•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Replacing Celestron's Finderscopes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Paradoxdb3

Paradoxdb3

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Posted 23 June 2022 - 09:10 PM

I purchased a finderscope dovetail base to replace the one on my C11. Unfortunately, I misread the description, which said it was good for the C8, C8HD, C925, and C11HD. I don't have the C11HD, so the finderscope base is ever so slightly too narrow. I took a dremel and widened the slots on the base, so it just barely fits, but at least I can now add my Orion right angle correct image finderscope and take it off for storage.

I think the Celestron straight through finderscope isn't very conducive to tracking the ISS, for example. It doesn't protrude past the end of the back of the OTA and feels uncomfortable to **** my head to get a good view. Is this anyone else's experience? If so, how did you deal with it?

#2 luxo II

luxo II

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 23 June 2022 - 09:26 PM

I think the Celestron straight through finderscope isn't very conducive to tracking the ISS, for example. It doesn't protrude past the end of the back of the OTA and feels uncomfortable to **** my head to get a good view.

IMHO the backend of an SCT always was a lousy place to put the finderscope, ergonomically.

I understand why they did that - they needed something thick to drill & tap which only leaves the front or back cells, and were too mean to do any better.

They way they mount it is a PITA. But if it extends behind the back of the scope it often blocks your head when you want to look in the eyepiece, worse. 

When I used my rig altaz I found that having the finderscope on a rail well clear of the OTA and slightly forward of the altitude  axis was ideal - it means the height of the finder eyepiece doesn't change much, though its better if it does rise a little with increasing elevation as you have to tilt your head up (see photo below).

With an altaz fork-mounted SCT this is approximated by bolting the finder on one side of the corrector cell.

Another way is to add say an ADM MDS rail and mount the finder on that, slightly forward of the fork.

If you're equatorial however all bets are off - the finder will be a pain whatever you do. For this reason when I moved to a Losmandy G11 mount (equatorial only) I have added encoders and Nexus II so that I now have push-to positioning accurate to an arc minute or two - easily centres objects in the big mak without using a finderscope at all.

The other ways to ditch the finderscope and use something with a camera that plate-solves.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0229.jpg

Edited by luxo II, 23 June 2022 - 09:34 PM.

#3 LouB

LouB

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 June 2022 - 09:27 PM

Depending what scope I am using I have a dot finder which is almost always my go to.  Then a straight thru 50 mm  finder. Then I have a right angle finder if I am using my newt  or I am in a difficult position. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics