•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Most Useful Color Filter Ever!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Enceladus96

Enceladus96

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix

Posted 24 June 2022 - 02:27 AM

What is the most useful color filter (#) you've ever used and on what object? I know they have different uses depending on the number/color but I wanna know which color filter blew you away for a certain use. 

Edited by Enceladus96, 24 June 2022 - 02:30 AM.

#2 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 5000' ft @ 41° N Utah

Posted 24 June 2022 - 04:37 AM

I like a nice green for collimation. Maybe Red on Mars? Personally, I sold the Red and just use my Baader Neodymium M&SG instead. And Green, which is nice for collimation, has been replaced by MetaGuide!  After a version of this question gets posted at least monthly, I have observed most responding posts prefer newer filter tech than the super-old school single color glass. It is why they are so cheap, relatively. 

#3 russell23

russell23

Hubble

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 24 June 2022 - 04:58 AM

The Wratten 21 Orange filter really makes features pop on the Moon. 

#4 Traveler

Traveler

Skylab

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2022 - 05:23 AM

"but I wanna know which color filter [Wratten #] blew you away for a certain use."

For me: Not a single one...

If the wording were a little less definite, such as which one helped a little, my answer would be different. Then i would say a #23A for Mars and a # 58 as a less expensive version of the Baader Continium filter.

#5 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 24 June 2022 - 05:39 AM

Wr47 violet on venus to see cloud features. Blue on Mars to see clouds and ice. Red on mars to see surface markings beautifully.

#6 Shinzawai

Shinzawai

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2022 - 09:53 AM

Don't think "blew away" would be appropriate to describe any visual filter performance, especially not "wratten RGB" ones.

Edited by Shinzawai, 24 June 2022 - 09:53 AM.

#7 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 24 June 2022 - 10:16 AM

Don't think "blew away" would be appropriate to describe any visual filter performance, especially not "wratten RGB" ones.

I was pretty blown away by seeing clouds on Venus with the Wr47! And the other Mars experiences described!

#8 Starman1

Starman1

Stargeezer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 24 June 2022 - 11:19 AM

What is the most useful color filter (#) you've ever used and on what object? I know they have different uses depending on the number/color but I wanna know which color filter blew you away for a certain use. 

#30 Magenta on Mars.

But after using a Baader Contrast Booster filter, which was better than the #30, the only color filter I still use

is a #56 green for collimation of my 4" apo.

#9 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Viking 1

• Loc: 40°28'36.8"N 75°12'30.5"W

Posted 24 June 2022 - 11:40 AM

I've got pretty much all of the commonly available Wratten filters, more as a "because I could" than a "because I need them."

Generally, the lightest possible version of each color is the one that appeals to me the most.

The ones that come in a 4 color pack are way too dark.

#10 Enceladus96

Enceladus96

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2022 - 12:18 PM

#30 Magenta on Mars.
But after using a Baader Contrast Booster filter, which was better than the #30, the only color filter I still use
is a #56 green for collimation of my 4" apo.

Yeah I still have not used the Contrast Booster on mars yet but I honestly thought it did great on Saturn. The cloud bands seemed more easily visible.

#11 erin

erin

Apollo

• Loc: MA

Posted 27 June 2022 - 07:29 AM

The #8 yellow believe it or not. I had tried the #12 yellow and couldn’t stand the strong yellow shift. I picked up a #8 for almost nothing just for kicks and was surprised at how subtle the color shift was. The features on Jupiter popped nicely and the disk looked a bit warmer in tone but not yellow. It’s my go-to for planetary and lunar, though I like to compare it with the Baader M&S and the Baader CB. 

• BFaucett likes this

#12 Gabby76

Gabby76

Ranger 4

Posted 27 June 2022 - 09:55 PM

B+W FL-D filter (photographic filter) works great on Mars and quite well on Saturn and Jupiter

Baader M&SG, Baader Contrast Booster & Baader Solar Continuum Filter are my most often used

#13 thecelloronin

thecelloronin

Viking 1

• Loc: Lowcountry (USA)

Posted 27 June 2022 - 11:36 PM

Not to take it off topic so soon, but how does a green filter help with collimation?

• therealdmt likes this

#14 Starman1

Starman1

Stargeezer

• Vendors

Posted 28 June 2022 - 08:46 AM

--monochromatic, so no chromatic aberration in the image

--reduced bandwidth reduces atmospheric scintillation, making the star image sharper, whether artificial or stellar

--darkens the field, making diffraction rings more visible in the star image.

• therealdmt likes this

#15 thecelloronin

thecelloronin

Viking 1

Posted 28 June 2022 - 08:52 AM

Would it be useful in my dob with my Catseye tools? Particularly for bringing out autocollimator reflections?

#16 Starman1

Starman1

Stargeezer

• Vendors

Posted 28 June 2022 - 09:37 AM

Would it be useful in my dob with my Catseye tools? Particularly for bringing out autocollimator reflections?

No.  In my experience the green filter is only useful for refractors.

It would make the autocollimator reflections darker.

If you have the Catseye tools, what you need is a lot of light in the tube.

With the AC, I point my scope to the west, up maybe 40° from the setting sun (so no direct sunlight enters the tube), to make all 4 images in the AC nice and bright.

And I use a white reflective center marker to make image 3 bright enough to see easily (images are P-1-2-3 in order of brightness).  If your center marker is dark,

you will be frustrated using the AC.

• thecelloronin likes this

#17 StarBurger

StarBurger

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 28 June 2022 - 09:48 AM

The only filter I ever found useful was the Baader Neodymium Moon and Skyglow.

This was for AP. Don't use it anymore as the town replaced the sodiums with LEDs.

I feel I should get a refund from the town.....

#18 vdog

vdog

Vanguard

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 28 June 2022 - 12:02 PM

The only color filters I still have are a Baader blue and a GSO Wratten #47.   These get used only when I'm observing Venus.  I don't know how useful I can say these are as I still can't confirm seeing any clouds, maybe just some slight albedo differences.

For Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn, I always use the Baader Contrast Booster or Moon and Skyglow.  These are way more useful in bringing out details and color. 

Edited by vdog, 28 June 2022 - 12:03 PM.

• Enceladus96 likes this

#19 Enceladus96

Enceladus96

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2022 - 12:45 PM

The only color filters I still have are a Baader blue and a GSO Wratten #47.   These get used only when I'm observing Venus.  I don't know how useful I can say these are as I still can't confirm seeing any clouds, maybe just some slight albedo differences.

For Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn, I always use the Baader Contrast Booster or Moon and Skyglow.  These are way more useful in bringing out details and color. 

Baader make great filters. I think the Atmosphere of Venus is below human vision on the spectrum(less that 400nm). Only filters/cameras can pick that stuff up if im not mistaken. 

• vdog likes this

#20 thecelloronin

thecelloronin

Viking 1

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:13 PM

No.  In my experience the green filter is only useful for refractors.

It would make the autocollimator reflections darker.

If you have the Catseye tools, what you need is a lot of light in the tube.

With the AC, I point my scope to the west, up maybe 40° from the setting sun (so no direct sunlight enters the tube), to make all 4 images in the AC nice and bright.

And I use a white reflective center marker to make image 3 bright enough to see easily (images are P-1-2-3 in order of brightness).  If your center marker is dark,

you will be frustrated using the AC.

Gotcha. I’ve got the Catseye red LED and that works exceptionally well with the white hot spot, provided the mirror is clean enough. My refractor I don’t believe is collimatable. Looks like I don’t have much for green filters at the moment. Thanks!

• Enceladus96 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics