it was enough hail to cover the ground. My neighbor's barn was flattened. We've never seen anything quite like that. As strong as the storm was, it only covered a small area. Indeed, it was weird.

• gene 4181 likes this

#5 daveb2022

daveb2022

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: NOR-CAL

Posted 29 June 2022 - 08:31 PM

This year in my area of the California Central Valley has been more normal that not temperature wise. But our winter this year and especially 2020-2021 was dry and warm. I usually see temps in the upper 20's but we never even had a day under 30 degrees during the last two years. 2020-2021 was a drought year but we are right at or slightly below average this year. The problem is we got most all of our heavy rain prior to January which isn't the norm. So far the late spring and early summer temps have been about normal but the winds have been a constant issue that has affected many of my hobbies including astronomy. Usually the 4th of July is hot (100+) but last year it was in the low 90's and is supposed to be in the mid 80 this year! I can't recall the last time I saw a cool 4th of July. Cooler weather in the central valley during summer usually means delta breezes, and it disrupts my telescope viewing, so I'm guessing my scopes will stay in their cases for the next week confused1.gif  

#6 CowTipton

CowTipton

Apollo

• Loc: NW Chicago Suburbs

Posted 30 June 2022 - 12:17 PM

Honestly it's been the same ol' same old in the Midwest as far as I can tell.

A few weeks of rain and storms, a few weeks of heat, a few days of mild temps, rinse and repeat.

#7 KWB

KWB

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet

Posted 30 June 2022 - 10:44 PM

Where I live our weather is changing at the very end of June and that is a very good thing. Lower temperatures, higher humidity levels and measurable precipitation for 2 consecutive days. After about a 2 year absence, the southwestern monsoon has returned and is in effect for maybe another day or so.

That kind of change is a good one and I'd sacrifice the use of my telescope for the next 2 months in exchange for cloudy skies that would bring us about 6 inches of rain. smile.gif

• csa/montana and CowTipton like this

#8 Chucky

Chucky

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 July 2022 - 06:42 AM

Weather always changes.  So does life.  I'm not too worried to be honest with you.  Just live and deal with whatever comes my way whether is cold/hot, rain/snow/ice.  Variety is the spice of our everyday existence.  I don't try and over analyze it.  Now if weather never changed, then I might start to worry!

Edited by Chucky, 01 July 2022 - 06:46 AM.

• airbleeder, Augustus, silodweller and 1 other like this

#9 russell23

russell23

Hubble

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 01 July 2022 - 07:25 AM

This year we have had weather that is not the usual for NC. Every time we have thunder storms this year, we are out under a severe threat, every time. It has never been this way before, we usually have some rain and thunderstorms that are just normal, but not this year. It seems that the warmer temps on earth are changing the weather every where.

This worries me about hurricane season this year, because they say that a difference of one degree in water temps can change a hurricane from a weak one to a cat 5. I guess all this weather pattern changes across the country are in a way changing some viewing plans.

I wouldn’t take the “severe threat” warnings too seriously.  We’ve had those warnings multiple times this year but the storms have either not come or been mild.  Many of the times they’ve warned us of severe storms we haven’t even had any rain.   

We’ve had the coldest June I can remember - particularly the overnight lows.  It dropped into the 40’s the other night.  Multiple days this month have had a high in the range of low 60’s to low 70’s.  That is cold for this time of year.   

#10 CeeKay

CeeKay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted 01 July 2022 - 07:41 AM

Here on the left coast, which affects the whole of the US we're still in La Nina`, which is throwing everyone off. It was cool and wet with the river of moisture for some time but for the 1st. time this year we'll be above 100° for a couple days. Feels good after a long, somewhat mild winter in the PNW. Don't care for the pollen and fire danger though!

CS, Ralph

Ralph... you're right about the pollen!  My allergies, which usually last for a couple of weeks have been in full gear since late April!  Can't remember a single day i that time frame when I haven't been sneezing or blowing my nose multiple times a day.

La Nina has made a mess on my viewing so far this year...

Edited by CeeKay, 01 July 2022 - 07:43 AM.

• ram812 likes this

#11 ram812

ram812

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2022 - 11:39 PM

Ralph... you're right about the pollen! My allergies, which usually last for a couple of weeks have been in full gear since late April! Can't remember a single day i that time frame when I haven't been sneezing or blowing my nose multiple times a day.

La Nina has made a mess on my viewing so far this year...

Roller-coaster weather/ allergies. We just can't catch a break🤨...

RAM😁
I'd say wait for winter but you know how that can go!!!😯
  • CeeKay likes this

#12 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

• Loc: Perry, GA USA

Posted 02 July 2022 - 06:36 AM

Yeah, back in June we had something like nine days in excess of 100 degrees and we broke several long standing records.  I have been in Georgia since 1995 and I can't remember anything like this.  Back in April we had a tornado outbreak with 25 verified events.  Lots of damage but thankfully no loss of life.

#13 Dwight J

Dwight J

Skylab

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 02 July 2022 - 04:39 PM

In my area La Nina is having a marked effect and mostly for the better.  It made winter suck and seemed to last until May but frequent rains, some of significant amounts, have ended our drought.  Our flowers, shrubs, grass, etc are doing fantastic and no 102 degree temps.  We are mostly hovering around 75 to 80 which makes outdoor pursuits pleasant.  I haven’t even taken the cover off the air-conditioner.  The thunderstorms though frequent are non severe in nature.  The downside is more mosquitoes.  The best upside is we are not inundated with forest fire smoke and at my site in BC we can have a campfire...first time in two years.  If it turns into a triple La Nina this fall it could be an early winter.  Overall I am quite happy with our current weather.  We do need a drier August and September for harvest though.  

• payner and ram812 like this

#14 FloridaFocus

FloridaFocus

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Gainesville, FL

Posted 04 July 2022 - 03:29 AM

Here in Florida it’s always hot in the summer. Can’t say I’ve noticed it become more so, nor less.

What I can say I’ve noticed is that winter seems to keep getting shorter and shorter. Nowadays, blink, and it’s over. I think I turned on the heater twice this past year.

#15 Migwan

Migwan

Gemini

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 04 July 2022 - 08:32 AM

Here in Florida it’s always hot in the summer. Can’t say I’ve noticed it become more so, nor less.

What I can say I’ve noticed is that winter seems to keep getting shorter and shorter. Nowadays, blink, and it’s over. I think I turned on the heater twice this past year.

Trade you?  Last three or four winters have been longer in central MI.  We've gotten brief warm periods early then back to longish cold snaps in what is supposed to be spring.  The orchard has adjusted and started blooming quite late.   Humming bird feeders have gone unused till May.  Worst of all, I've had a lot of die off of hardy plants and bushes, particularly in the last three years.  

Basically, I try not to blink in summer.

#16 russell23

russell23

Hubble

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 04 July 2022 - 05:28 PM

Trade you?  Last three or four winters have been longer in central MI.  We've gotten brief warm periods early then back to longish cold snaps in what is supposed to be spring.  The orchard has adjusted and started blooming quite late.   Humming bird feeders have gone unused till May.  Worst of all, I've had a lot of die off of hardy plants and bushes, particularly in the last three years.  

Basically, I try not to blink in summer.

We have very similar pattern here in my part of upstate NY.  I was just talking with my son-in-law early today, whose family has a large farm.  He was saying they now have to wait until May to put in some crops they used to put in in mid-April.  Winter is very slow to go away here.  I was observing last night, July 3rd, and was wearing the same clothing I normally expect to wear in September (hat, gloves, thermal pants, multiple top layers). 

It used to be that mid-June through the end of July I could observe with shorts and a T-shirt. 

• Migwan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics