•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AZ-GTi mount issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2022 - 02:19 AM

I bought an AZ-GTi as a nice portable mount. And hopefully some what beginner friendly.

I've several issues but the one I want to figure out at the moment is a problem when in equatorial 'mode' I park the mount. If I (using EQMod) slew the mount to the west some random amount and then tell it to 'Park to home position' the mount returns to the home position. But if I do the same exact thing except slew to the east the mount will go past the home position and park several degrees too far to the west. Normally the further I slew to the east the more it is off when slewing to the home position. What is going on? Backlash? But why only in one direction?

Everything is, as far as I can tell, tight. I've had the mount apart to clean it, tighten the axes and the get rid of any slop in the motor/gear train. It happens whether there is something mounted on it or if it is nothing on it. This, along with other issues, is driving me batty. My best guess is some backlash as, when using plate solving to move around the sky (in Ekos), it needs two or three tries to get right on. But, as I said, there is no movement that I can detect in the axes, everything is locked down tight.

Any ideas? Am I missing something simple? What else do you need to know?

Edited by TheGreenMan, 24 June 2022 - 10:33 AM.

#2 TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:12 AM

So after tearing into the mount, for a third time, I think the issue was just a little remaining backlash. Strange it only happened in one direction though.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics